Status
Please reply by conversation.

DS0816

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 24, 2006
Hello, Everyone,

This is a letter I've written to DirecTV which I've submitted via its Web site to Customer Service. I've been putting up with problems connected to an H20 receiver. I have had trouble with HD programming, on and off, for eight months.

During my eight years as a subscriber, I never had quality problems with DirecTV prior to upgrading from a Single LNB to a 5 LNB (well, the letter kind of explains).

I've submitted the following (and don't mind posting here for others to have their say) because I know I'm not alone. And I don't feel like putting up with this issue much longer. I love DirecTV, in general, but I don't want to be ripped off by inferior service in one area that is supposed to be the Future of TV. In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised if the competions' HD service stinks.

Here goes…

Dear DirecTV,

You are in danger of losing me as a customer.

I have been subscribing to DirecTV service since [1998].

In February 2006, I upgraded from a Single LNB to a 5 LNB with HD service, and with standard service in four other rooms.

The HD receiver - H20 - has been nothing but problems. But according to a rep in technical department, [NAME], I shouldn't assume it's the receiver.

Well let me describe some of the problems that have been experienced.

While watching on HD Detroit's Fox affiliate, WJBK, the MLB ALCS Game 2 (Tigers @ Athletics) on Wednesday, Oct. 11, picture broke up. Then disappeared. This wasn't a problem with any of the other receivers with standard definition program receivers (D10). And eventually, the picture went out on all the channels with HD programming.

Will it come back? Maybe.

I've found, throughout the 8-month period thusfar in subscribing to DirecTV's HDTV service, this is common. Intermittent picture interruption. Receiver resetting. Channels getting loss. Me having to keep going into the menu screen to reset the channels.

Conspicuous is weather conditions more severely affecting, and interrupting, HD programming than that of standard definition fare. (In other words, HD programming interrupted by weather conditions for a more prolonged period than that of the standard definition receiver.)

The receiver, is what I'm assuming, stinks. Or maybe it's DirecTV that is incapable of delivering.

I have other options for cable-related programming: Your competition in mini-dish satellite service, Echostar's Dish Network, instantly springs to mind.

And so does area cable providers Wide Open West and Comcast.

In a telephone conversation during the 8 pm/ET hour with the above-mentioned [NAME], I demanded a new receiver be sent to me.

I hope this resolves this issue. DirecTV's problem. If it doesn't, one of DirecTV's competitors will have me as a new customer.

<< MY NAME >>
<< ADDRESS >>

Last edited:
I forgot to mention: In the first month, I had DirecTV techs -- area installers, of course, -- back to my house four or five times. At first it was dish alignment. That issue became resolved. Later on, this thing with the HD receiver has kept up consistently. The interruptions, disruptions, and so on could be transmission and equipment problems combined.

I know DirecTV is new at the HD stuff, and I take it Dish Network and cable providers have problems, too; but it doesn't change the fact that I am one of millions subscribing and paying for service. I could be contacting DirecTV more often, but I've got a life (and so do all of us!).

Tonight's disruption/interruption/reception die-out of Game 2 of the ALCS between Detroit Tigers @ Oakland Athletics was the straw that broke this camel's back. I am not truly wanting to stop subscribing; but I no longer want to pay $100 a month and put up with lackluster service, inexcusable explainations, and it is necessary for me to address the matter.

They owe you on this one, and if they don't make it right then leaving is your only option. You are an 8 year customer and my guess is your letter will get attention and a phone call, and if they are smart they will make things right. Good luck.

Last edited:
I'm a 6 year HD customer and I'll bet they send you a form letter response. Do you sub to Sunday Ticket? If not don't get your hopes up.

I would be very surprised if you get any satisfaction from them... But when the new birds are activated, most of those problems will go away... I have been a DirecTV Customer since 1996 as well...

I have the same problems, but I realize that complaining is like pissing in the wind, so I will just bide my time... The Consumer Class Action will probably resolve most of the issues...

DS0816 said:
While watching on HD Detroit's Fox affiliate, WJBK, the MLB ALCS Game 2 (Tigers @ Athletics) on Wednesday, Oct. 11, picture broke up. Then disappeared. This wasn't a problem with any of the other receivers with standard definition program receivers (D10). And eventually, the picture went out on all the channels with HD programming.
I have noticed a big improvement over the past month, in the PQ of our MPG4 channels (Orlando Market area). It is still not as clear as the OTA signals, but a lot less pixelation in the picture, then a month ago.

DS0816 said:
Conspicuous is weather conditions more severely affecting, and interrupting, HD programming than that of standard definition fare. (In other words, HD programming interrupted by weather conditions for a more prolonged period than that of the standard definition receiver.)
Sounds like a definite receiver problem. We see a lot shorter periods of rain fade, with our H20, than we do with our HR10-250. Also, prior to our upgrade, with the 3 LNB and our HTL-HD and H10, the rain fade effected it more. Here in Central Florida it is a good ground to check rain fade, with the heavy rains we get here.

