Globecast System Comments?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The manual on the website is an older version.
The Globecast receiver does not have blind search.

Or, maybe it used to, but they took it out of the firmware to discourage other uses for it?
Of course, maybe it's a whole different receiver.
Have they always shipped the same one?

The manual on the website is an older version. The Globecast receiver does not have blind search.
According to Globecast Technical Support, the only Globecast receiver that can currently be subscribed to Globecast is the SE830 - the same model whose manual is linked on the Sadoun web site (which is the manual that shows a blind search).
And thanks for the first hand report on the difference between Universal and Standard quality levels - that is certainly enough to make me only use Standard LNBFs with Globecast.
By the way, was your receiver purchased new or used - and what is the model number ?

Well, the anecdotal evidence presented in this thread doesn't make a strong case for which type of LNB to use.
It's possible the universal lnb tested is just not as hot as the standard.
If there is other testimony, that's another matter. :)

Doesn't sound like it's a candidate for running a motor.
But the case for handling a couple of LNBs through a 22khz or diesqc switch is promising.

The reason I'm paying attention to this thread is two part:
. maybe I'll run across one of these systems, and now I know it'd be worth picking up.
. I might want to subscribe myself or a friend to some of their services (now that I've looked 'em up).

All in all, I've found the thread very educational. ;)
I really never looked up Globecast before, nor knew what they offered.

According to Globecast Technical Support, the only Globecast receiver that can currently be subscribed to Globecast is the SE830 - the same model whose manual is linked on the Sadoun web site (which is the manual that shows a blind search).
And thanks for the first hand report on the difference between Universal and Standard quality levels - that is certainly enough to make me only use Standard LNBFs with Globecast.
By the way, was your receiver purchased new or used - and what is the model number ?
This was purchased new and is the same SE830 that has been around for a while. On Globecast's website, the manual download is for version 1.0 yet the receiver ships with manual version 2.1. There are some differences between the receiver currently shipping and what is reflected in the old version 1.0 manual on their download page.

About Setanta Sport, Scott. It is on IA-5, and with a globecast receiver you can subscribe to it. The last time i Subscribed it was between $10.00 and $15.00 per month. I wish I still had my old receiver especially since they now carry so many Premeiership games.

Well, the anecdotal evidence presented in this thread doesn't make a strong case for which type of LNB to use.
It's possible the universal lnb tested is just not as hot as the standard.
Hook - can you give us the model number of the LNBs you tried ? That would settle that question.

PS Setanta is $15 per month (and is why I am want to install a Globecast receiver - the one in my sig is still in transit)

less interested in Globecast receiver

I just read the PDF manual 1.0, and it has at most some sort of transponder scan, based on a pre-existing table of satellites.
Nothing suggested it ever had a real blind-scan capability.

I'd like to read the ver 2 manual, but right now, this looks like a pretty undesirable receiver for anything beyond what it is marketed for: reception of pay TV.
And for that, it seems quite adequate.

Hey, knowledge is good to have, regardless of what it is. :cool:

Well, I am not sure what the exact definition of "blind scan" is, but it was previously suggested that you had to enter all the information manually, and that is not the case according to the manual.

I have this receiver. I used it to subscribe to Setanta until the Bundesliga games went to another channel. It can not control a motor. It can be used with a Disqec switch. That's how I was using it with a 4x1 switch and 4 lnb's on three different dishes. It does not have blind scan, so it can't find channels, however if you already know the freq. pid and SR values for the channel you want to watch you can manually input the data. The autoscan works like any other receiver with that function.

Hook - can you give us the model number of the LNBs you tried ? That would settle that question.

PS Setanta is $15 per month (and is why I am want to install a Globecast receiver - the one in my sig is still in transit)

The Universal is DMS International Universal Quad LNBF BSC324-2 which is similar to a QDH-031 0.3dB and the standard is a Sadoun KUL2 Dual LNBF 0.4dB.

Yes, the specs on the BSC324-2 is 0.3db and 53-63db gain, which are both very good, so if you are getting 10 better quality on Standard, then that seems to verify the earlier reports that the Globecast receiver does better with Standard LNBFs.

kstuart,

To answer your PM question, the Globecast receiver does not support BLIND SEARCH. If it says that in their manual, then it incorrect. If they say Auto scan, that is not BLIND SEARCH.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts