Greetings from Team Summit

cave1376 said:
Commercials are one reason I got a dvr.

Blame Tivo's and dvr's for more and longer commercials. Now the broadcasters will use the auto hop, and similar features from other providers, as a reason for having even more or longer commercials. Not only will the longer commercials affect Dish subs, it would affect anyone who watches tv.

The ONLY reason for any programming is simply to fill the space between commercials that's why you see all those paid programming late at night. Half hour uninterupted commercial.

Sent from my DROIDX

Yea look where that ended up... The company went into bankruptcy, and the broadcasters won.... Don't piss off the broadcasters they will put you out of business! Take note dish!
broadcasters are a dinosaur,,they are not as powerful as they were 10 years ago. Soon the internet will make them irrelevant

I can see broadcasters mandating a no record or no fast forward flag over this. It will certainty be interesting to see what, if any, fallout comes over this feature! Maybe a loss revenue lawsuite. Could a broadcaster like NBC demand that every affiliate be pulled? Or would they just charge dish more to supplement the revenue loss! I only see this going one way! The consumer will end up paying more!
If I am Charlie, I look at it like this:
If the local network uses "must carry" rules, the commercials get shown, but if the nets are charging me to air their programming, I'll do as I darn well please with the ads. IMHO

Stupid question time....I am guessing the new feature of auto skip will be a future software download?

I think this is awesome. I barely watch any of my recordings the day they air except for Game of Thrones and Walking Dead. My family will love this feature. I read the article on USA today and I didn't see an estimated release date though? Did they mention that at all during the event?

The only other thing I really want to hear now is that my hoppers will be integrated sometime in the next month or two.

Sounds like a great feature, but I suspect the renewal negotiations with local networks will be become more contentious than in the past. It could signal more channels being pulled. DISH seems to like to poke the content distributors in the eye. Someday it may come back to bite them, but for now I will use the feature and love it.

My thoughts exactly. I know if I was broadcaster and my renewal was coming up I would have some text in there saying that customers couldn't auto skip the commercials.

My opinion, we pay for the service, Dish has to pay the carriers for something that is free to everyone else. So screw them broadcasters. If they would produce better shows more people will watch and they will still get people without DVR's. I haven't watched a PTAT commercial or hardly any commercial in a long time anyways. Very rare for me to watch live TV. Maybe sporting events...and when I watch them it is so sickening that they don't keep a live feed of a continuous event (like racing) in a small box during commercials. So Forget them, We pay enough already for content in my opinion.

Commercials are one reason I got a dvr.

Blame Tivo's and dvr's for more and longer commercials. Now the broadcasters will use the auto hop, and similar features from other providers, as a reason for having even more or longer commercials. Not only will the longer commercials affect Dish subs, it would affect anyone who watches tv.
I can see the broadcasters getting around the AutoHop by adding more and more overlays on top of the actual programming (instead of just "what's coming up next" fare). :(

This is even older than replay TV... I have a JVC VCR from the 90s that has auto commercial skip. It sensed the fade to black and fast forwarded to the next fade to black. It was semi effective (sometimes it would not stop fast forwarding and I would have to stop it).

So ... what this means are more pop-ups in the middle of the programming announcing this or that.

Or ... advertisers will buy the shows more ... where the show will all of the sudden pan to the whole view of the car and the character will comment on how nice it is to have this feature or that. Or ... the characters will say more of "I purchased this for a super low price at bla" ...

They have been very careful to insure that the sub and not Dish makes the decision to skip(who me?). And, it was crafty to leave the local news without the skip feature since that is a bread and butter income source fot the locals.

New remote concept. They showed some pretty sweet things it can do. One was tag spots on recorded shows so you can find them easier.

Attachments

• image-3223038206.jpg
    image-3223038206.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 266
  • image-1432977808.jpg
    image-1432977808.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 276
  • image-1586367890.jpg
    image-1586367890.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 286
They had some wireless headsets and a speaker bar here. The speaker bar had an echostar logo on it.

Attachments

• image-1321305797.jpg
    image-1321305797.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 228

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)