GoogleTV

ABC Nightly news had a story on this tonight, they were demonstrating using Dish Network but no mention of Dish, has to stink for them not getting the name out there

That's exactly how it works. The GoogleTV just overlays it's UI over your receiver's output. Commands are sent either through HDMI, network connection, or IR Blaster depending on device.
That's good because I have no spare HDMI ports left.

What about broadband?? Do both boxes need it, or just the DVR??

Google TV uses a pass through HDMI. It has a HDMI In and HDMI out port. You will connect the HDMI from your Dish DVR to the Logitech Revue, then from the Revue to your TV. You will connect via broadband through the ethernet port and I assume that will have to have one in the DVR as well.

logitech-revue-back.jpg

Last edited:
I am getting excited about GoogleTV. :)

I just saw this...

5 Reasons We're Tingly About Google TV

Yes! Yes! And YES! That's what I've been trying to say all along rolled up into a nice article! This is why I want a GoogleTV especially now that I've switched to an Android phone.

I wonder how good the pass through is. Hope it doesn't degrade the signal.

I'm a little concerned about that too, but I figure if messed up the picture too much, someone would have called a "time out" already on the product.

Just to add to the pic that was posted above, I believe that the Revue has Wireless-N. We'll know for sure tomorrow.

I have the VIP922. From what I have read Dish will charge a monthly fee for access. Will there be a separate box needed or will the Google TV software be downloaded into the receiver and be integrated in to the 922? I understand not much has been released other than what has been posted on here but was curious if anyone had more more info to share..

I don't quite understand the advantage of purchasing Google TV through Dish, rather than just buying it myself. If I purchase the unit from Dish, there will be a monthly fee. (Is the monthly fee $4 as I read somewhere else)? If I buy it myself, will I still have to pay the monthly fee? Anyone know the MSRP for the GoogleTV box?

Last edited:
I have the VIP922. From what I have read Dish will charge a monthly fee for access. Will there be a separate box needed or will the Google TV software be downloaded into the receiver and be integrated in to the 922? I understand not much has been released other than what has been posted on here but was curious if anyone had more more info to share..

Charlie said on last month's Charlie Chat that the 922 does NOT have the processing speed to do google search features, even though this receiver was sold to the public with these search features listed in CES videos form Scott and others. SO he said that you would need the new vapor ware receiver the "923" to have full integrated experience. In other words we were sold a "buggy piece of sh*t "of a receiver. By the way that is my nickname for the 922 in the remote access . So unless Charlie was Wrong and the dish engineers have figured how to do google and they are not telling us, we won't get google.

I find this idea about processing power to be false, because I already have dnla support using play on applications. I can watch Netflix , Hula shows just fine over the 922 NOW. I can see them adding search features for the internet as well. All they need to do is the proper software download and it should work. But that would defeat the whole idea of the $4.00 google fee and selling the stand alone google box too. So who knows?

Charlie said on last month's Charlie Chat that the 922 does NOT have the processing speed to do google search features, even though this receiver was sold to the public with these search features listed in CES videos form Scott and others. SO he said that you would need the new vapor ware receiver the "923" to have full integrated experience. In other words we were sold a "buggy piece of sh*t "of a receiver. By the way that is my nickname for the 922 in the remote access . So unless Charlie was Wrong and the dish engineers have figured how to do google and they are not telling us, we won't get google.

I find this idea about processing power to be false, because I already have dnla support using play on applications. I can watch Netflix , Hula shows just fine over the 922 NOW. I can see them adding search features for the internet as well. All they need to do is the proper software download and it should work. But that would defeat the whole idea of the $4.00 google fee and selling the stand alone google box too. So who knows?

Bingo the 922 can do what the google box can do. Why should charlie admit that and lose the overchage $4.00 fee for google intergration and the change to sell another box?

I agree that the 922 could most of what Google TV could do, but it does not have the CPU which can decode flash, Windows media and other formats on the fly from the CPU.

That is the difference. If DISH did it on the 922 they would need to use software which could get messy.

I don't quite understand the advantage of purchasing Google TV through Dish, rather than just buying it myself. If I purchase the unit from Dish, there will be a monthly fee. (Is the monthly fee $4 as I read somewhere else)? If I buy it myself, will I still have to pay the monthly fee? Anyone know the MSRP for the GoogleTV box?

The monthly fees will be charged for any google box hooked to dish network. To be simple in order to have an integrated search function and the ability to record from the net onto dish dvr you will need to pay the $4.00 fee. If you have no interest in the google integration with dish then no you do not have to pay the fee.

Thanks a lot guys for the quick answers! From what you said, it looks like I would probably be better off buying it from dish to save on the purchase price. I guess we will know tomorrow when they make the big announcement.

I agree that the 922 could most of what Google TV could do, but it does not have the CPU which can decode flash, Windows media and other formats on the fly from the CPU.

That is the difference. If DISH did it on the 922 they would need to use software which could get messy.

Not only that, but I feel the DLNA support for video on the 922 is pretty hit or miss. It may work fine for you people using the PlayOn software (which don't get me started how they have the nerve to actually charge people for "premium" channels in a desperate attempt to make revenue) but the 922 hardly plays any of the videos over the network that my PS3 can do with no issues whatsoever. It's a pretty sloppy implementation of DLNA if you ask me.

I'd rather have a better Netflix/Amazon/etc. experience through apps than the bailing twine and barbed wire way of doing it through PlayOn.

The UI/browser in the 922 is based on webkit which would get part of the way there towards rendering the page well on your TV, but add Flash and some of the more advanced HTML5 (which is what all those GTV apps are written in) and I think the system will start bogging down. Start missing timers and crashing while streaming and we'll have even more people upset with the receiver then there are now. DISH understands the capabilities of the hardware, especially now after going back on promises off 922 features that haven't made it. :cough Full browser :cough I think we are probably better off having it a separate box. Let the 922 do what it's good at, let GoogleTV do the rest.

All they need to do is the proper software download and it should work. But that would defeat the whole idea of the $4.00 google fee and selling the stand alone google box too.
What are you guys talking about? IIRC you already pay an extra $4 for the 922!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts