Hard Drive Bargain Watch

I agree with those who are concerned with Maxtor’s reliability so I selected a Seagate 500 gigabyte ST3500641AS-RK for its attributes of reliability and running cool and quiet.
I put the HD into an Apricorn EZ-BUS-DTS enclosure. I’ve used any number of external enclosures over the years and concluded that for them to operate reliably over the long term they need active cooling. The only problem was that most enclosures that had fans used these little 1” fans that had to run at a relatively high RPM to generate any meaningful airflow resulting in way too much noise especially if the enclosure will be located in a component or rack setup next to the TV.

That’s why many manufactures elect the passive cooling path and this is a compromise that causes the HD to run warmer than I want it to. Remember that heat is the enemy of the HD.

Back to the Apricorn enclosure. This enclosure is constructed in aluminum and comes in a silver finish which matches my 622 so it doesn’t stand out. The primary attribute is that it contains a quiet 3.5” fan that can run at a lower RPM while generating very good airflow. It also has both USB and ESATA connectors for versatility and (did I mention?) is extremely quiet.

My only complaint is the little rubber tabs that cover the mounting screws are a little annoying to get back in until you figure out that using a screwdriver to press them in solves the problem. Also, not a complaint, but I wish the enclosure came in black in addition to silver.

As preciously stated, I’ve used dozens of external enclosures over the years and this is the best one I’ve found. If you’re considering looking this one over, I believe it can be found at numerous web stores including Newegg.com

Did I mention when standing three feet from the HD/enclosure I hear nothing. That’s quiet.

Quick question on the External HD USB cable... What is the cable plug on the HD end? Is it mini-usb or the regular blade type usb as found on computers?

USB%20plug%20A%20b.gif

The mini goes in the HD enclosure.

Mini-a or -b? I have mini-b and standard-b laying about here,

Are they all pretty much standardized? I just ordered a Cavalry 500GB from buy.com but nothing about cable requirements was listed.

Mini-a or -b? I have mini-b and standard-b laying about here,

Are they all pretty much standardized? I just ordered a Cavalry 500GB from buy.com but nothing about cable requirements was listed.
Upper right hand of your illustration.

From SlickDeals.net

Dell Home has Western Digital MyBook 500GB USB2.0 External Hard Drive for $114.75 - 10% when you pay with paypal = $103 with free shipping. Next best on PriceGrabber is $140. :

Thanks for the tip! Just bought 2, 1 for each 622 I have...

...I put the HD into an Apricorn EZ-BUS-DTS enclosure...
Thanks for this post. After seeing some of the bug threads and problems related to over the counter HDD's, I think I've made up mind to pick up a DB35 (probably a ST3750640SCE). I'm most concerned about getting a reliable drive for longevity and performance, rather than paying the lowest price.

I was having some difficulty finding an enclosure that had active cooling and this one looks like it fits the bill perfectly!

careful with the Maxton external HD's..I and several collegues have had several failures with them, so I stick to seagate or Wester Digital..Maxtors are usually the cheapest, and now I undertstand why..

Never buy Maxtor hard drives. The failure rate on Maxtor internal drives is very high, don't really know if it's that high with External drives but I would suggest to stay away from Maxtor drives.

"Dell Home has Western Digital MyBook 500GB USB2.0 External Hard Drive for $114.75 - 10% when you pay with paypal = $103 with free shipping. Next best on PriceGrabber is $140."

Got one for $103.27 + Taxes = $111.78. Not a bad deal. Thanks.

There are two drives internally but it is presented as one drive to the 622. I have seen a few posts of users who have 1TB and 1.5TB units working but I would need to go back and look to see which units they are. This looked like a great deal no matter how you used it!

Since Dish has said 750GB is the official limit, you are on your own if you try it.

Two questions I need help with. Thanks in advance for any answers.

Am I thinking correct that if the 722 has a 500 gb hard drive and will store 55 hours of hd will an external 500 store the same. If so would it be any more expensive to opt for a 722 dvr.

What would most of you recommend as the most relieable hard drive that has worked correct 100% of the time with the 622.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)