Good starter system?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ilikeme

Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Denton, Texas
Anyone have any recommendations for a good starter/hobby system? I preferable want a dish with a motor and would like to pick up at least Ku and C-Band. Thanks!

SatelliteAV has a Ku starter system:
http://satelliteav.com/p/shop/?ws_pid=1611&ws_cat=413
There is a lot to learn to set up and run FTA.
Once you get more familiar, it's easy to add a motor.
We can give recommendations.

For C-band, you would want an 8 or 10 foot BUD.
There are some recent threads where members ask where to buy new ones.
See those threads for details, but the short version is: expensive commercial dishes.

The rest of us shop around for used/decommissioned dishes.
Many good ones can be had for the effort of removing them.
(or up to a couple hundred dollars)

This is not a comprehensive answer.
We can do better once we have a better idea on your needs.

If your thinking of scanning both c and ku and only interested in one set up and dish i would get at least a 6 footer or greater dish with a 18" Actuator and a c/ku LNB like a 741.

Thanks for the advice so far. I am mainly looking for ku band for now. C-Band would be nice, but I did not realize a BUD was required, and currently do not have the space for that. It looks like the best option for me right now would be a good Ku system with motor. I see that one posted above, and that looks like a good starter system and a great price. Any other recommendations that also include a motor (does not necessarily have to be a bundle.) HD would be nice also.

Satellite Av is a great place to buy but i wish they would sell a motorized system.Other places to try are sadoun Sales!but not so sure how good they are these days also Ricks satellite and Hypermegasat.

Last edited:
I strongly recommend you learn some fundamentals, and how to operate your receiver before complicating life with a motor.

Here are some motors to look at, in order of preference:
- STAB HH-90
- DG-380 (Sadoun)
- DMSI-6100 (any DMS dealer)
the 6100 is new, so no long term info; others have history

I'll also suggest Hypermegasat, should they have items you need.

The receiver mentioned, does HD.

You don't list your city in the user Location box.
We also would be able to help better if we knew what you wanted to receive.
eg: PBS is available in HD, but you may not care if near a large city.

Would this be another decent kit?
For another $30 it includes HD.
No.
Smaller dish, a critical item in FTA.
An older, and I think lesser receiver.
A lesser LNBF.
No install kit.
Offset the above for getting motor for your $30. Not a good tradeoff, IMO.

As I said in previous post, HD capability was included.

Ah, good point, although I think the upgraded receiver is the same. I think I will get the one you mentioned first and eventually add a motor.

I bought my whole ku system from sadoun back 4 years ago!Still working fine.Heres a few pics of dish mounted on my garage roof.I used a 3 ft tripod which was alittle shakey untill i added extra support to the bottom of the mast.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 141
  • 510.jpg
    510.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 167
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 145
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
For your first fixed dish system, and later when you add a motor, it will be much easier to have easy access to it.
It's much less frustrating if you don't have to pull out a ladder or stand on your head for alignment and tweaking.
FTA is not quite like aiming a TV antenna.

Even if your location would benefit from a roof install, get some experience mounting your dish waist or chest high.
Some members have mounted their dish to the back or side of the house.
You'll have to decide if that could work for you. :)

I am planning on putting it in the back yard on a pole mount for this very reason. What satellites do you recommend pointing at first?

Saw what had to be at least a 8' mesh mounted atop a two story home yesterday. Next to a pizza dish!

Ku suggestions

Yea, 97 west is where you go to get experience and variety.
There are so many channels, you may initially ignore some that don't seem attractive.
Keep an open mind, and keep checking back. You might be surprised.

Then, if you like PBS in HD, and aren't close enough to Dallas to get OTA reception, there's 125 west. :up

Cubavision on 30 west is amusing.
I think all programming is in Spanish, but on weekends they run new American movies in English, with Spanish subtitles turned on.
(or maybe it's Friday & Saturday nights; I'm too far west to see that bird)
Not your first choice, but maybe something to add variety later on. :)

Satellite Av is a great place to buy but i wish they would sell a motorized system.Other places to try are sadoun Sales!but not so sure how good they are these days also Ricks satellite and Hypermegasat.
Stan, I can't speak for why Brian doesn't sell motors but I've had several junk Sg2100's in the last couple of years. Another one died on me last night. Thankfully I've got a spare DG380. There's been a lot of clones over the years that I think maybe flooded the market with junk motors..just my opinion. Ilikeme should ask others here for what's a good motor nowadays and who keeps them in stock. I'd say Sat Av for the other stuff he needs...dish, receiver, lnb etc...

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.