Status
Please reply by conversation.

RandallA

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
Finally made the decision to switch to the "dark side" and in the few hours that I've had it, I regret not doing sooner. Even my daughter said, "we should have done this long time ago". :)

My install was this afternoon from 12-4 PM. The installers showed up at 11:58 AM. I couldn't even finish my lunch. :) I showed them all the rooms where the receivers were going and we then went outside to determine where the dish will be installed. I wanted it in the same location where my Dish Network dish was and they both said, no problem. One of them talked me out of using the same cables I had for Dish Network, I'm glad he did because the cable they ran was so neatly done and can't even be seen from outside. Now, I just need to remove the cables I ran for Dish Network. :)

I asked them about what receivers I was getting, specially the HD-DVR and they told me it was the HR-24 and 2 H24s. I was very happy when I heard that. :D I also got 2 D12 receivers and a R22 for the DVR. They began the installation and they were done in about 2 hours and 30 minutes. They connected the HR-24 to the router so the other HD receivers could access the HD-DVR. They also told me the SD-DVR could be shared and I was like huh? Really? I tested and yes it can be shared. I turned off the sharing in the SD-DVR for now while I learn more about the receivers.

I cleaned up cables and everything else and decided to start watching TV after eating something. I was ready to start watching the baseball game and POW, the power goes out. I thought to myself, OMG the installers did something and now we got no power. I checked everything and everything looked good so I went to ask the neighbor and they also lost power. I was like PHEW! Because everybody else in the house thought it was the Directv installers that broke something.

So far I love the receivers and I love the picture quality on both SD and HD. With the current promotion I'm getting a lot more channels for less. Once the promotion expires I will drop the package or just keep what I have because the bill will only go up about $15.00 in 2 years.

I have Lo Maximo, HD Package, and Whole-Home DVR. I always said I'd never switch to Directv, well let's just say I regret not switching sooner. I just hope i don't run into issues in the future and that Customer Service is better than Dish Network. :)

Welcome to the empire :)

The R22 is a "special" SD DVR. Since you have another HD receiver on the account D* can turn the feature on so the R22 can act like a HD receiver too :)
(assume thats why the R22 can use MRV)

I can't do that because the R22 is my only receiver

How does the slimline 5 LNB look? (since you got Lo Maximo the 5LNB is required)

The R22 is a "special" SD DVR. Since you have another HD receiver on the account D* can turn the feature on so the R22 can act like a HD receiver too
(assume thats why the R22 can use MRV)

That's awesome. The installer told me that I could connect it to an HDTV and watch the HD channels, I didn't believe him at first but the HD channels are there. I guess that saves me $99 because I did want another HD-DVR but it was $198.00 to get it.

Forgot to add about my signals, they're all in the 90s-100s and some mid 80s.

If you have any questions, let us know. Also the customer service with D* is way much better. I dont cringe when I call them :)

That's awesome. The installer told me that I could connect it to an HDTV and watch the HD channels, I didn't believe him at first but the HD channels are there. I guess that saves me $99 because I did want another HD-DVR but it was $198.00 to get it.

yeah its pretty neat. I think the R22 is the only SD DVR that works with a SWM. I know I was jealous when I had a R15 (hurl!) and my stepdad upgraded a room to a DVR and got a R22 because he has a SWM setup

Congrats RandallA!!
Seems there are a lot of defectors here. Something tells me Dish numbers will not look so good the next quarter.

yeah its pretty neat. I think the R22 is the only SD DVR that works with a SWM. I know I was jealous when I had a R15 (hurl!) and my stepdad upgraded a room to a DVR and got a R22 because he has a SWM setup

I believe R16 works with SWM as well

Congrats RandallA!!
Seems there are a lot of defectors here. Something tells me Dish numbers will not look so good the next quarter.

When I saw you, Teachsac and Poke in the Directv forums, I had to do it. :D I had some problems with Dish Network's customer service and I just gave up on them. I'm glad they treated me like that because I know realize how much I was missing. :)

If you have any questions, let us know. Also the customer service with D* is way much better. I dont cringe when I call them :)

Thank you Iceberg. I know I'm covered here at Satguys if I run into issues. :)

I've also tested Directv2pc on a couple of computers and it's a great application to have. I can watch recorded shows on my computers too. :)

Last edited:
Thank you Iceberg. I know I'm covered here at Satguys if I run into issues. :)

I've also tested Directv2pc on a couple of computers and it's a great application to have. I can watch recorded shows on my computers too. :)
congrats!!:angel:

You were very lucky as the R22 is next to impossible to get for an installation. The R22 was designed for when they switch some local channels over to MPEG4 only. It is pretty much the same device as an HR series DVR.

Here are a few things you may want to change out of the default settings to make things move faster.
Here is a post that shows you how to change from slip to skip forward like the Dish remote.
SatelliteGuys.US - View Single Post - Slip/Skip Fast Forward
You can also change the H24 to do the same.

Another thing to scroll faster in the guide you can go to menu>setup>system setup>display>preferences>scrolling effects= off.

in the same menu you can change the banner time from when you change channels. I set mine to 2 seconds as 4 seconds kept the banner up too long for my taste.

Hope this helps!!!

When I saw you, Teachsac and Poke in the Directv forums, I had to do it. :D I had some problems with Dish Network's customer service and I just gave up on them. I'm glad they treated me like that because I know realize how much I was missing. :)

Ahhh. I only switched after 12 years, was a beta tester, etc. Worked directly with one of the VPs of engineering. You know things are bad.

S~

It's great to see some of the people I respected from the days I had with Dish over on this side of things. I hope it leads to more good DIRECTV commentary at Satguys.

The other place just ain't the same.

Welcome Aboard and to the Empire. Glad things went well for you and man Power issues I just lost my Power Supply in my new PC that about 5 months old. Got to call it in this morning so when it rains it pours. Either way glad things went well for you.. :)

You were very lucky as the R22 is next to impossible to get for an installation. The R22 was designed for when they switch some local channels over to MPEG4 only. It is pretty much the same device as an HR series DVR.

Yes, it is. Now I'm regretting the decision of not ordering two SD-DVRs. Do you think that if I call them and ask to replace one of the SD receivers for a SD-DVR I will get another R22? I understand that it will cost me another $99 but if they come and install it that's worthy. Also, let's say they say yes, will they install a SWM-16? I'm maxed now with a SWM-8.

Yes jaj1701, you warned me. :)

Yeah one thing I really like as well RandallA is the TV Apps have my Braves App and Weather and Scoreboard plus Carolina Panthers. On the weather you enter in your zip code of course but one thing I noticed on Direct. Is when your on the Weather Channel and their running local on the 8's it pulls in your Zip Code and you actually see your local 5 day forecast so forth which I thought was cool. Plus I don't think that ever worked with Dish. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts