Great stuff

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Agrinaut

Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
Houston
Just wanted to introduce myself...

I have been reading this forum for the last several days...great stuff!

Never once considered satellite until we moved out to the coutry this past Spring. No cable, no DSL. So it is satellite for us, now.

Still early in the learning game. Trying to decide on Directv vs. Dish. Right now I am leading toward Directv because Dish doesn't offer Fox News on their low end packages and it sounds like Directv provides a better quality signal (just my initial impressions). Would love to hear any other pro/cons.

I plan to hook up 2 TVs (non-HD, independent tuning) and would like a DVR with one set. HD is not a factor (yet!) and I will pass on the NFL package for now ($$).

Can anyone shed some light on the pros/cons of having a local installer doing the installation vs. the mother company? I have heard that you get a better response from the local installer, but it sounds like after the installation you have to deal with the mother company for any subsequent issues. Help!

It is amazing what you can learn on a forum like this :D

Agrinaut

Welcome.

The advantage of having a local installer is if you have an issue the same people who installed you will be able to help you out, they will probably do a better job installing as its their local reputation on the line for being quality installers.

With the guys who just come from a national chain they are usually in a rush to install as many dishes they can in a day and do not offer the same quality.

Also sometimes the local installer might cost you a little more then using the national install guys but in the end the piece of mind in knowing you have someone local to help you is worth the expense not to mention you will probably get a better install. :)

I was actually sold on Dish Network at first. They offered a few more sports channels and movie channels without having to subscribe to a special pack. They also offered Superstations and Distant Networks from 5 different cities, so it seemed like that would be the better deal since I don't have locals and DirecTV doesn't offer Superstations. I learned that Dish Network has more BS fees than does DirecTV. The more I researched the more I was leaning towards DirecTV. I then called and talked to the Customer Service department of both companies. I had a hard time getting Dish Network to give me a definite straight answer on most questions while DirecTV answered to the tee.

So 5 months later I am glad that I chose DirecTV. I don't have many details on pros/cons really since DirecTV is the only one I have ever had, but CS sure has their stuff together more than Dish Network it seems.

If I could get the Dish Network programming package with DirecTV CS and price I would. Good luck on whichever way you choose.

FavreJL04 said:
I was actually sold on Dish Network at first. They offered a few more sports channels and movie channels without having to subscribe to a special pack. They also offered Superstations and Distant Networks from 5 different cities, so it seemed like that would be the better deal since I don't have locals and DirecTV doesn't offer Superstations. I learned that Dish Network has more BS fees than does DirecTV. The more I researched the more I was leaning towards DirecTV. I then called and talked to the Customer Service department of both companies. I had a hard time getting Dish Network to give me a definite straight answer on most questions while DirecTV answered to the tee.

So 5 months later I am glad that I chose DirecTV. I don't have many details on pros/cons really since DirecTV is the only one I have ever had, but CS sure has their stuff together more than Dish Network it seems.

If I could get the Dish Network programming package with DirecTV CS and price I would. Good luck on whichever way you choose.

What Superstations are you refering to ? and what other programming do you like better with DISH ?

Jimbo

Dish SuperStations ($5.99 /mo) *qualification

Station ----- Channel Number
KWGN - 8204
KTLA - 8004
WPIX - 8104
WSBK - 8775
WWOR - 8105

Big time hold-overs from back in the BUD days. I wish DirecTV had a superStations package; but like DNS, I feel they are going away; as they are locals in their respective areas.

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

You'll get a lot of people on either side of the fence telling you what's great about each provider.

What I can suggest: Look at each package, and each provider's new customer deals, and see what's best for your money.

One thing I do like about DISH's DVRs: the 625 can be used for 2 TVs but only need the one receiver, saving you a mirroring fee. If HD is in your future, than right now DISH has more HD channels.

Directv did have the Tivo for the longest, and I think that was their best selling point, but they have gone to their own DVR now, and from what people say it's not nearly as good as the Tivo was.

If you're an NFL fan, and you don't mind the price, than Directv would be your better choice since they offer the Sunday Ticket deal.

Keep reading both forums and I'm sure you'll be able to find the best deal that's best for you.

Thanks for the input...

Since I only have a few basic programming requirements to me quality of the signal, service, and equipment is the biggest factor.

Status
Please reply by conversation.