H3 repeatedly wants to install an upgrade

jhearl

Original poster
Dec 13, 2020
USA
A few days ago, I was watching TV around 7:30 in the morning. A notice popped up on the screen saying the H3 wanted to install a software update. It gave me the option to continue watching or look at the power settings to adjust the update schedule. I was in the middle of a show so I selected continue watching and the pop-up went away. Later that day, I went through the menu system to do a manual upgrade. It told me I already had the latest software (U939). I also checked to see when the receiver is supposed to check for updates (Daily Reset Time) and it was (and remains) set to 1:00am.

The next morning, right around the same time, the pop-up was back. So this time, I decided to let it do the upgrade. It went thru various machinations then rebooted the receiver. Figured, OK - all should be well now - maybe it was something unrelated to the system software that needed to be updated. This morning, same thing, same time only this time around I told it to continue watching. I once again checked the software version and it still tells me I have the latest version (U939). I'm fully expecting this to happen again tomorrow but I sure don't know why.

Has anyone else seen this happen? Something I should call Dish about? This is a leased H3 that I've only had for less than two months.

Thanks -
John

A few days ago, I was watching TV around 7:30 in the morning. A notice popped up on the screen saying the H3 wanted to install a software update. It gave me the option to continue watching or look at the power settings to adjust the update schedule. I was in the middle of a show so I selected continue watching and the pop-up went away. Later that day, I went through the menu system to do a manual upgrade. It told me I already had the latest software (U939). I also checked to see when the receiver is supposed to check for updates (Daily Reset Time) and it was (and remains) set to 1:00am.

The next morning, right around the same time, the pop-up was back. So this time, I decided to let it do the upgrade. It went thru various machinations then rebooted the receiver. Figured, OK - all should be well now - maybe it was something unrelated to the system software that needed to be updated. This morning, same thing, same time only this time around I told it to continue watching. I once again checked the software version and it still tells me I have the latest version (U939). I'm fully expecting this to happen again tomorrow but I sure don't know why.

Has anyone else seen this happen? Something I should call Dish about? This is a leased H3 that I've only had for less than two months.

Thanks -
John
Happens to me every day. Wish I knew how to stop/fix it.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Happens to me every day. Wish I knew how to stop/fix it.

Accept the update once and it will go away. Or if you go into the settings menus, buried in there is an option to install the new software 'Now', when you are not watching anything. It won't do the update if it's in PTAT or recording anything so it has to find a time (even if you are just watching) that a recording is not taking place to not disturb the recording.

If you watch late at night, you can move the 'update' time to whatever time you'd like during the day. But again, if you are recording something at that time, it will bug you later.

Reactions: TheKrell
Accept the update once and it will go away. Or if you go into the settings menus, buried in there is an option to install the new software 'Now', when you are not watching anything. It won't do the update if it's in PTAT or recording anything so it has to find a time (even if you are just watching) that a recording is not taking place to not disturb the recording.

If you watch late at night, you can move the 'update' time to whatever time you'd like during the day. But again, if you are recording something at that time, it will bug you later.
Is PTAT Auto Tune?
If yes, that may be the problem. I looked through my scheduled recordings which includes auto tune, some of the shows are showing up during my daily reset scheduled time.
This is frustrating because I like to be notified during the day but then they are repeating multiple times over a 24 hour period… Oh well!

I’ll go through and eliminate them and see if that solves the problem.

PTAT and Auto Tune are not the same.

Auto Tune merely changes the channel that is being output to HDMI/Component/composite, etc. out puts. It is a type of timer but it does not record, just changes the channel at the specified time.

PTAT records all the big four networks off a single satellite transponder during prime time and is kept for only eight days unless you save a show out of Prime Time.

Reactions: charlesrshell
PTAT and Auto Tune are not the same.

Auto Tune merely changes the channel that is being output to HDMI/Component/composite, etc. out puts. It is a type of timer but it does not record, just changes the channel at the specified time.

PTAT records all the big four networks off a single satellite transponder during prime time and is kept for only eight days unless you save a show out of Prime Time.
Autotune is just a Type/Setting for the DVR Timer which either records or alerts/change channels. I think based on the info you provided about a recording that this could be my monster...I'll let this thread know my results after a few days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)