H20 Crashing/Rebooting

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Proc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
Motown
I've only had my H20 for the past 6 days. This past weekend whenever I would change the channel to our local Fox affiliate to pull in the OTA HD signal, the H20 would crash and reset itself. I would have to wait for it to reset and quickly change the channel once the picture came back or it would reboot again.

I called D* and their answer was "We are having problems with your local (Detroit) Fox affiliate. This problem is being looked into, but we don't have an answer as of yet. You should just get the new 5LNB dish."

FWIW, it was o.k. last night when I put it on Fox 2-1 to watch "24".

Anybody else seen this type of issue with the H20 (rebooting upon changing the channel)?

I've seen my H20 reboot for two reasons so far. First is trying to change the favorites list and scrolling through the channels cause a reboot. The second time was when I was scrolling through messages/caller ID list, when I scrolled to a garbage entery (just random characters) the box rebooted. I've not had it reboot yet while just surfing.

My box began rebooting everytime we would switch to ANY channel. The the thing started getting really hot, I mean hot enough to burn my skin. Needless to say 2 days ago it totally took a sh*t and D* is sending me a new one.

str8poolbanger said:
My box began rebooting everytime we would switch to ANY channel. The the thing started getting really hot, I mean hot enough to burn my skin. Needless to say 2 days ago it totally took a sh*t and D* is sending me a new one.

I've noticed mine been running pretty hot too. I wonder if this is prelude to my brand new receiver going bad.

I have experienced spontaneous reboots at least 4 times, while watching TV, not even touching the remote. I had posted this experience in another forum DBS Talk, but no one responded with any input except to talk about reboots while working in the menu with favorites or find by. My H20 is not hot, barely warm. Bought mine from Robert at VE, and he is sending me a replacement. Some of these reboots could be caused by a garbaged broadcast, but still shouldn't confuse the receiver enough to crash. When mine does it, my AV receiver is fluctuating wildly back and forth between Pro Logic and Dolby Digital, if that means anything. Anyhow, as usual, Robert is doing all he can to help me.

frogg said:
...Some of these reboots could be caused by a garbaged broadcast, but still shouldn't confuse the receiver enough to crash...

So a garbaged OTA broadcast can cause the receiver to reboot?

That is what the D* CSR and boss told me, but it sounded like BS to me.

Proc said:
So a garbaged OTA broadcast can cause the receiver to reboot?
That is what the D* CSR and boss told me, but it sounded like BS to me.
I said COULD cause it. This nothing more than my own speculation at this point, and maybe someone with more technical knowledge can jump in here. FWIW, that last time my H20 rebooted itself was watching the Bears game Sunday, on satellite (not OTA) east coast feed. But it has also happened on OTA.

The H-10 has the same issues,it seems to go in streaks, it won't happen for 3-4 weeks , and then it will start happening, and happen 3-4 times in the next day or so.
Usually when mine does crash, it is whenI an scrolling thru the guide. the one today started differently, it will reboot everytime I go to channel 211, it is also giving me the " Service temporarly unavailable" then I reboot it otherwise it won't let me change the channel.

H-10, H-20 I don't know how closely they are to one another outside of the MPEG 4 addtion.

Mine is a H-10-200
Maybe they are related to the same manufacture....

Jimbo

btw, it did not do it this time when I tried to get it to screw up

I had it reboot (again) last night when I switched to Channel 2-1 (Fox2 HD in Detroit). This time, it only happened once as opposed to over and over again on Sunday.

I'd still like to know if its a bad receiver or not. I could always take it back to CC and swap it, but if it is the fault of the OTA broadcast (as D* believes), then I'd prefer to not have the hassle of returning it.

Proc said:
I had it reboot (again) last night when I switched to Channel 2-1 (Fox2 HD in Detroit). This time, it only happened once as opposed to over and over again on Sunday.

I'd still like to know if its a bad receiver or not. I could always take it back to CC and swap it, but if it is the fault of the OTA broadcast (as D* believes), then I'd prefer to not have the hassle of returning it.

I had a bad 300 to 75 ohm transformer on my OTA antenna and it was causing reboots until I replaced it. Wouldn't do it all the time, but when ever it did I was on a OTA channel. It was on a HTL-HD receiver though, not a H20. Once I changed out the 300 to 75 ohm transformer, it stopped the re-booting. May not be your problem, but wanted to pass it along. By the way, the new transformer increase my OTA signals significantly.

Had the reboot issue rear its ugly head again last night. Again, I would switch to OTA Channel 2-1 (local Fox HD broadcast) and the H20 would reboot. It didn't matter if I switched to the station with the remote or guide, it would reboot and again, stay in the infinite rebooting mode until I quickly would change the channel to something else. I mean quickly too, if I left it on Ch. 2-1 more than 3 seconds, it would reboot again. (FYI...using a DB2 antenna outside run to the H20)

I called D* for the second time in the past few days. The line I was given this time is that the big cheese who has presided over the H20 was in town and they were feeding this person all the various complaints on the box. I was told over and over that my issue was going to be sent to the "right" people (and monkeys will fly out of my butt). The CSR said the supervisor would be calling me directly at home in the next 48 hours. When I questioned if this would happen, she kept saying, "Yes, you will be contacted."

I think I should go back to CC where I bought the H20 and swap it for a new one.

