HD-DVR died, anywhere I can buy a new HR-20, HR-24 etc?

jhetfield99

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
NW Indianapolis
Hello fellas, long time occasional lurker on here and I need an assist.
I've had DirecTV since BTN launched (so damn, like 15 years!) Anyway, my original HD-DVR (it was an HR20-700) died a slow death a couple months ago and I cannot find anyone at Direct who will send me a replacement even though I've pissed away money on the protection plan for years. The only answer I get is they can come but they will remove everything and give me a "new free system". Except I don't want a new free system, I want to keep the stuff I have saved on my existing DVRs.

Is there any number or contact at direct I can get a replacement HR24 or something similar?
I have HR24-500's in 2 other rooms.
My mainbox is a Genie that's like 7 years old, an HR34-700. My house is all connected together with a SWM system.

Or if not, is there an individual/contractor/installer/dealer I can buy a HD-DVR capable box from?
And if so, can I who would I call at Direct to get it activated?
(I've heard it's tough to get them to activate a box you purchased offline, but I don't know myself. I did it years ago with a box I use at tailgating/RV but that was before AT&T ruined Direct.)

Please and thank you.

I've had DirecTV since BTN launched (so damn, like 15 years!) Anyway, my original HD-DVR (it was an HR20-700) died a slow death a couple months ago and I cannot find anyone at Direct who will send me a replacement even though I've pissed away money on the protection plan for years. The only answer I get is they can come but they will remove everything and give me a "new free system". Except I don't want a new free system, I want to keep the stuff I have saved on my existing DVRs.

Is there any number or contact at direct I can get a replacement HR24 or something similar?
My mainbox is a Genie that's like 7 years old, an HR34-700. My house is all connected together with a SWM system.

Or if not, is there an individual/contractor/installer/dealer I can buy a HD-DVR capable box from?
(I've heard it's tough to get them to activate a box you purchased offline, but I don't know myself. I did it years ago with a box I use at tailgating/RV but that was before AT&T ruined Direct.)

Please and thank you.
You can't buy boxes from anyone, they are all leases. It's HIGHLY unlikely you will find an HR20 anywhere, at least one that still works. Try calling the loyalty department, they may be able to get you an HR24 to replace your HR20. Call and say cancel at the prompt, that should get you to the loyalty department.

jhetfield99,​

Let us know what you find out ...
I'm kinda looking to replace a few slow HR24's as well.

I'm starting to wonder if I would wipe the box clean "Reset Everything", if it would quicken it up some ...

I know its probably wishful thinking ....
often times it take 4-5 seconds to respond to the remote (not batteries)

Last edited:

Please and thank you.
I suggest you call Solid Signal and discus your account options with them --They can work within your D*TV Account to activate receivers and make changes --Just asking won't cost you anything.

Reactions: harshness

jhetfield99,​

I'm starting to wonder if I would wipe the box clean "Reset Everything", if it would quicken it up some ...

Have you tried doing a CLEARMYBOX command in smart search? I’m pretty sure the problem is ever since AT&T made a deal with tpg, Most legacy receivers have started to slow down like my h24

I suggest you call Solid Signal and discus your account options with them --They can work within your D*TV Account to activate receivers and make changes --Just asking won't cost you anything.
I emailed with Solid Signal about it ...
They want $199. for each box AND he said $150 activation ....
I said, all I'm doing is swapping one box for another HR24 for an HR24 ...
He also said that there would be a 24 month upgrade commitment .....

I told him he's nuts, I'm not upgrading anything ... he said that what the computer will see.

I was pissed by the time I ended the conversations

Reactions: Scott Greczkowski
I find it ridiculous that they want Full price for a item thats what 8 yrs old and still a lease.

IF it was actually NEW, I'd consider it, but they are not.

I told him I could get the same from D* with NO cost or commitment if they had them.

D* told me they didn't have any anymore.
Not sure I believe that.
I find it pretty crappy that the company just flat out abandoned all of thier subs that need equipment.

Reactions: jhetfield99

Please and thank you.

I went through this a few months ago. Three different CSR but they all have the same script to read from. Finally caved and had a truck roll for the “upgrade”. Installer arrived and I made my case that all I wanted was my HR-22 replaced. Off to the back of his truck he goes and returned with an HR-24. No charge, no recommitment, no worries. Good luck in your quest. Only downside is just as the service call was wrapping up an AT&T phone salesman shows up to sell my a new phone plan. No I did not fall for that. AT&T service is horrible here. Upside is he did call a number and my D* discounts were extended.

