Got my license!

Psikic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 8, 2014
Conway, AR
Just wanted to share because I am so excited... decided on a whim late last week that I wanted to get an Amateur license. Went through the questions for Technician and General on hamstudy.org over the weekend and went in last night to our local club and passed the Technician and General exams! Callsign pending... Now it's time to buy some radios and antennas :D

Psikic,

Wonderful news, congratulations and welcome to a life-long, fulfilling hobby. Yes now that you've passed your exams the fun starts - buying your rig, accessories, and talking to folks around the nation and world. Have loads of fun!

73's de N2HUN

Come on Annie61 you can do this!! :)

Yes -- it's not difficult! www.hamstudy.org is free. Just go through the flash cards until it says you have seen everything. As you miss questions it will give them to you again a few times until you have proven you can answer them correctly. Then find a local amateur radio club and take the test. It's only $15 (and many clubs will let you take as many levels of the test as you want for that same fee, as long as you pass the lower ones). That's how I did my Technician and General at the same time. You don't have to learn Morse code, the Technician and General are 35 questions each out of pools of about 400 each, all multiple choice. You CAN do this!

OK, one week from test to callsign: KG5QYJ It's hideous so I went ahead and applied for a vanity callsign immediately :)
I'm going to make my first transmission tonight after work, and it should be just in time for the weekly net for the local club.

Today, I passed the exams! :)

KE4EST had challenged me repeatedly and I promised that I would during a Satellite Nation show two years ago. Life threw a few curveballs last year, but when I read Psikic post last month, I knew that it was time to stop procrastinating and "get'er done! Found the next local club exam on the ARRL website and attended with about 20 others.

Studied on the HamStudy and HamExam websites. The study materials and sample tests made the learning so easy! $15 and 45 minutes later, three exams are completed and now holding the Element Credit Certificate and patiently waiting on my license. :)

The FCC website is bookmarked and I'll probably wear out the Internet checking on the approval and license status!

Thanks guys for the extra nudge! A special thanks to Michael for encouraging me and stepping in with excellent advice and being a great "Elmer"!

Edit: just got an email alert that the UHF/VHF HT and accessories are in the post office locker!!!

This is the best news I have heard in a long time. Sorry if I was annoying a little for pushing you on when I saw the interest drop...................No I'm not, Not really. :p
Congratulations Brian, you will enjoy it and a year from now you will understand why I pushed it. I knew you had the knowledge the only logical next step was to go take the test.
Proud to be your Elmer old man! :D

I got to get mine this year. Just hoping it will not be another hobby I have no time for. :D...
Another possibility (what happened to me) is that you will get drawn into it so much that you spend all available time on it. :hungry

In my case it was SDR. Certainly don't need a ham license to receive signals and write SDR software. But what I learned in the process of getting my license has been a big help.

Reactions: KE4EST and Titanium
Congratulation, Brian, it is a great hobby.

Had my license for 58 years, still holding my original call WA2ACV.
Besides SSB, you are going to like some of the new digital modes.
My favorite is PSK31, yesterday I worked France & Venezuela and had a 30 minute keyboard conversation with a ham down in Merritt Island FL.
I use only SDR can't go back to the big knob radios anymore.
This coming June see if you can attend a field site and do some field day operating, you will enjoy this part of ham radio.

Reactions: Titanium

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)