I swear, with all the problems I've had since my HD upgrade (bad OTA reception with H10, having to move my dish to a new location twice, getting it realigned twice, and now the rebooting of the H20), it makes the Comcast HD options and deal they offered me last week look better and better.

If it weren't for the NFL ST and my love of football...

Last edited:
H20 Reboot

Proc said:
Had the reboot issue rear its ugly head again last night. Again, I would switch to OTA Channel 2-1 (local Fox HD broadcast) and the H20 would reboot. It didn't matter if I switched to the station with the remote or guide, it would reboot and again, stay in the infinite rebooting mode until I quickly would change the channel to something else. I mean quickly too, if I left it on Ch. 2-1 more than 3 seconds, it would reboot again. (FYI...using a DB2 antenna outside run to the H20)
I called D* for the second time in the past few days. The line I was given this time is that the big cheese who has presided over the H20 was in town and they were feeding this person all the various complaints on the box. I was told over and over that my issue was going to be sent to the "right" people (and monkeys will fly out of my butt). The CSR said the supervisor would be calling me directly at home in the next 48 hours. When I questioned if this would happen, she kept saying, "Yes, you will be contacted."
I think I should go back to CC where I bought the H20 and swap it for a new one.
I swear, with all the problems I've had since my HD upgrade (bad OTA reception with H10, having to move my dish to a new location twice, getting it realigned twice, and now the rebooting of the H20), it makes the Comcast HD options and deal they offered me last week look better and better.
If it weren't for the NFL ST and my love of football...

I too have experienced this while on 2-1 in Detroit.I thought it was just me.

Well after another night of the H20 rebooting when the channel was changed to 2-1, I couldn't take it anymore. I boxed it back up and headed back to the store where I swapped it for a new one. Activated it last night. So far, so good.

D* said I would be called personally within 48 hours to follow up on the original problem. They've got a few hours left. Anybody want to take bets they don't call...

Hey Proc, take this for what its worth, but when I did the New HD upgrade, for some reason FOX 2 had issues for many days and then it just kind of worked itself out!. Dont know how dont know why.

I have the same exact problem. Called Directv and they sent me a new H20. I activated it yesterday and it was working fine. Tried Fox 2 HD OTA on channel 2-1 later in the evening and had the rebooting problem again.

Marv said:
I have the same exact problem. Called Directv and they sent me a new H20. I activated it yesterday and it was working fine. Tried Fox 2 HD OTA on channel 2-1 later in the evening and had the rebooting problem again.

No way!

So maybe there is something to Fox 2's broadcast that might make the OTA receiver cause the reboot issue. On the receiver I returned, it seemed like it would happen when the receiver got hot and actually it did get quite warm. The one I got in exchange last night isn't as hot.

If this second one starts rebooting everytime it gets warmed up and I change the channel to Fox 2-1, it too will get packed up and the whole D* thing will go bye bye. I'll just have to live with the Lions and whoever the other game is on cable instead of NFLST.

***UPDATE***

My second H20 box (the one I picked up last night at CC) is also rebooting. Again, once it warms up and I change the channel to Fox 2-1 OTA, it reboots the receiver.

And, of course no one from D* called me back "within 48 hours" as the CSR and her supervisor promised.

Does ANYBODY from D* EVER read these forums? Its like hitting your head against a brick wall when you call them. This is a new piece of equiment that I shelled out $200 for. I may take it back for a refund and choose another service provider, I am so whizzed at this point. And from a few others in this thread, I am not the only Motowner experiencing this problem.

When it comes down to it, its just TV. You want to turn it on watch programming. Its as simple as that. I am tired of faulty equipment, commitments, idiot installers and CSR's that promise but don't deliver.

I'm disgusted.

I just got off the phone with D*. The tech support rep discussed the problem with 2 supervisors. They said they were aware of the problem, and that it was a "voltage" issue, and they are working on the fix. Sorry I can't give any more details about what they mean by "voltage" issue. They didn't explain.

proc and all,

i had the same problem 2-3 times with an r-15 . how are you guys "rebooting"???

i may be able to help. im a directv tech (6 years)

dragon002 said:
proc and all,
i had the same problem 2-3 times with an r-15 . how are you guys "rebooting"???
i may be able to help. im a directv tech (6 years)

dragon002, thanks for offering support.

As for rebooting, both H20s I've had in the past week and a half will reset.

• I change the channel to Fox Detroit HD 2-1 OTA
  • The blue welcome sceen pops up and you get the "acquiring info from the satellites message" with the corresponding percentage until it gets to 100%
  • Once its at 100% Ch. 2-1 appears on the screen for approx. 3 seconds, then it goes back to the blue reboot/reset screen again unless I quickly change the channel in that 3 second timeframe.

And on a personal note...Go Steelers! I hope they make to Motown where we'll welcome 'em. My grandparents lived in Pittsburgh when I was a kid (grandfather was a bigshot with the United Steelworkers of America and a HUGE Steeler fan). The Steelers have been my second favorite team next to my sad sack Lions since I was a little kid.

Again, thanks for your offer of support. This is getting ridiculous.

Marv...a "voltage" issue? Obviously, they are aware of it. I wish they would've at least called me back as promised to say something, but hey, thats big business blowing off the little guy.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)