HBO is BACK on DISH

The deal to prepay for one year of HBO Max at a discounted rate ($150 totally ad-free, or $100 with ads in the non-HBO content) is available, as far as I know, only if you pay directly through the service by signing up at hbomax.com.
I signed up for it via Roku, not hbomax.com. I'll probably go ask them sometime in the next few weeks after the Dish HBO initial flurry settles down.

1627837003850.png

Reactions: charlesrshell
I signed up for it via Roku, not hbomax.com. I'll probably go ask them sometime in the next few weeks after the Dish HBO initial flurry settles down.

View attachment 152942
If you are going to try to get out of the deal with Roku, I would contact Roku as quickly as possible instead of continuing to use the service. My guess is that any sort of a refund would be a longshot, though.

View attachment 152942
Hmm, didn't realize that Roku or any other distributor was offering the deal too. Good luck getting out of it. I seriously doubt that Roku has any way of transferring your subscription over to Dish or anyone else.

I'd contact them immediately -- before your next month of service begins on Aug. 7 -- and ask to be refunded for the remaining 10 months left, which should amount to $124.99. Although I'm pretty sure that none of these services offer refunds for any amount of time once you've already paid for it. If/when Roku says no to a refund, you could ask about transferring your subscription over to Dish, but I have to think that that's even *less* likely to happen than receiving a refund as I just don't think any of these distributors have systems in place between them to handle that sort of thing (and frankly, they have zero incentive to do so).

I seriously doubt that Roku has any way of transferring your subscription over to Dish or anyone else.
I'm quite sure that Roku and Dish and HBO could figure out a way to handle something as simple as this. These newfangled computers can do a lot of good stuff.

I'm pretty sure that none of these services offer refunds for any amount of time once you've already paid for it.
Actually, Roku did that for me back in June. I had already paid for the next month when I found out about and signed up for the annual plan. I contacted Roku and they had already prorated my annual plan to reflect the $15.

Roku Customer Support:
"I understand from your message that you already switched your Monthly subscription to HBO Max Ad-Free Monthly into HBO Max Ad-Free Yearly. And your account were being twice charged for the same channel. Please be advised that the amount that was processed on your account for the yearly one was already prorated. We already less the amount $14.99 to the original price of the HBO Max Ad-Free Yearly."

I'm quite sure that Roku and Dish and HBO could figure out a way to handle something as simple as this. These newfangled computers can do a lot of good stuff.

Actually, Roku did that for me back in June. I had already paid for the next month when I found out about and signed up for the annual plan. I contacted Roku and they had already prorated my annual plan to reflect the $15.

Roku Customer Support:
"I understand from your message that you already switched your Monthly subscription to HBO Max Ad-Free Monthly into HBO Max Ad-Free Yearly. And your account were being twice charged for the same channel. Please be advised that the amount that was processed on your account for the yearly one was already prorated. We already less the amount $14.99 to the original price of the HBO Max Ad-Free Yearly."

What they did for you before wasn't refunding anything, it was just crediting your already-paid partially-used current monthly payment toward the new annual payment. I think I recall where HBO Max did the same thing for those subscribing and paying directly through them.

HBO Max's support site explicitly states "There is a no refund policy for subscriptions billed directly through WarnerMedia." For refunds from other providers, such as Roku, it states "Contact your billing provider with regard to any refund requests for charges." So maybe you'll get lucky with Roku and they'll cancel your HBO Max account and refund you the unused $125 for the remaining 10 months of service. Then you can sign back up through Dish.

As for newfangled computers being able to transfer your account, again, there have to be systems and protocols in place for those computers at different companies to do that, so that Roku could send your prorated remaining annual payment over to Dish and have it be credited to your account there. I just don't think anything like that exists in their systems, because why would it? Kinda like returning an item to Walmart.com and asking them to credit the amount back to your Amazon account. Just doesn't happen.

EDIT: And here's Roku's stated policy on subscription refunds:
"All content purchases and subscriptions purchased outside of The Roku Channel are pre-paid, final, and non-refundable unless otherwise stated in the content and service provider's credit and refund policy."

So is HBO/Cinemax signals available on Satellite or just through the Internet Also can you get the channels on VIP receiver ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lighthope
So maybe you'll get lucky with Roku and they'll cancel your HBO Max account and refund you the unused $125 for the remaining 10 months of service. Then you can sign back up through Dish.
Maybe so. I feel lucky when I interact with Roku.
Roku could send your prorated remaining annual payment over to Dish
Yes, it seems that they could.

it was just crediting your already-paid partially-used current monthly payment toward the new annual payment.
Yes, that is what I wanted them to do.

Kinda like returning an item to Walmart.com and asking them to credit the amount back to your Amazon account. Just doesn't happen.
If I had bought something through Amazon that was fulfilled by Walmart, let's say the "Walmart Storefront on Amazon", it could very easily be the case that the two partners in e-commerce might have an agreement that I could return the item to the local store rather than have them pay to ship it back to some Walmart or Amazon fulfillment center. Then those 'puters with their programs and protocols could get things all settled up afterwards.

