HD -- Correct me if I'm wrong

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lone Cloud

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2008
I know a dealer who I dropped in on yesterday. He says there are a whole lot of MPEG-4 hidef true fta stations on C-band, but if people start talking about them, (like on forums) the providers will yank 'em.

He also told me I need to install the add-on module to get MPEG -4. Before now, I declined to add the module (Sonicview HD receiver) , because it looked like it might only have an illegal purpose. There is more than enough out there for free for me without doing something illegal. But now I'm wondering if there might be a legal reason to install a module - to get unscrambled, MPEG-4 fta.

Without being specific, Is this MPEG 4 thing happening?

Also, does anyone know if I would be breaking any law adding the module? There has to be a reason the fta receiver companies won't include it in their boxes.

If it's bad to talk about openly, please PM me with the info.

Thanks gents!

Last edited:
It is not illegal to receive a signal that is not encrypted. If you hack or use illegal software - then yes you are breaking the law and being unethical.

I have not seen very much mpeg 4.

dvb s-2 is starting to get popular now with uplinkers trying to save bandwidth to cram more channels on each satellite.

There are tuner boards that are designed to work with dvb s-2 signals that come from programmers of pay tv sources. Then their are legitimate boards that are meant for true free to air.

Most boards on ebay are the hack versions - stay away from those.
buy your board from a reputable dealer.

Thanks much. I ordered one from a dealer. No one seems to have more than one kind of board.

In all my reading on the subject, though, I've never seen a true fta board advertised.
My intention is to install this one and scan for true fta mpeg 4 hidef -

What receiver do you have? if you are trying to get dvb S2 there are recivers that work right out the box, now if you have a Pansat 9200 then you need to get the S2 board, if you bought a hack board it will be worthless for legal use.

Thanks much. I ordered one from a dealer. No one seems to have more than one kind of board.

In all my reading on the subject, though, I've never seen a true fta board advertised.
My intention is to install this one and scan for true fta mpeg 4 hidef -

Why? There is no HD in MPEG4 that is FTA....... Maybe a test channel, but that is it.

What receiver do you have? if you are trying to get mpeg-4 dvb S2 there are receivers that work right out the box, now if you have a Pansat 9200 then you need to get the S2 board, if you bought a hack board it will be worthless for legal use.

I think the Sonicview works fine for mpeg-4 dvb S2, no need for a additional board, the only board out for the Sonicview is the hack board for turbo fec feeds.

Last edited:
are we talking MPEG4 or DVB-S2?

on MPEG 4 QPSK the only thing I have seen is a couple preview channels on Dish.
8PSK DVB-S2 is a different animal and is mainly MPEG4 but there are stations that are also QPSK DVB-S2

I hope I didn't just waste my money. Fortunately it wasn't a great deal of money.

I was actually folowing the instructions of a local satellite guy I've been dealing with a couple of years. He said, ' 100 stations, free, C-Band, Mpeg 4, and Hidef' but that they aren't reporting it on Lyngsat and don't want the information out there in the public realm.

I also looked on the Sonicview website. The specs seem to indicate that it only does mpeg 2 out of the box.

Whatever I do, I'm sure it will be wrong. If it turns out to be just a hack board, I'll throw it in the fire and do a rain dance.

I wasted my money on the board for the sv8k,for dvb-s2,it has the options for dvb-s2,but it will not get them.I know it will do mpeg4 hd,I found an mpeg 4 hd feed a few months ago on c band ,I don't remember the sat but it was the tennis channel,and the sv8k said it was mpeg4 hd at the bottom of the screen,that channel was without the board,because you cannot blind scan with that board,you must select internal tuner.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)