H20 automatically resetting every few minutes, help!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

soupamoto

Original poster
Nov 22, 2005
I have an H20 high def receiver. It is automatically resetting every few minutes. The screen goes black, then blue while it reloads. Goes out for about 5 minutes when this happens. Does it on HD, standard def, and OTA channels. Manually resetting with the red button does no good. Sat strength numbers aren't great, around 75. My reciever is 1.5 years old so out of warranty.

I have another H20 and a standard def reciever and they both work fine off the same 3 lnb dish. I own all three receivers.

I'd dig an upgrade to HD DVR, but not ready so spend 300 bucks.

Any ideas what I should do? Is the unit bad? Can D* do anything over the phone line (or sat I guess) if I call them? Worth sending a tech out? Buy a new one off eBay or something? Anything I can do to test it?

Sounds like a bad box to me, if you are leasing, they will replace the box free, else you will need the protection plan, if neither applies, you would have to replace or repair it at your cost.

Did you try taking one of the good H20s and moving it to the coax of the one that's giving you the problem, in case it's the coax or switch port (if you have one)?

Sounds like a bad box to me, if you are leasing, they will replace the box free, else you will need the protection plan, if neither applies, you would have to replace or repair it at your cost.

Did you try taking one of the good H20s and moving it to the coax of the one that's giving you the problem, in case it's the coax or switch port (if you have one)?

I do own the unit, as well as the others.

Yep, I did actually change out my 2 H20's and the problem followed the box. Good thought.

I was hoping maybe this was a common problem, even if it meant for sure it was toast. Or maybe there is a simple do at home fix (something in a menu maybe?).

Wonder what is going on when it resets?

Probably not worth a repair cost, I wouldn't think. Though, I've not asked D* what it costs to send one in for repair.

Thanks for the help and any other help.

It sounds like its overheating. H20-600s are known to run hot anyway, so you may try making sure its in a well ventilated area and perhaps using a portable fan to blow some air over it to see if that makes a difference. I don't recall whether H20s have internal cooling fans or not. If they do, its fan could have burnt up or the like.

edit: looks like they don't, I thought I remembered seeing this thread. Didn't take long to find at avs. It has instructions for installing your own cooling fan if overheating is in fact the problem.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=696510

I have an H20 high def receiver. It is automatically resetting every few minutes. The screen goes black, then blue while it reloads. Goes out for about 5 minutes when this happens. Does it on HD, standard def, and OTA channels. Manually resetting with the red button does no good. Sat strength numbers aren't great, around 75. My reciever is 1.5 years old so out of warranty.

I have another H20 and a standard def reciever and they both work fine off the same 3 lnb dish. I own all three receivers.

I'd dig an upgrade to HD DVR, but not ready so spend 300 bucks.

Any ideas what I should do? Is the unit bad? Can D* do anything over the phone line (or sat I guess) if I call them? Worth sending a tech out? Buy a new one off eBay or something? Anything I can do to test it?

I had the same exact thing happen to me as well.I owned the box had it for a little over a year and them it started resetting itself over and over. I called D* and was advised that was a common problem with some models.They did send me a replacement and so far it has been working great.Downside is that now I pay a lease fee for the new H20 as well as for the HR20 I have ,that did not sit well w/me but was told since everything is leased now that will be the future way of doing business.Hope that helps you out.

I had the same problem with my year old H20-600 right before the Busch race last Saturday. I ran the satellite setup and the box has been working fine since then. Give it a try. It might work for you too.

Good Luck!

now I pay a lease fee for the new H20 as well as for the HR20 I have ,that did not sit well w/me but was told since everything is leased now that will be the future way of doing business.Hope that helps you out.

So, you have to pay a lease fee for equipment you already owned when D* sent you one new receiver? I currently have three receivers, so would I have to pay a lease fee for three if they send me one new one? Plus be on a contract? That would not be cool.

I've checked on overheating. Doesn't seem to be consistant enough to be that. My unit sits all alone so ventalation is good. I did a system reset back to default. The unit reset itself after about 2 minites after that.

Then, the other night, I watched it for about 2 hours and it never reset. Yesterday it reset after turning it on after only about 1 minute. The top of the box where the fan would mount in the above link felt very cool to the touch.

How frustrating. I guess I could still try to install the fan and see if it does the trick. I really don't want to do a lease at this time. I'd like the HD DVR unit, but not willing to spend $300 on it. I called them and they wouldn't budge (I know persistance would likey win over this problem).

Huh. I'm in a pickle.