I went through this a few months ago. Three different CSR but they all have the same script to read from. Finally caved and had a truck roll for the “upgrade”. Installer arrived and I made my case that all I wanted was my HR-22 replaced. Off to the back of his truck he goes and returned with an HR-24. No charge, no recommitment, no worries. Good luck in your quest. Only downside is just as the service call was wrapping up an AT&T phone salesman shows up to sell my a new phone plan. No I did not fall for that. AT&T service is horrible here. Upside is he did call a number and my D* discounts were extended.
I'm glad you were able to find one ...As for the person coming after the tech was done, they been doing that for probably 5-7 years now, if your not with ATT already for Cell .... it is ATT, but its not ... kinda strange situation iirc.
You say ATT service is terrible there ... thats fine, but it is Not terrible everywhere ... it varies, just like every other product.

Please and thank you.
I don't know a lot about DirecTv, but I saw this pop up today.

I emailed with Solid Signal about it ...
They want $199. for each box AND he said $150 activation ....
I said, all I'm doing is swapping one box for another HR24 for an HR24 ...
He also said that there would be a 24 month upgrade commitment .....

I told him he's nuts, I'm not upgrading anything ... he said that what the computer will see.

I was pissed by the time I ended the conversations
$199 has always been the "PRICE" new -old- however and 2 yrs commit should be no problem --if you have been with them 20 +years --I have 2 HR22's still hanging on --LOL --I have added an External SSD to one of them

$199 has always been the "PRICE" new -old- however and 2 yrs commit should be no problem --if you have been with them 20 +years --I have 2 HR22's still hanging on --LOL --I have added an External SSD to one of them
No need for me for an external hard drive, only 1 of the 2 get used much.
Neither record all that much.

I may have to actually get ahold of Retention or Loyalty group (as they call it now, or at least Did) and see what they can do.

Reactions: vazhog

jhetfield99,​

My old HR20 unit literally won't even turn on anymore. No lights no nothing, you can kind of hear the fan clicking to prove it's plugged in and that's it.

It was doomsday for months. After a normal reboot it'd die and go to a DOS-like looking screen of (I think) orange font. It would say it was at 1% and usually suddenly work again like 25 mins later. Some days I would have to do multiple resets. This started like 1 year ago, I should have tried harder than to find a replacement but I didn't want to admit defeat since I had many classic NFL and CFB games on there I wanted to keep. No those are all gone anyway.

You can't buy boxes from anyone, they are all leases. It's HIGHLY unlikely you will find an HR20 anywhere, at least one that still works. Try calling the loyalty department, they may be able to get you an HR24 to replace your HR20. Call and say cancel at the prompt, that should get you to the loyalty department.

I've tried 3 diff calls to loyalty dept in last 2 months. Without me asking they keep reducing the bill but repeatedly said they can do nothing about replacing my equipment with other HD-DVRs. I found an old timer there from the early Direct days and she said AT&T doesn't even give them a way they can backdoor equipment to us, all they can do is forward me to tech who then calims they must come and replace my whole system, rather than just replace the 1 unit I want replaced.

Have you tried doing a CLEARMYBOX command in smart search? I’m pretty sure the problem is ever since AT&T made a deal with tpg, Most legacy receivers have started to slow down like my h24

I'm not familiar with this but could try this on one of my still working, but becoming a bit squirrely HR24's.

Does CLEARMYBOX act as a factory reset to the unit?

Which number or area did you finally get a rep to cave?

Was it Customer Loyalty and I simply haven't yet scored one that can get me a new HR24 to replace my HR20?

I'm not familiar with this but could try this on one of my still working, but becoming a bit squirrely HR24's.

Does CLEARMYBOX act as a factory reset to the unit?
No. The factory reset option is there. Menu > Settings > Reset > Reset Everything (It will even format the hard drive so be prepared for a wait and yes you will lose all recordings).

Do you absolutely "need" a DVR?

Ever since I got my ROKU last Christmas I've been finding myself barely using the DVR because 99% of what I would record with it is available on demand with my DirecTV log in though my ROKU.

If not maybe try to get a H24.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)