Got 2nd HR20 (HR20-100)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I think they are new. Its on my account too but I didnt want to order through D*.

This is my thought exactly, If I can find a good deal locally, I'll do that, that way I won't have to take time off work for them to plug in my new rec.... I can them get it when I want, may have to pay abit more, but don't have to deal with D* at all.

Jimbo

Couldnt take payments? I think they just bill your account if you are in good standing. You can always try retention and get if for free of even cheaper then 199. If not, they usually throw in free programming.

i went through retention and a guy gave me the dvr for 99 bucks. but directv wouldn't honor it because he never noted my account why he did it. believe me, it was a tense two weeks.

beside, the phone call, i know have it in writing as well, that they wouldn't bill me or give me payments.

I am guessing by all the comments on here that I can't get all 3 of my HR10-250's replaced for free with the HR20's. If they change all the HD channels over to Mpeg-4 I don't see how they can get around being forced to replace them for free since they are making your box obsolete with a different technology.

I am guessing by all the comments on here that I can't get all 3 of my HR10-250's replaced for free with the HR20's. If they change all the HD channels over to Mpeg-4 I don't see how they can get around being forced to replace them for free since they are making your box obsolete with a different technology.

Ramy,
It's really hard to say what they will do about that.
I know I have 1 H10's being used and don't see them being replaced for free, although I would like that, I'm not counting on it.

I think it will be another year or so before all the Mpeg 2 programming is actually moved over to Mpeg4, so they will say that you had plenty of time, I'd imagine.
I see them moving everything over slowly..... HD first, then probably Movie and Sports programming then eventually the rest of the SD programming.

Jimbo

Thats been the 1 million dollar question. Will D* upgrade all of the HR10-250's when MPEG4 is prevalent and it makes the HR10 less then full HD capable? I think folks have been slowly replacing units at discounted and some free. Not an official replacement process. That being said, I think the last hold outs will be able to get things significantly discounted. I dont think completely free though. Its been work to get the discounts. Maybe they will since the counts will be a lot smaller.

I paid full price for my first HR10 but got the second one completely free on lease. I know we will be keeping at least 1 in the house since my wife loves the Tivo interface and doesn't really care about national HD. She mostly watches OTA HD. So that means my paid one stays. Its also got an added disk. I might keep the retired lease one in case something happens to my original one. Its not like they are making more of them and its nice having a backup plan.

Directv stated way back when they announced that the Spaceway sats weren't going to be used for internet anymore that they would replace everything for free, but since then I haven't heard a word about it.

Directv stated way back when they announced that the Spaceway sats weren't going to be used for internet anymore that they would replace everything for free, but since then I haven't heard a word about it.

I hope you can find that in writing, if so, then you have something ... If not, I doubt you'll get it all free.

Jimbo

I hope you can find that in writing, if so, then you have something ... If not, I doubt you'll get it all free.

Jimbo

Yeah I know, I will probably have a hard time finding it now.

Thats been the 1 million dollar question. Will D* upgrade all of the HR10-250's when MPEG4 is prevalent and it makes the HR10 less then full HD capable?

Why limit this question to the HR10-250 when there are thousands of other MPEG2 HD boxes out there? I know when I check the D* web site it says I can get a H20 for free, since I'm a good customer, but will everyone get one or more for free? What about the dish/switch upgrades that also need to be done for MPEG4? I can see this continuing with some folks getting everything for free, others paying $99 and others with something in between. It would be nice if D* just came out with a standard answer and everyone was treated the same, no game playing having to call multiple times or threaten to cancel to get a deal.

Why limit this question to the HR10-250 when there are thousands of other MPEG2 HD boxes out there? I know when I check the D* web site it says I can get a H20 for free, since I'm a good customer, but will everyone get one or more for free? What about the dish/switch upgrades that also need to be done for MPEG4? I can see this continuing with some folks getting everything for free, others paying $99 and others with something in between. It would be nice if D* just came out with a standard answer and everyone was treated the same, no game playing having to call multiple times or threaten to cancel to get a deal.

I totally agree. I wish it was a simple free swap all non-MPEG4 HD boxes and upgrade dishes. If they did it last year and continued through this year, then we'd be mostly upgraded by the time of the new HD channels. I guess they would rather do it on a need basis originating from the customer for now. I wasnt in the room when the made the decision so I can only guess they would rather pay later then now.

Directv just offered me a great deal in my opinion. They will replace all 3 of my HR10's for Hr20's, my dish, and swtich for $299 and here is the kicker. The receivers will be mine because I am turning in my old ones.

Directv just offered me a great deal in my opinion. They will replace all 3 of my HR10's for Hr20's, my dish, and swtich for $299 and here is the kicker. The receivers will be mine because I am turning in my old ones.

Thats a great deal. Just watch the fine print and if they did indeed offer as ownership, make sure you check. My guess they will be considered lease and you are bound to the 2 year deal. I don't actually think the 2 year thing is an issue since all they ask is return the receivers and you can opt out. But then, who is going anywhere after this fall with all the new HD? :)

GET THE OWNING PART IN WRITING!

I second that. They are not really doing ownership deals. Their model is lease so definitely check and get it written down!

I asked the guy twice. This is Installation Support that I talked to about this. I will try to get it in writing somehow.

Maybe you will get it, but I've seen way too many posts from folks saying they were told they owned the box and then seeing on the bill that it's leased. Heck, I have the protection plan and when they had to replace an owned R15 the replacement box showed up as leased, took a long phone call to get D* to change it back to owned.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)