Got 2nd HR20 (HR20-100)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I totally agree. I wish it was a simple free swap all non-MPEG4 HD boxes and upgrade dishes. If they did it last year and continued through this year, then we'd be mostly upgraded by the time of the new HD channels. I guess they would rather do it on a need basis originating from the customer for now. I wasnt in the room when the made the decision so I can only guess they would rather pay later then now.

Last year it was speculated, (possibly printed, don't remember) that those of us with recievers would be upgraded to MPEG 4 equipment for free, in most cases that did not happen, probably because D* realized that they could get money for them as people started to hear about them.

Jimbo

I can believe the post about owning the receivers. I own 2 HR20's, a H20, and a R15 that are on my account. I had a HR20 upgrade sent for the R15 and I checked with the customer care rep while I was on the phone with them. I owned all four receivers that I am using. I asked the rep to check again to make sure and she said that I owned them all and left a note in the account saying that with her rep id number in the note. I checked my bill online a few minutes ago and it had an extra receiver fee for three receivers and not a leased fee. The HR20 that is being installed on next Saturday will be a leased receiver though.

Last edited:
Well guy's I did call back last night and talked to D* and they told me that YES I am available to get a second HR20.
I am hoping for a -100 Black, but not holding my breath, I asked, but they said it depends on what the installer has in stock.

I also told them I did not need an installer as EVERYTHING is already in place.
She looked and could not find an option for them to just send it out.
She did say they use Fed Ex ....
So I will have another one on Tuesday (morning I hope, scheduled).
Hopefully I can tell the guy that I will do the install and he can move on, but I doubt he'll go for that. So I'll do my swap out with the bed room on Monday night.

Hoping to have a black one to go with the entertainment system.
btw, I got the upgrade and a dish for $ 199 + tax (same that was listed online).

My second one arrives Monday. Really looking forward to it.

I moved one of my OTA antennas in preparation. Since I dont need the primaries via OTA (NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox) I moved an antenna to the back of the house to get PBS HD. Our PBS is still trying to get a channel allocation change from the FCC so I dont get PBS unless I rotate my antenna in the opposite direction. With MPEG4 primary locals over Sat, it allows me to use one receiver to get just the PBS via OTA. There's actually really good HD programming on that channel.

My second one arrives Monday. Really looking forward to it.

I moved one of my OTA antennas in preparation. Since I dont need the primaries via OTA (NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox) I moved an antenna to the back of the house to get PBS HD. Our PBS is still trying to get a channel allocation change from the FCC so I dont get PBS unless I rotate my antenna in the opposite direction. With MPEG4 primary locals over Sat, it allows me to use one receiver to get just the PBS via OTA. There's actually really good HD programming on that channel.

Do you have a rotor on the antenna ?
I bought mine years ago when I first got a OTA set up, and am greatful I did :)

Jimbo

Do you have a rotor on the antenna ?
I bought mine years ago when I first got a OTA set up, and am greatful I did :)

Jimbo

I got 2 antennas both on rotors. One is a double 6 foot yagis 4 feet apart and pointed at Hartford towers (northwest) for UHF only. The second is a smaller VHF one at the opposite end of house pointed towards New Haven (southwest) for VHF channels. I took the smaller VHF one down since I am getting a slightly bigger and better one. I am also surrounded by woods with trees over 50 feet.

Since our Hartford PBS has not gone digital yet, I thought try the antenna I took down and point it towards Norwich (southeast) which is the completely opposite direction fo the normal UHF towers. I can do it with the main UHF antenna but that means going from 280 degrees to 90 degrees. Thats a big swing.

Since I have multiple DVRS, the small antenna that I took down will feed one unit and be my PBS DVR. The VHF one has UHF elements on it and it picked up a great signal and I was able to use an existing cable run. This is all temporary until the FCC gets their butt in gear and allows them their channel number. This has been going on for years.

I am getting my HR20's installed on saturday. Can't wait to watch my Reds lose in HD. :D

well, rumor has it homer bailey will make his start saturday. at least, that was the latest i read at reds.com.

anyhow, back on topic, hope you enjoy your new toy!

My HR20-100 arrived today. Ahhhh the smell of new plastic. Its like the new car smell. I am downloading the latest national release 015c. The first thing I noticed is how different it looks. I will post pics later but the front is a tad different especially the circle blue light but the back.... Totally different. Even the remote is different. Exact same buttons but flatter, bigger and easier to read. The new remote model is RC34. More to come.

I picked one up at Best Buy today to replace my standard DVR, which I plan on moving to the kids TV room. When I call to activate, will Directv schedule a time for the installer to come out and put up the new Dish? I am in OKC and will be able to get my local HD via Directv now. Also will they charge me to do this?

Call them right now to upgrade the dish. It shouldnt cost anything. Also see if they will give you some credits to offset against the cost of the HR20. If the front line CSR cant, ask to talk to retention group. They should deal. In meantime, you can activate the receivers regardless of a 5 LNB dish. It works with your current dish. Wont get you HD locals but if you dont want to wait, you can enjoy the receiver now.

gopokes ,

As far as the HD locals, I think it depends which package you gat as to if you gat charged for them.
If I recall correctly, the locals are included in the current package, something makes me think the HD will be extra, but I am uncertian about that.

Jimbo

Here's a major difference between the HR20-100 and -700. The ventilation is on the bottom of the unit versus the top for the -700. So its going to change the way I stack them. I have an open rack and I had a divider to put the -100 on the -700 but then I released both are blowing the hot air at each other. So tomorrow I am going to place the -100 on the bottom of the wire rack and stack the -700 on top so it can get the cool air from top. They are really very different boxes with regard to the physical appearance and parts.

Here's a major difference between the HR20-100 and -700. The ventilation is on the bottom of the unit versus the top for the -700. So its going to change the way I stack them. I have an open rack and I had a divider to put the -100 on the -700 but then I released both are blowing the hot air at each other. So tomorrow I am going to place the -100 on the bottom of the wire rack and stack the -700 on top so it can get the cool air from top. They are really very different boxes with regard to the physical appearance and parts.

Well I should find out somewhere between 8 and 13 hours from now, also find out if I am getting a 700 or the 100 I asked for.
Is there any reason I should definatly go for the 100 if it's not available in Black ?
The black originally was the only reason I wanted the 100 , until I was informed that there are very few out there. Originally I thought that all 100's were black.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts