hartford/new haven now has neighboring locals

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I talked to CSR last night and they supposedly started in Alabama I think she said. She was looking at that sample trying to get my channels.

I think I am in weird mix. I am technically in Hartford County yet when I look for my zip code, its showing in Tolland and New London. The channels havent showed up and the CSR didnt know how to make them active. She mentioned th 12th of April they would be effective and show up automatically but I dont know. I think me being technically in Hartford County doesnt work.

Brewer4 said:
I talked to CSR last night and they supposedly started in Alabama I think she said. She was looking at that sample trying to get my channels.

I think I am in weird mix. I am technically in Hartford County yet when I look for my zip code, its showing in Tolland and New London. The channels havent showed up and the CSR didnt know how to make them active. She mentioned th 12th of April they would be effective and show up automatically but I dont know. I think me being technically in Hartford County doesnt work.

What is your zip code?

Brewer4 said:
06447 - Marlborough

Hey, my sister just moved from there to Portland! Marlborough is Hartford county no matter what the lookup says.

Update - 2,4 & 5 came on automatically on my SD boxes but not the HD box (Samsung TS360). Even tried the old pull the plug reset! The TS360 has always acted different from any other STB I've had. Is the H20 any better?

P.S. New Haven county

88isgreat said:
Update - 2,4 & 5 came on automatically on my SD boxes but not the HD box (Samsung TS360). Even tried the old pull the plug reset! The TS360 has always acted different from any other STB I've had. Is the H20 any better?

P.S. New Haven county

Does the Samsung HD have a "network setup" menu ? If so, maybe try re-running that. My LG and Zenith have that.

jake14mw said:
I checked their little application, and it indeed lists that I am only supposed to be getting channel 5. It also looks like they have nothing listed for Hartford county yet. For me, the only thing this would be good for is football season, where occasionally the New York stations have a different game on than the Hartford stations. Fat chance I'll still be getting Channel 2 by then!

According to the FCC SV list, Hartford County wouldn't be eligible for any SV stations.

Of course, from what's being observed around CT, the FCC SV list isn't necessarily being followed. For Hartford County, the leading contenders would be 22 and 40 from Springfield... and 40 would be iffy since it looks like WTNH is tolerating no ABC competition on their turf.

I live in Eastern CT, and I noticed that I now get Ch 4 from Boston. Very odd, because that it the ONLY channel that was added. The Providence stations (which I can get via antenna if I wanted them) are closer, but are not listed, neither are the other Boston stations.

I wonder why WBZ is the only added station? When I do the database search, this is the only channel that pops up.

Go figure!

Just a reminder: distance is not always a determining factor, which I can agree is somewhat crazy, but DBS providers can only supply what they are told/allowed to based on zip codes.

Brewer4 said:

I just looked at the sv chart from D*. It shows that zip code 06447 can be in Hartford , Tolland, or New London counties. Pretty weird since is really is Hartford county.

Maphisto's Sidekick said:
According to the FCC SV list, Hartford County wouldn't be eligible for any SV stations.

Are you sure about that? I could have sworn Hartford county was supposed to get at least Channel 40 from Springfield, and Channel 5 from New York. I don't have the saved link to the list.

raoul5788 said:
I just looked at the sv chart from D*. It shows that zip code 06447 can be in Hartford , Tolland, or New London counties. Pretty weird since is really is Hartford county.

I know. We are technically in Hartford County but it gives you the other counties and our zip code is listed with those channels.

I'm in Norwich (06360) and the directv page shows me as getting WJAR 10 & WPRI 12 - now I just have to get off the pc and see if that's on yet.

* looked and they are there without having to do anything more than adding to the favorites list. I noticed 625 and 627 are running NY sports now too (sny?)

Last edited:
Hi eveyone. I just turned on the tv this morning and noticed that we now get the three NYC stations here in New Haven County (Connecticut). I checked two receivers and they both get it. I didn't know about the change so I didn't call D*.

jake14mw said:
Are you sure about that? I could have sworn Hartford county was supposed to get at least Channel 40 from Springfield, and Channel 5 from New York. I don't have the saved link to the list.

Positive.

Here's The List for Connecticut at the county level, with smilies indicating whether D* is making them available under SV.

Fairfield
:) [NYC Locals]
:( WTNH-TV, 8, New Haven, CT
:( WTXX, 20, Waterbury, CT

Hartford
:) [Hartford Locals]

Litchfield
:) WCBS-TV, 2, New York, NY
:) WNBC, 4, New York, NY
:) WNYW, 5, New York, NY
:( WPIX, 11, New York, NY

Middlesex

New Haven
:) WCBS-TV, 2, New York, NY
:) WNBC, 4, New York, NY
:( #WABC-TV, 7, New York, NY
:( #WWOR-TV, 9, New York, NY
:( WPIX, 11, New York, NY

[# = limited in certain areas; e.g. WABC not allowed in New Haven proper when carrying programming also carried by WTNH.]

New London
:( WTEV, 6, Providence, RI-New Bedford, MA
:) WJAR, 10, Providence, RI-New Bedford, MA
:) WPRI, 12, Providence, RI-New Bedford, MA
:( WCVB-TV, 5, Boston, MA

Tolland
:) WBZ-TV, 4, Boston, MA
:( WGGB-TV, 40, Springfield, MA

Windham
:( WLNE-TV, 6, Providence, RI
:) WJAR, 10, Providence, RI
:( WPRI-TV, 12, Providence, RI
:) WBZ-TV, 4, Boston, MA
:( WCVB-TV, 5, Boston, MA
:( WHDH-TV, 7, Boston, MA

Despite what The List says, it's been observed that what D*'s been offering in SV areas doesn't necessarily correspond to The List. In some cases, that's presumably because of the licensing issues arising from the FCC's wimpy interpretation of SHVERA (e.g., notice the lack of any ABC stations from what was just turned on).

In other cases, "odd but logical" things have happened -- e.g. Windham County, VT getting access to Burlington locals via SV, even though they aren't on The List.

And in still other cases -- who knows what's up. I suppose that WWOR and WPIX could be absent from the SV additions because of complaints by WTXX and WCTX, but why D* is making WPRI available in New London County, but not Windham County escapes me.

raoul5788 said:
Hey, my sister just moved from there to Portland! Marlborough is Hartford county no matter what the lookup says.
physical location is not the issue..The zip code of the mailing addy is the criteria by which Nielsen determines which DMA a tv household is in..
Example....Marston ,NC a little town 70 east of Charlotte is in Richmond County. on the DMA map http://ekb.dbstalk.com/TVMarkets/Maps/north_carolina.gif.....
MAny residents that have Marston zips live in Scotland County which is in the Florence Myrtle Beach DMA. However, those subs stil get their LIL from Charlotte..
Hope that clears things up a bit.....
in all fairness, SV channel viewing areas are a bit trickier...SO far in my travels to the outer reaches of the Charlotte DMA I haven't seen any SV channels delivered to those subs INSIDE the Charlotte DMA...Stay tuned

Last edited:
what is the reasoning if we now get NY locals why not the HD feed as well???

cmags said:
what is the reasoning if we now get NY locals why not the HD feed as well???
I should imagine it has something to do with cost..I really do not know...I could make guesses but that would be a waste of time..
Do you have an mpeg4 receiver right now?...

Really wish we got the HD feeds as well. Any idea what the heck is going to happen come football season? I am bummed I only get CBS in Vernon though :(

dishcomm said:
<SNIP>...SO far in my travels to the outer reaches of the Charlotte DMA I haven't seen any SV channels delivered to those subs INSIDE the Charlotte DMA...Stay tuned

We are in Burke County and according to the FCC SV list we should be receiving the following SV stations.

• :) WLOS-ABC
    :) WYFF-NBC
    :) WSPA-CBS
    :) WHNS-FOX

These Asheville,NC-Greenville-Spartanburg,SC stations are on the same spot beam as the Charlotte DMA. Adding these SV stations should be a snap. At least the ABC, since the Charlotte ABC WSOC is already being delivered as SV in parts of the Winston-Salem-Greensboro-High Point, NC DMA.

When I call D* about when these will be turned on, the answers I get are worthless.

As a side note, the local cable company carries these stations. As it has been for years. The Charlotte stations, especially CBS, pre-empt way too much.

Status
Please reply by conversation.