Harmony 520 Remotes Under $30

I'll second that. I've had a couple of Sony receivers, and I've always had to switch to the other control set to get my Harmony remotes to work with them.

This is something you change in the receiver? And if I do that, then I am guessing that the original 722 remote (which controls the av power and volume) will no longer work?

I'm sorry I didn't see this thread earlier or I'd have advised you guys to think twice about this remote - at any price. While it does do the things Harmony remotes are noted for, this particular model is not constructed very well. Very dainty and won't last long under the pressure a normal man will usually exert on it. The upper half is very thin and can actually bend under normal pressure to the upper buttons. After a while the slight bending that occurs will crack the circuit board and some of the buttons will stop working. Probably why there's such a good deal on them. The 670 is more money but no where near what the other over-priced models are and it's built much better than the 520.

i've had my 670 for 3 years and it's in excellent condition but the 520 for $30 isn't bad so people just need to be more gentle with it.still worth the $30 to me. Of course i use me 670 to tenderize my meats:D

Appreciate the heads up :up, even though I already bought a few. I will just have to be careful with them. If they do break, but they also perform how people here say, I will upgrade to a better model with better build quality

Yeah, this is a trial run with Harmony for me.

you guys are going to love it! the software makes it so easy to program you'll want to make changes here and there until you get all of your activities to function exactly the way you want them to. no need to settle.but be patient and give it time. if you really like it then get one of the better models

Well... I got the DVR button programmed by customer support; and got the device working with the sony. NOW the 722 remote won't control the sony. Going to try the Dish network remote control search to see if I can get the dish remote to work with the av1 settings.

My kid already declared he won't use the Harmony; as he likes his Dish network remote. :)

I ususally map the E/# key at the very bottom as "DVR". ;)

"My kid already declared he won't use the Harmony; as he likes his Dish network remote. "

Same thing happened to me, my wife and my daughter refuse to use the Harmony so I'm the only one using it. They prefer the Dish Network remote and to think that I bought it just to make their life easier. :(

It's very easy to remap the buttons.
Just click on "Customize Buttons" on your "Watch TV" activity.
Scroll down to the button you want to change (e.g. "#"), select the device from the list (e.g. "Satellite") and then select the command (e.g. "DVR"). Click "Done".
It doesn't get any easier. Or you can just call Harmony tech. support and they will do it for you. :)

DVR function

I was able to train it from the Dish 722 remote and associated it with the # sign. Only problem is it won't work initially when you hit Watch TV. All other functions work fine. When I hit the # sign, nothing happens. To make it work, I have to select PVR from devices. I sent an e-mail to support. They responded within a half-hour and said they had programed in the fix and to update. However, it did not take. Will try calling in after Christmas.

you guys are going to love it! the software makes it so easy to program you'll want to make changes here and there until you get all of your activities to function exactly the way you want them to. no need to settle.but be patient and give it time. if you really like it then get one of the better models

Too late I ordered that 880 off ebay now. :)

My wife refuses to use any other remotes. :D

I was able to train it from the Dish 722 remote and associated it with the # sign.
Why did you have to train it? Why not just select it from the list of commands? See the steps I mentioned a few posts above.

Why did you have to train it? Why not just select it from the list of commands? See the steps I mentioned a few posts above.
Because there was no such command option. (for the dish DVR button).

Because there was no such command option. (for the dish DVR button).
Then it means your Watch TV activity is most likely not setup properly. I suggest you run the wizard again and make sure the satellite receiver is included in your Watch TV activity.

Then it means your Watch TV activity is most likely not setup properly. I suggest you run the wizard again and make sure the satellite receiver is included in your Watch TV activity.

Nope. Ran it again. Same thing.

Ok, let me check. I don't have the 722, but I will add it to my list just to try.

Ok, try this:
1. Go to Devices and delete your Satellite (click on the trash icon).
2. Click Add Device.
3. Select "Satellite" as a device type.
4. As a manufacturer select "Echostar" instead of "Dish Network"
5. enter 722 as a model.

This one does have "DVR" command. I just checked.
Give it a try.

Ok, try this:
1. Go to Devices and delete your Satellite (click on the trash icon).
2. Click Add Device.
3. Select "Satellite" as a device type.
4. As a manufacturer select "Echostar" instead of "Dish Network"
5. enter 722 as a model.

This one does have "DVR" command. I just checked.
Give it a try.
Ah-Ha! Thanks for the research. Will try it later today or tomorrow. Christmas Eve chores are stacking up.

Yeah I've found they often have more than one iteration of a given device. And some of them may be incomplete as far as the commands they include.

and , rockymtnhigh, I will try to remember to have a look at my Sony receivers to see if they're on av1 or av2. I know my Harmony controls either of the receivers and my Dish remote controls the volume on the sony receiver without me having to switch inputs or anything. I think there was a way, when setting up the remote, to have it use the receiver rather than the TV for volume.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)