So, you have to pay a lease fee for equipment you already owned when D* sent you one new receiver? I currently have three receivers, so would I have to pay a lease fee for three if they send me one new one? Plus be on a contract? That would not be cool.

Your first receiver is always included with your package.How do you know you own
it?.:confused:

Your first receiver is always included with your package.How do you know you own
it?.:confused:

I purchased and have owned my 3 receivers (2 HD and 1 standard) since before D* started this lease program they do now.

Yes, I pay an additional fee for 2 extra receivers per month. But, it is not a lease, just the fee for the extra service.

So, if I was to jump ship from D* I keep my equipment and do what I want with it. Like plant flowers in this H20...

I purchased and have owned my 3 receivers (2 HD and 1 standard) since before D* started this lease program they do now.

Yes, I pay an additional fee for 2 extra receivers per month. But, it is not a lease, just the fee for the extra service.

So, if I was to jump ship from D* I keep my equipment and do what I want with it. Like plant flowers in this H20...

OK just wondered because sometimes when people buy the receivers at CC or BB
they think they own them.Personally I like the lease program it's less to invest and if anything goes wrong you just get another one.:)

Personally I like the lease program it's less to invest and if anything goes wrong you just get another one.:)

Are you sure that is true? I read a post that said their unit had a 90 day warranty? After that you paid another fee for a new one or repair. Is that not right?

I would actually like to move up to the HD DVR. But, that would require $320 plus a contract, and if what said above is correct, be in no better warranty shape than I am now. And all the bad talk of the HD DVR reliability sure makes me nervous. Don't need to get into any more troubles right now!

Are you sure that is true? I read a post that said their unit had a 90 day warranty? After that you paid another fee for a new one or repair. Is that not right?

Wrong, when you are under the lease program replacement units are provided free, no warranty is needed, whomever told you otherwise, was wrong, or, you misread it.

I would actually like to move up to the HD DVR. But, that would require $320 plus a contract, and if what said above is correct, be in no better warranty shape than I am now. And all the bad talk of the HD DVR reliability sure makes me nervous. Don't need to get into any more troubles right now!

The only thing they will charge you is shipping&handling to get another unit when you lease.:)

The only thing they will charge you is shipping&handling to get another unit when you lease.:)

I assume you mean if I replace my H20 with another H20, not a HD DVR, correct?

I called D* last week and asked to upgrade to the HD DVR and they said $320 for that. I never mentioned I was having problems with one of my H20s.

Wish I new the magic words to get them to replace my H20 with the HD DVR for only the cost of s/h.

I went thru 5 HD20 rec. before I made the switch to an HD DVR receiver. I am now on my 3rd HD DVR box. First box kept resetting itself. Second DVR box had a bad port from the beginning and would not give me local channels (2 hours on the phone with " adv. tech. support ". I still have the 3rd box, but when I record a show and try to play it back it pixillates all the time and is very annoying to watch. I have watch shows in real time and they are fine and when it replays it is all messed up. Each "new" unit I get is a rebuilt one. WAY too many problems with this company!!

I assume you mean if I replace my H20 with another H20, not a HD DVR, correct?

I called D* last week and asked to upgrade to the HD DVR and they said $320 for that. I never mentioned I was having problems with one of my H20s.

Wish I new the magic words to get them to replace my H20 with the HD DVR for only the cost of s/h.

If your H20 is leased?.Correct!.:)

Actually the lease plan is quite a bargain.If they would let you buy one it would be
around $800.:eek:

If they would let you buy one it would be
around $800.:eek:

$800?! Ouch! It hurt when I paid $300 for it the day it came out in '05.

I think getting one off eBay for $80 or so will probably be the solution. Won't have to pay the lease fee to activate and won't have the two year commitment.

I can't attest the the reliability of the HD DVR but you can call them up saying you were thinking about cancelling thier service (since you've obviously been with them for a long time if you own your receivers) because of problems with your current unit and also that you wanted to upgrade to HD and Dish is giving thier HD DVR for free right now. When we called to do this (and mind you, we'd only been with them for a year, so since you've been with them longer you may get a better deal) we were offered the HD DVR for $99 and then $10 off for 12 months. I've heard some people who've been with them longer get offered the HD DVR for free, so it depends who you get on the phone.

We ultimately decided to cancel anyway (we are with Dish now--their HD DVR is excellent) but it's worth a shot. If you're going to dish out the money for another receiver, might as well get the HD DVR if you can get it for $99 or less!! Do remember though it would be leased and you'd be signing a new 2 year contract....

Status
Please reply by conversation.