I had a lot of problems with Directech, the install prime contractor, morons, I have had a lot of the problems you guys talk about with the HR20 just with a lot less frequency than mentioned here, a whole lot less. Maybe it's your box or it's close to heat source making it overheat more or something, I know they tend to run hot.

HERE IS THE RESPONSE I RECEIVED FROM A DIRECTV REP:

Dear [Name],

Thanks for writing. I'm sorry to hear that you had such an unfortunate experience with DIRECTV's H20. Difficult service experiences like the one you had are rare and we certainly do not take them lightly. Again, I apologize for the trouble you had and hope that the new receiver will resolve the problem. However, if you still have any outstanding concerns, please let me know.

Thanks again for writing and stay tuned to DIRECTV.com for the latest news and information about our service.

Sincerely,

[NAME]
DIRECTV Customer Service

No waiting. No hold times. Register online at directv.com or use our automated phone system to pay your bills, change services, get technical assistance and much more! Our automated systems are easy to use and you'll avoid most transaction fees.

A: No, I don't subscribe to Sunday Ticket.

Qs: When is the new bird going up?

Should I cancel the HD package to which I am currently subscribing?

DS0816 said:
A: No, I don't subscribe to Sunday Ticket.

Qs: When is the new bird going up?

Should I cancel the HD package to which I am currently subscribing?

You just wrote in a previous post that DirecTV is sending you a new H20. Dont you want to wait and see if problems goes away with new receiver?

As an installer I can tell you for me it is also frustrating when issues with HD arise and customers call us back for service call. Because unlike with basic dishes and receivers I cannot exactly tell what the problem is. Might be defective dish or bad receivers. Installation was done right with new cable and proper dish alignment. Customer says everyday TV goes out or just the picture disappears. I dont know what to tell them. Tech department at DTV doesnt know.

My suggestion - be patient and understand this is new technology and therefore there will be issues. If you want perfect impecable service worry free for years to come just get basic service non-HD. We still install those and they always go smooth very happy customers.

tech007 said:
You just wrote in a previous post that DirecTV is sending you a new H20. Dont you want to wait and see if problems goes away with new receiver?

As an installer I can tell you for me it is also frustrating when issues with HD arise and customers call us back for service call. Because unlike with basic dishes and receivers I cannot exactly tell what the problem is. Might be defective dish or bad receivers. Installation was done right with new cable and proper dish alignment. Customer says everyday TV goes out or just the picture disappears. I dont know what to tell them. Tech department at DTV doesnt know.

My suggestion - be patient and understand this is new technology and therefore there will be issues. If you want perfect impecable service worry free for years to come just get basic service non-HD. We still install those and they always go smooth very happy customers.

My H20 was junk. Not only did I get all the "Resets" in the middle of good shows, but the thing froze, and went to "White Screen" a few times as well. I does run hot, but mine had absolutley nothing blocking it from breathing properly. Seems to me if it runs too hot, why the hell didn't they install a fan inside?

They sent me 2 other H20's and they were even worse, tons o other problems and all of the previous problems, so instead of sending my original box back, I kept it until I could see what the new ones would be like. and as crappy as mine was, it was the best of the three. What a joke that box is, I doubt that getting a new box will resolve anything, so don't hold your breath.

I had so many issues with that box and D*'s service, that after complaining about it, they finally agreed to give me the HR20 for free (except tax). I have not had ANY of the issues I had before with "El Crappo H20" since I got this new box. The HR20 has some small issues, but nothing in comparison to H20, and I could not be happier. HD PQ is better too.

It was Not the dish or the cables as they tried to suggest to me, because all those problems went away with a different box, plain & simple.

Last edited:
I have had my H20 for 3 months now, and it is working fine. No problems at all.

Is it possibly a problem with a certain manufacturer? Mine is a H20 - 100, RCA/Thompson manufacturer.

What is the manufacturer code of the problem receivers?
100 = RCA/Thompson
200 = Samsung
300 = Philips
400 = Hughes
500 = Humax
600 = LG

lou_do said:
I have had my H20 for 3 months now, and it is working fine. No problems at all.

Is it possibly a problem with a certain manufacturer? Mine is a H20 - 100, RCA/Thompson manufacturer.

What is the manufacturer code of the problem receivers?
100 = RCA/Thompson
200 = Samsung
300 = Philips
400 = Hughes
500 = Humax
600 = LG

I think mine was a -700, who makes that one?

ktk3438 said:
I think mine was a -700, who makes that one?
The 700 is the HR20 HD DVR hence the HR20-700
the 700 is made by Pace.
there were NO h20's made by pace, so the H-20-700 must be a typo or read wrong off the receiver, no big deal ....

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
The 700 is the HR20 HD DVR hence the HR20-700
the 700 is made by Pace.
there were NO h20's made by pace, so the H-20-700 must be a typo or read wrong off the receiver, no big deal ....

Jimbo

I'm probably mistaken, I'll look at it one more time before I send it back to them next week.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)