Hbo ,Starz,Showtime has declined by 6 % over an 18month period-Netflix,Huluplus,Amazon to blame

Well one probably can say Dish's real price is 6 months 1/2 price or $57 plus 6 months full price $114, $171/year or $14.25 per month... Of course that is if you stay on top of your 6 month half off options. I suppose they figured most customers will forget or not take advantage and they come out ahead...

For me hbo and starz are worth the price, you get great original programming plus many HD channels of content. They are worth the $15 per. Netflix even at only $9 feels over priced. It should be 4 or 5 dollars. They slow bandwidth and eat up my GBs and don't have nearly the content that the other subs do. Amazon is nearly the same as Netflix and you get free shipping on everything too.

I do subscribe to all and netflix and amazon are rarely used.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I have wondered and was told by an individual who should know that Dish was targeting a certain type of customer base (not sure if it was $ or what) and making changes to run off the type they did not want anymore. Gave this some thought and with these pricing changes I almost believe this.

Charlie talked about that quite sometime ago. What was said was they were targeting people to keep that actually pay their bill. In a bad economy he felt trying to keep customers who were not paying was not good for the company. In better times you can try and keep them for awhile.

Your theory goes out the window when you remember one little thing. DISH is still less expensive in many/most cases than other carriers. They offer two of the least expensive packages and in particular those with one or two receivers (ViP) will probably pay less with DISH.

I don't know of anyone who charges less. Remember that with Comcast, every premium service is $20. That's 7 HBO channels cost the same as 2 The Movie Channel channels. Tampa, thanks.

It is cheaper if you add it to a package, this is from Comcast's page after I logged in to my upgrade options.

Do you want to add premium channels, like HBO®, STARZ® and SHOWTIME®?
Add a premium channel of your choice for $10 per month for the first 12 months. Details and Restrictions

Well as of yesterday you can count me in on the 6% group. I dropped from AEP to Top 250,also dropped printed guide. That will save me around $600.00 per year. With that saving I can easily afford to buy any movie or series that I want. I do have 2 Roku's( I purchased) on which I have Netflix and Hulu Plus. The Roku's provide me with content when I want it,not when the premium channels decide when to air it.

Last edited:
Charlie talked about that quite sometime ago. What was said was they were targeting people to keep that actually pay their bill. In a bad economy he felt trying to keep customers who were not paying was not good for the company. In better times you can try and keep them for awhile.

Your theory goes out the window when you remember one little thing. DISH is still less expensive in many/most cases than other carriers. They offer two of the least expensive packages and in particular those with one or two receivers (ViP) will probably pay less with DISH.
For my one VIP household, Directv is the only other player that can remotely compete. I have problems getting Time Warner and Uverse to even be competitive with their intro rates!

I had found out that amazon prime works for me, I tried net flix streaming and bluray by mail. but I found blurays sitting on the table for weeks without watching them. I decided to keep my 200 package and add bb, and all the other movie channels. my wife and I find great movies on these movie channels that we never would have rented. Yea its expensive but there really is no other convenient way.
I just wish dish would slim down repetitive non hd channels.