Good indoor antenna?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

varaonaid

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
Hello,

A friend of our is allowing us to use their "camp" for a week or so and they don't have any tv. We're thinking of bringing a small one along with us. We don't have any antenna currently and we've been thinking of getting one anyway since we're moving. I'm wondering, what are you recommendations for a decent/good indoor antenna? Most of the towers are around 25 miles away. Is there any hope for decent reception? I read on a different post a recommendation for the HDTVa which is a directional amplified indoor antenna. Would something like this work? What else would you recommend?

Obviously, since it's temporary and not our place, it has to be an indoor solution. :D

Thanks in advance!
Rae

Pinpoint the exact location either on AntennaWeb or via lon and lat on TV Fool - Home.

These sites will give you a better idea if an indoor antenna will work at the location you propose. If you're in a hole or shadowed from the transmitters by some kind of obstruction these sites can help.

In many cases 25 miles is stretching the reception capabilities of an indoor antenna, but I've also heard of reports of reception at further distances with an indoor antenna.

Thanks for the info. I did pinpoint my location. It looks doable for at least a few channels on an indoor antenna.

My question now is what models would folks recommend for a good indoor antenna? I do think that I'll need a decent one to pull in the channels. Any suggestions on that would be really helpful. Thanks again!!

Do you need VHF and UHF reception or just UHF?

For UHF many like the Zenith Silver Sensor. Almost everybody has a knock-off of it, even Channel Master makes one.

For Both try some of the powered and unpowered antennas from Wal-Mart.

Unless you have a clean powerful signal, indoor antennas are problems - like dropouts when somebody walks across the room, etc.

Good luck.

I went back over the info from the antenna websites. Looks like mostly UHF with one high VHF. So if the single UHF antennas do a better job, that would be interesting and I could certainly live without that one additional channel. Thx for all your help!! :D

I recently discovered something about indoor antennas. They tend to work better when located by a window. That never dawned on me before. Became more noticeable with the signal meter of the new D/A converters.