Gonna Switch

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dslram

Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
Springfield IL
Gonna switch and have Directv installed is there anything special I need to know before I place the order?
I do have HD now with dual DVR with my "other system".....I am not very familiar with Directv so any tips would be appreciated.
Also would it be better to call Directv or find a local retailer

Thanks
JIM

You just have a single HD DVR right now? How many TVs do you need to feed? I used a local retailer because I wanted to be sure I got a pair of HR24 HD DVRs.

If you need service at 2 TVs you'll need 2 boxes. 1 HD-DVR and one HD or SD box for the 2nd TV. If you want to take advantage of the whole home DVR, the 2nd TV needs to be on a HD box.

So you'd probably want a HR24 and a H24.

Using a local retailer may be a good.route to go to ensure you get the latest receivers.

I have 4 TV setup now but Im going to go to 5 with Directv
I have the dual dvr HD for the "mancave" and the rest are the standard boxes......

Last edited:
With a new DirecTV install with HD, you'll get an SWM installation. This only needs one coax to each location.
You may want to also get the Whole House DVR option (MRV) so that the locations with non-DVR receivers can view from the DVR.

Ihope this reply wasn't too late. :)

Let us know how everything went.

I have 4 TV setup now but Im going to go to 5 with Directv
I have the dual dvr HD for the "mancave" and the rest are the standard boxes......
Direct does not have a dual DVR so you will need a separate receiver or DVR for each TV. You can share receivers/DVRs, but you will not be able to watch two different channels on both TVs at the same time

DirecTV is vastly cheaper at my house. The two most important reasons are; 1) DirecTV has more basic channels in their lower packages than Dish Network does, I want access to Versus and DIY network. This means I must subscribe to the Dish Top250 plan. With DirecTV both channels are in the middle Programing package. 2) DirecTV only charges an extra $4.99 for each secondary receiver, where as Dish charges up to $17 dollars for each extra receiver.

When Dish raised their secondary receiver fees, my Dish Network bill went up by $45 dollars per month.
Currently DirecTV's new subscriber incentives are vastly cheaper than my current Dish Network service or my local cable companies. Plus if you have a friend or anybody that has DirecTV you can get another $10 off your programing per month for 12 months. My DirecTV bill is now less than 1/3 of my previous Dish Network account per month.

As is always the case YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) depending on the content and equipment you want. Blanket statements that states DirecTV is more expensive than either Dish Network or Cable (on a Nationwide basis) is ridiculous as well as the statement being less than constructive.

John

As far as cost, I cant say about Dish, but I just switched from cable, and even after all the rebates are gone, I will save almost $40 and month, and am getting beter PQ, many more HD channels, and regular channels, plus more than twice the hardrive space on my DVR!

Ya lets take a look at what Comcast in my area is charging. Since Comcast is now doing there own version of MRV I thought I would price them out.
1.Okay so after the first year they will begin charging you a receiver fee of $15.95(they do not waive your 1st receiver fee like *D* and *E* do.
2.Since I was looking at a 3 room set up they told me each additional HD Receiver that I would need to use there MRV would cost an additional $13.95 a month EACH!!!!
So just in equipment fees alone I would be paying close to $45 a MONTH!!!!!!!!!!
With *D* in equipment fees I will be paying $10 a month. To me I don't know how anyone can say cable is cheaper(at least in my area-Denver)

There's two TV providers in my area.. Eagle Communications (cable) and NexTech (fiber, like Fios)

Eagle
$51.95 - expanded basic
$13.95 - Digital
$4.95 ea - receiver rental
$13.95 - single tuner DVR
$19.95 - dual tuner DVR.

Grand total Eagle Digital for 4 TVs including one dual tuner DVR: $100.70/mo for approx 100 channels, no premium, with approx 40 in HD.

NexTech
$46.95 - 'The' package (they only offer 2 packages)
$10.95 - 'Variety pack' - about 20 channels found in digital cable like Sleuth/chiller/Fox business/etc.
$11.95 ea - HD reciever
$17.95 ea - single tuner HD DVR (no dual tuner available)

Grand total Nextech for 2 HD+1 HD DVR: $96.75/mo for approx 90 channels, no premium, approx 30 in HD (and only a single tuner DVR)

DirecTV
$34.99 - Choice Xtra for the first year ($49.99 second year)
$10 - DVR service
$5 ea - additional receivers

Grand total DirecTV Choice Xtra for 2HD+Dual tuner DVR: $60/mo for approx 170 channels, approx 55 in HD. 2nd year will be $75/mo.
Assuming no haggling for new deal after 2nd year, would be $90/mo. Any way you slice it, you get more with D* for less money.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)