Got 6 months for 30 bucks

chrisd_az

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 26, 2007
Chickasha, OK
Signed back up after a long break from Sirius 4 years. Bought a used car 2013 had it build in to the radio. So I signed back up but no Howard stern channel no 100 or 101 is that normal now or do u have to pay more for Howard now?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

They just offered me Select for 46% off for a year. Not bad but I still can't stand the audio quality, so I'm not biting.

I found a code for two months free (on satguys, maybe). Before that, I had 6 mos for $25, and they sent me a code for another 6 mos for $25, which I think I'll use when the two months are up.

The music channels are unlistenable. But, for less than $5/mo, I'll keep it for the talk/comedy/news.

I found a code for two months free (on satguys, maybe). Before that, I had 6 mos for $25, and they sent me a code for another 6 mos for $25, which I think I'll use when the two months are up.

The music channels are unlistenable. But, for less than $5/mo, I'll keep it for the talk/comedy/news.

I have Sirius XM in my car and my audio quality seems fine on music channels. It's some of the talk to me that sounds like it is being streamed over the internet using dialup speeds. Some seem garbled to me. But I love the service and I am getting 6 mos. for 25 dollars.

I got an 08 Avalanche to replace my old work truck at the beginning of March. I called in for the free 3 month trial and they offered me the 3 month free trial and XM All Access Package for $49 for 6 months after the free trial. I figured that was a decent deal and would get me through Dec 20th. I figure I can get the 6 months for $25 after that on the Select Package if I want to keep it. Audio quality is OK but FM sounds better to me. I need to get my ipod out of old truck, I left at lake house and try it.

I got an 08 Avalanche to replace my old work truck at the beginning of March. I called in for the free 3 month trial and they offered me the 3 month free trial and XM All Access Package for $49 for 6 months after the free trial. I figured that was a decent deal and would get me through Dec 20th. I figure I can get the 6 months for $25 after that on the Select Package if I want to keep it. Audio quality is OK but FM sounds better to me. I need to get my ipod out of old truck, I left at lake house and try it.
XM sounds better than Sirius.

I have Sirius XM in my car and my audio quality seems fine on music channels. It's some of the talk to me that sounds like it is being streamed over the internet using dialup speeds. Some seem garbled to me. But I love the service and I am getting 6 mos. for 25 dollars.

Is this a change for the better (in which case I'll consider resubscribing), or has it always been fine?
No. Sirius still sounds like crap.

Is this a change for the better (in which case I'll consider resubscribing), or has it always been fine?

Seems they have gotten better for the last 2 months or so. I don't have a big sound system or anything but they sound crisp and clear to me. In January, I did notice a little distortion but that seems to be fixed. Hope this helps. Andy

I too have a Sirius/XM radio. So... Which music channels are XM and sound better than all the ones I have listened to?
Sirius/XM is the parent company. Which type of radio do you have, one that works on the Sirius or XM network?

From my experience, every music channel that I listened to sounded better on XM. That includes practically all rock channels (rewind, vinyl, boneyard, hair nation, spectrum, etc.)
The news/talk channels are worse on Sirius, as well.

This may have changed in the last few. Perhaps XM quality has gone down in that time. But, Sirius has definitely not gone up.

Of course, I'm referring to the satellite broadcasts, not Internet or Dish, which have much much better audio quality.

I got an old xm roady and the sound is very good.The dropouts are the biggest issue for me.When the leaves comes on the trees reception goes downhill.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

My radio just says SiriusXM. Are you saying I'm really only hearing one or the other?

I think I got something like 250 channels before I let my free sub run out. I don't listen to talk radio (except NPR), so only the music channels are of any interest. Sound quality varied second to second between "not very good" to "unlistenable" on all the channels I tried. I believe this is due to too many channels on a transponder, and statistical multiplexing starving channels for bandwidth. Musicians sounded under water, as though they were playing/singing through bubbles.

My radio just says SiriusXM. Are you saying I'm really only hearing one or the other?

I think I got something like 250 channels before I let my free sub run out. I don't listen to talk radio (except NPR), so only the music channels are of any interest. Sound quality varied second to second between "not very good" to "unlistenable" on all the channels I tried. I believe this is due to too many channels on a transponder, and statistical multiplexing starving channels for bandwidth. Musicians sounded under water, as though they were playing/singing through bubbles.
Yes. It's one company. But, they still use two technologies to reach all of the legacy subs.

It's like what a Dish/DirecTV merger would have been like. They would unify the programming, as much as they could depending on contractual obligations. But, they would still need to simulcast everything for two different sets of HW.

What I don't understand is why Sirius/XM hasn't settled on a single technology for all new HW being sold. They still sell both types, and have both types installed in new cars, depending on brand.

I find every music station to which I would listen to be completely unlistenable as well. The talk stations are just as bad, if not worse. But, I put up with it as merely annoying for talk.

Reactions: TheKrell
I almost forget to mention the new "Xtra" channels only available on some radios. Apparently, they sound quite good. But, they are only currently available on the Lynx models, a few Chrysler models, and the SXV200 add-on module.
http://www.siriusxm.com/xtrachannels

Well, foo. I wish I'd known about these channels before I let my sub expire! BTW - My one and only SiriusXM radio is in my Chrysler 300. My daughter just bought a new Hyundai Elantra, and IIRC it also says SiriusXM on it's radio.

Well, foo. I wish I'd known about these channels before I let my sub expire! BTW - My one and only SiriusXM radio is in my Chrysler 300. My daughter just bought a new Hyundai Elantra, and IIRC it also says SiriusXM on it's radio.
Hyundai used to have XM radios before the merger. So, her SiriusXM radio may be on the XM system.

I haven't had satellite radio for about 4 years now. I've just been relying on iPhone bluetooth audio from various sources. However, I just bought a new car with the Chevy MyLink touch screen radio. It came with a 3 month SirusXM trial and I think Chevy uses XM radios.

I have to say that I still love all the iPhone bluetooth audio streaming capability this car offers but having SirusXM again is pretty convenient too. Plus it looks like it adds some nice features to the car like weather, gas prices, and traffic info. I would never pay the $10-$19 per month that the most popular packages seem to run but I would like to keep it for one of these 6 month offers I keep seeing posted here.

Which package are you guys referring to when you get these $25 or $30 6 months offers? It looks like the XM Select package would have everything I need. Mostly Music is close because it still comes with some of the talk radio I like (NPR Now, BBC World Service) but I'd prefer to keep ESPN Radio and the MLB games even though I can easily stream both of those things from my iPhone with bluetooth. If I could get NFL games and Howard with select that would have every thing I want but I can live without those two.

If those $30 offers are for the Mostly Music package I would consider it but probably end up passing.

Edit: The only thing I really don't like about the SirusXM radio on the touch interface has to do with MLB games. There doesn't seem to be any way to see which game is on which channel from the channel guide. I was looking for specific games last night and I had to tune to each MLB play by play channel one at a time to find out which channel it was on. I'm assuming this will be the same for college football games in the fall. That's not the most intuitive thing to do and it's a little distracting while driving.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts