Has the Showtime West HD problem been fixed?

GeneWildershair

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 28, 2004
Bay Area
I haven't really had time lately to watch tv, (been over worked) but tonight I just turned on the tv for a short time, and didn't notice the that really bad stutter during fast movement. Again I only had it on for a very short time, so I could be wrong. I did still notice the annoying small stutter/frame skip problem still that plagues every channel including OTA though. But that's been there forever! Anyone know if Wilt, or anyone at VOOM has confirmed this to be a problem yet? I have posted here, and at the yahoo group several times about this issue, but it keeps getting ignored! I know a lot of you folks have confirmed seeing this too. We really shouldn't just ignore it. I know it seems that I've been complaining a lot lately about VOOM, but I just want to see these problems get fixed, after all I am paying for it. Besides, I don't think they'll ever fix what isn't complained about. I know the folks over at VOOM have been sending out updates fairly quickly, and working hard to get things straightened out, and I commend them for that, but there are still many things that need to be addressed. I feel this stutter/frame drop issue should be getting pretty high on their list of things to be fixed right about now, considering how they've already fixed a number of other annoying problems.Yet I have yet to hear any confirmation from them about it. :confused:

Scratch that. I am still seeing some strange pixelation/blur during fast movement/action scenes, that just looks plain terrible! I don't see that huge frame drop that we have seen a couple days ago, but the pixelation/blur is still there. :(

I watched ShoWHd just because of these posts and have not seen anything out of the ordinary, no stuttering or skipping.

Shelly

Ok as for the showtime problem. It looks like they've fixed the major stutter/frame drop problem, but when the action gets to fast, the whole picture will pixelate badly. There is a commercial I just saw on there, (note again that this is showtime HD *west* only) that is advertising boxing on showtime, and during this commercial, you can see the pixelated mess very easily. It was even more evident when watching "Children of the Corn: Reserection" last night.The ending has a lot action going on, and boy did it get really ugly. Just to give you some examples when to look out for this problem. It's really starting to seem like it's just a matter of VOOM not having the bandwith for all this HD content.As for the normal stutter issue, I don't know what to say if you guys can't see those, they are present on every channel.

A lot of the Voom HD channels pixelate during fast movement. If they really want to succeed, they need to increase the bandwidth allocation for these channels or people are not going to stand for this. I dropped Dish due to their overcompression of SD and if Voom goes that route, I will drop them as well. I will give them until after the MPEG4 rollout to see how things iron out.

DarrellP said:
A lot of the Voom HD channels pixelate during fast movement. If they really want to succeed, they need to increase the bandwidth allocation for these channels or people are not going to stand for this. I dropped Dish due to their overcompression of SD and if Voom goes that route, I will drop them as well. I will give them until after the MPEG4 rollout to see how things iron out.

I think I will wait for Mpeg4 also, and see what that holds in store for us voomers. If it doesn't get any better, I am out too. Like you said I see the pixelation on quite a few HD channels too, but ot nearly as bad as ShowtimeHDwest.

Since I am also not seeing these problems guys, am wondering if you have defective boxes---have either of you had box upgrades - and did you have these problems with the first box also?

FAYRICH said:
Since I am also not seeing these problems guys, am wondering if you have defective boxes---have either of you had box upgrades - and did you have these problems with the first box also?

Wilt had confirmed that they were having issues with Showtime HD west, and some people even then didn't notice it, when there were some pretty major stutter problems going on, so no I don't think this is just a case where just a few boxes are bad.Again many people repoorted this issue to VOOM, and it was confirmed, and *somewhat* fixed. While the major stutters are gone on that channel, it still pixelates with fast movement. If you see that boxing commercial they play, you will see it. no other channel gets that bad for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts