GlobeCast World TV Leaving G19 12/31/13 "Rumor Alert"

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Let's hope it will be offered in addition to, not instead of their satellite service. As many have pointed out, they would likely lose much of their viewership.

With most ISPs limiting monthly bandwidth usage, something's gotta give, considering the enormous increase in streaming services. I had to get a commercial account.

I have reached out to Michele Gosetti Globecast's new Interim CEO.

There's nothing on Globecast World TV's website (the old one, about the satellite service) about satellite service ending. But then again, they still list Al Jazeera as available for free, so I think they haven't updated the website lately.

Why do they do that ? Is bandwidth in scarce supply ? Mine has no limits...so far.

Just because they are TERRIFIED that somebody will successfully pull off a IP cable platform with enough channels that people switch to them. Especially if everybody has unlimited bandwidth. Then the old-school guys will be left in the dinosaur league.

We ALL know what happened to the dinosaur's....

The only thing I could find out today is that all the pay channels ($) are leaving. Can not confirm that the free channels are leaving. :)

It would be nice to think a parallel satellite system would continue to operate for the free international channels (just as Glorystar does for the religious channels). But then, they wouldn't need to sell a special receiver that does the Nagravision decoding for the pay channels. It may just come down to "wait and see." :)

Seems like a lot of content is going to IP and a lot of new content is going to IP instead of satellite. Hopefully with all this space freeing up someone else will take their place with free content that is just as good if not better.

Stargazer said:
Seems like a lot of content is going to IP and a lot of new content is going to IP instead of satellite. Hopefully with all this space freeing up someone else will take their place with free content that is just as good if not better.

Or a new sub service :) with better rates then the dish/direct junk in the trunk.

Well you know what the problem with all that is? How many different STB’s can you have for all the IPTV junk? There’s no universal STB to handle the multitude of stuff out there.
You’ll burn your house down with all the flippin STB’s you need for all the different stuff! This is insane, they need to pass a law that REQUIRES all broadcasters of IPTV and Satellite TV to allow users to purchase a universal STB that receives everything with one flippin box!

Just imagine the nightmare of having 50 bazillion tuners in your living room !
It would soon look something like this !

Also, does anyone know if DMC is part of the Globecast stuff or are they independent?

Edit: Never mind, I found the answer, yes, DMC is carried on G19 by Globecast. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GlobeCast_World_TV

I would really, really hate to lose that channel. :cry:

Attachments

• original.jpg
    original.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 121
Last edited by a moderator:
Globecast is a service provider. If RT or someone else wants to reach homes across North America via free to air satellite, surely they can just sign up with someone else or take their own lease like BVN, CCTV, France 24, DW or any other of the international channels. AFAIK, Globecast doesn't have exclusive distribution rights.

From what Lyngsat reports, DMC is uplinked via RRSat, not Globecast, so that one should be fine I think :) But according to the latest rumors heard by wallyhts and rv1pop, it may well be that none of the FTA channels will go anywhere.

Last edited:
Crap….

This totally blows…..

Both my dad and I like to watch RT for the documentaries (the ones where James Brown explores Russia).. Their news sucks though. So totally biased that it’s unbearable to watch.
I just discovered EBRU which seems to be a BBC America clone. I just turned my dad onto the channel last week.

Now this. Just ****ing lovely…. :mad:

There won’t be anything left on 97 that I have any interest in. Except DMC. I watch the Buddhist stuff on there when they do English subtitles.
Or my dad. Nothing left for him at all. He only speaks English and doesn’t do religion so that’s the end of 97 for him.
The only thing on FTA for my dad now will be PBS and RTV..

Flippin idiots with this IP crap.. Losing ThisTV in a few weeks is gonna hurt me big times. That’s a primary channel for me.
FTA keeps shrinking down to nothing, for me.

It’s this BS that made me subscribe to Dish. :mad:

Question: Will people still be able to watch EBRU on the Roku box after this? Will it be free on Roku or is there a charge?
I’m looking at getting two of the Roku boxes, one for me and one for my dad.
I have Amazon Prime and my dad has asked me about Netflix (I don’t have and am not impressed with their offerings).
I’m going to suggest Amazon Prime for my dad because it’s only ~ $85 a year which is ~ $7 a month broken down. Not bad.
I guess the whole flippin world is going to this stupid IPTV mess. No avoiding it, might as well go ahead and get on board with it I suppose.
I’m using Amazon Prime to introduce myself to Doctor Who, at the urgent urging of several friends. :rolleyes:

"Their news sucks though. So totally biased that it’s unbearable to watch"

Really!? I feel the same way about foxnews, cnn, msnbc and the rest of the mainstream media, it's WAY more biased. It's pretty clear some don't really like to hear whats really going on in this country.

"Their news sucks though. So totally biased that it’s unbearable to watch"

Really!? I feel the same way about foxnews, cnn, msnbc and the rest of the mainstream media, it's WAY more biased. It's pretty clear some don't really like to hear whats really going on in this country.

Don't try to take any sort of deep meaning from anything Dee says between rants. She's our resident drama queen, but she means well. :drama:

lol

Don't try to take any sort of deep meaning from anything Dee says between rants. She's our resident drama queen, but she means well. :drama:

lol

Oh I see. I'd like to say more, but I rather not cross the murky rules on this website, it's one of the top reasons I refuse to be a paying supporter. But anyways, getting on topic, nothing wrong with RT news. I believe it covers things the mainstream media won't touch with a 10 foot pole. I might as well sell my 36 inch dish and the EA dish I was going to use to point at 97, if things are going to keep disappearing, I might as well load up the attic with tv antennas.

. But anyways, getting on topic, nothing wrong with RT news. I believe it covers things the mainstream media won't touch with a 10 foot pole. I might as well sell my 36 inch dish and the EA dish I was going to use to point at 97, if things are going to keep disappearing, I might as well load up the attic with tv antennas.

I agree with your opinion about RT, sadly for me, Al Jazeera English which used to be uplinkied by GlobeCast has been gone for some months now. Those have been my main source for international news on 97, and nowadays Al Etejah also in 97, and next door on 95 CCTV News.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)