What is the point of Dish running HBO Max? If I lived where I could get internet, I wouldn't need satellite television.

Is HBO coming to Dish or is it only going to be the internet version?
HBO is on Dish right now. They have linear channels as well as a few streaming channels. HBOMax is streaming only. If you sub to the DISH HBO package you also get HBOMax for free.

Roku won't be giving you any refund you commited to buy for a 1 yr period so you've already been using it, so your only option is to cancel, then your subscription will run out after 1 year. If you did your research you could've ordered HBO Max through Amazon Prime if you're a Prime member and you would get HBOMax and linear channels, although at $14.99 per month. So I guess you're going to either have to sub to HBO on Dish or wait until your current subscription expires.

If you did your research you could've ordered HBO Max through Amazon Prime
Funny you mention that. I am a Prime member and I did have HBO through the Prime channels for several years, and then when HBO Max came out, they couldn't seem to get the act together in order to show Max titles on the Prime-provided HBO. So I switched to Roku after doing my research. Then I did a little more research and discovered (on here) the availability of the annual plan, which was not offered either when I first subscribed via Amazon or when I moved to Roku.

I'll be sure and let you know if I find that my only option is to double pay for 10 months in order to get HBO from Dish now. Believe me, the lack of the linear channels is not keeping me up at night.

If I had bought something through Amazon that was fulfilled by Walmart, let's say the "Walmart Storefront on Amazon", it could very easily be the case that the two partners in e-commerce might have an agreement that I could return the item to the local store rather than have them pay to ship it back to some Walmart or Amazon fulfillment center. Then those 'puters with their programs and protocols could get things all settled up afterwards.
LOL, OK. There is no "Walmart Storefront on Amazon," so you're creating a fictional scenario (kind of like the fictional scenario you've imagined where Roku and Dish have a practice of freely passing to each other their HBO sales commissions).

Anyhow, good luck and be sure and let us know how this situation works out for you.

Funny you mention that. I am a Prime member and I did have HBO through the Prime channels for several years, and then when HBO Max came out, they couldn't seem to get the act together in order to show Max titles on the Prime-provided HBO.
The non-HBO "Max" content in HBO Max is only available inside the HBO Max app, regardless of how you pay. As for HBO, it will be leaving the Prime Video Channels platform later this year when that contract expires (just as it has already left the similar in-app channels platforms from Roku and Apple).

What is the point of Dish running HBO Max? If I lived where I could get internet, I wouldn't need satellite television.

Is HBO coming to Dish or is it only going to be the internet version?
Dish is adding HBO linear channels to their line-up and HBO content to their on-demand platform, both accessible on Dish receivers. In addition, when you subscribe to HBO from Dish, you can use your Dish credentials to access, at no additional cost, the HBO Max streaming app available on other devices (e.g. Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV, smart phones, etc.).

The non-HBO "Max" content in HBO Max is only available inside the HBO Max app, regardless of how you pay.
Yeah, I know. The problem was that at the time, the HBO Max app did not recognize my Prime credentials so I could not access Max titles, and being monthly pay I didn't have any particular reason not to switch to a subscription where I could access the full HBO Max, hence the comment about not having their act together.

Yeah, I know. The problem was that at the time, the HBO Max app did not recognize my Prime credentials so I could not access Max titles, and being monthly pay I didn't have any particular reason not to switch to a subscription where I could access the full HBO Max, hence the comment about not having their act together.
Yeah, it was a mess for nearly six months last year because Warner (HBO) and Amazon couldn't come to an agreement about distributing HBO Max. Amazon wanted to be in full control of the customer relationship, with all HBO Max content getting displayed inside their own Prime Video app, while Warner drew a line in the sand and refused, insisting that their non-HBO content be exclusive to their own HBO Max app (as the content from Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+, etc. is exclusive to those services' own apps).

So in the meantime, Amazon's HBO subscribers were paying the same $15/mo as everyone else but weren't getting access to all the additional content in the HBO Max app. Switching over to a different distributor, as you did, was the sensible thing to do.

I don't know why they don't put live streams of the HBO linear channels inside the HBO Max app. It would be nice. Although it's not a huge deal, IMO. When you watch current episodes of HBO Originals inside the app, it often even has a preview of the next episode at the end of the one you've just watched and sometimes even an "inside the episode" clip with the director and/or actors discussing it, just as they do on the linear HBO channel.

So, from what I'm seeing on 316, you need a Hopper to get HBOMax, is that correct?

No, not really. HBO Max access is available to anyone who subscribes. HBO Max is a standalone streaming service that you would access from their app on other sources, phones, tablets, Roku/Firestick, etc. The Hopper does NOT have an HBO Max app available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)