Have BUD, getting fta box, tough dish decisions....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JerryK

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 25, 2005
Hi Guys,
I give up. I'm done waiting for the hd receivers and tonight I'm getting a coolsat 5000.

I'm posting this here because you guys already have BUDs, and I have to decide what I'm going to to dishwise.

I've seen LNBfs mounted on the BUD scalar ring...this would certainly keep my yard clean, but would it harm performance of my other lnb's? And would there be other reasons not to do that?
(Note: The BUD is a 10' winegard mesh, c/ku working already with a dsr922)

I also have an elliptical directv dish mounted on (the side of) my house. Can I swap out the LNBF on it and be operational? (I'd be willing to put a rotor on that if it would work)

I suppose option3 is to buy yet another dish...one of the larger round ones. If I must do that, is there any chance it would work on my wallmount in place of the directv dish?

Many thanks for all opinions you can offer!!!
Jerry

Last edited:
Thanks PSB, the photos look great!

... Did you buy the scalar ring with those LNBF arcs cut out, or did you put it in a milling machine yourself? I have a CorotorII that I'll maim as long as It's safe.

....Just how big is the "area of signal concentration" at the dish focal point? I see your lnbf's aren't dead center on the ring, so it can't be as small as a golfball like I've heard.

...operationally (when watching tv) Is it any simpler having it on the BUD, or pretty much the same as on a separate dish?

Thanks again for your help.
j

Jerry , If I was You , I would use Your Bud and slave
it to Your 922, If You have good signal on Your 922, You shouldn't have any problems with the coolsat working. Ku signals are a little tougher to get, but minor
tweeking should take care of that, If the holes in Your mesh are not to big.

Thanks PSB, the photos look great!

... Did you buy the scalar ring with those LNBF arcs cut out, or did you put it in a milling machine yourself? I have a CorotorII that I'll maim as long as It's safe.

....Just how big is the "area of signal concentration" at the dish focal point? I see your lnbf's aren't dead center on the ring, so it can't be as small as a golfball like I've heard.

...operationally (when watching tv) Is it any simpler having it on the BUD, or pretty much the same as on a separate dish?

Thanks again for your help.
j

Those pictures were from another member, for some reason my pictures never took :)

I cut mine out with a drill a hack saw and a half round file!

Attachments

• Pict0105.JPG
    Pict0105.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 200
  • Pict0106.JPG
    Pict0106.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Thanks..you've all sold me on using my big dish. Now, I just have an LNB question if you don't mind... I could probably dig this up but you guys could save me a lot of time.

I thought the differences in KU Lnb's were "circular vs linear" polarity or something.

I've seen the sticky threads and know that standard DBS LNBF will get me just a few demos...mostly fluff that I'm not too interested in. Is the LNBF on PSB's dish different from both a DBS lnb AND different from my BUD's KU LNB?

My BUD's KU Lnb (eagle aspen, works pretty well) will apparently get me NASA and a bunch of other stuff.

Is that the only kind there are?

My 10 footer with economy lnb's (17 degree and .6) that feeds my 922 is set up similar to the diagram (except I use a couple of dc blocks and feed into a 4 way dsq switch which also takes feeds from 2 other dishes for my Trasxis and I have no issues with signal quality on any of the birds in my arc so higher quality lnb's may not be necessary.

Last edited:
My BUD's KU Lnb (eagle aspen, works pretty well) will apparently get me NASA and a bunch of other stuff.
If the mesh on your dish is small enough, the KU LNB that you have now will probably work OK for KU band fta.

The only reason that I can think of to add another KU only dish is if you want to have fixed dishes for faster channel changing / multiple FTA recievers.

I am currently using a .7 db KU lnb on my 10' BUD and I am finding that I get slightly better KU performance out of my BUD as I do out of my 1.2 meter KU dish.

Well, my coolsat 5000 came today and I'm going to hook it up now...I'll let you know how it goes.... If I can get Nasa and RFD, I'll consider the project a success :)

Uh Oh. Problem 1...I didn't look at the diagram. I have the Diseq switch, but no "high frequency splitters". I don't suppose I'm going to find the appropriate type at Best Buy or Radio Shack am I?

Last edited:
I know Best Buy has them. They are by Monster and pricey. I had gotten 2 and went back and got some 4x1's, even more pricey. They have 2GHz in large letters on them. And, they are one port power passthrough, which is best, at least for me. They also have some by AR (Acoustic Research), less pricey, but they are not one port power passthrough. They are all port power passthrough, and I would not recommend any like those. But, that's me.

Al

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)