HD DVR differences: H20, H21, H22, H23,...?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ChiefIlliniwek

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Western Illinois
Longtime Dish Network customer who is leaving the Cheap Charlie Empire in early April because DN "won't" or "can't" or just refuses to ante up for the MLB Network.

I currently have a VIP622 with two-room hook-up and love the equipment. But no MLBN...no more Dish Network for this long-term Gold subscriber, even if E* have (according to sources I've seen) better HD DVR's.

Looking around this forum (DirecTV) a bit, I can't seem to find any easy, concise info about the differences, options, or "bugs" regarding the DirecTV HD DVR's.

When I switch from E* to D*, which DVR model should I request...or demand?

If I am sent an early HD DVR, like a H20 or refurbed DVR, would there potentially be any issue or hassle with D* in getting them to upgrade to the newer/newest model even before I allow them to install?

FYI, I will probably order DirecTV through their website linked from Holiday Inn, since they give new D* customers thousands of Priority Club points (15,000 I think) if you sign up there.

Thanks for any advice or assistance!

Its very confusing. I have yet to understand why some customers are more "privaledged" than others and get models with SWM or larger hard drives. BTW each one of those models has another variation on it for HD size I believe.

And don't think that a newer model is necessarily "better". The HR21 is later than the HR20 but he HR20 is a speed demon compared to the HR21 "slug". The HR20 also has OTA tuners and the 21 does not. You have to buy a seperate tuner the AM21 for the HR21.

Looking around this forum (DirecTV) a bit, I can't seem to find any easy, concise info about the differences, options, or "bugs" regarding the DirecTV HD DVR's.

Here's the differences in a nutshell:

Code:
Model  Manufacturer   HDD(GB)   OTA   Color  BBC   
HR20                   
       -700           300       Yes   S      Yes 
       -100           300/320   Yes   B/S    Yes 
HR21                   
       -700           300/320   No    B      Yes 
       -200           300/320   No    B      Yes 
       -200Pro        500       No    B      Yes 
       -100           300/320   No    B      Yes 
HR22       
       -100           500       No    B      Yes 
HR23       
       -700           500       No    B      No 

Notes: 
1.  BBC-Broad Band Converter are required in non-SWM configurations 
    with the exception of the HR23 which has Broad Band tuners. 
2.  Colors: B-Black, S-Silver 
3.  Manufacturers: 
     -100 RCA/Thompson 
     -200 Samsung 
     -300 Philips 
     -600 LG 
     -700 PACE Electronics 
4.  The HR21/HR22/HR23 require the AM21 to receive OTA.

When I switch from E* to D*, which DVR model should I request...or demand?

Well you can "request" or "demand" all you want - but you're going to get whatever is available at the time they fullfill your order. Personally, I'd just as soon have the HR20, because I DO use the OTA input & would rather have it all integrated in the box, instead of needing another add-on. Otherwise, you'd probably want the HR22 or 23, just because of the largest hard drives in them.

And don't think that a newer model is necessarily "better". The HR21 is later than the HR20 but he HR20 is a speed demon compared to the HR21 "slug". The HR20 also has OTA tuners and the 21 does not. You have to buy a seperate tuner the AM21 for the HR21.

i disagree with you here. i had an HR20 and found it slower than the HR21.

Is that why I do not have any of the problems that some of the posters on here complain about (most of the complaints are by Dish subs whom never used the equipment :p)?

HR22's

Here's the differences in a nutshell:

Code:
Model  Manufacturer   HDD(GB)   OTA   Color  BBC   
HR20                   
       -700           300       Yes   S      Yes 
       -100           300/320   Yes   B/S    Yes 
HR21                   
       -700           300/320   No    B      Yes 
       -200           300/320   No    B      Yes 
       -200Pro        500       No    B      Yes 
       -100           300/320   No    B      Yes 
HR22       
       -100           500       No    B      Yes 
HR23       
       -700           500       No    B      No 

Notes: 
1.  BBC-Broad Band Converter are required in non-SWM configurations 
    with the exception of the HR23 which has Broad Band tuners. 
2.  Colors: B-Black, S-Silver 
3.  Manufacturers: 
     -100 RCA/Thompson 
     -200 Samsung 
     -300 Philips 
     -600 LG 
     -700 PACE Electronics 
4.  The HR21/HR22/HR23 require the AM21 to receive OTA.
Well you can "request" or "demand" all you want - but you're going to get whatever is available at the time they fullfill your order. Personally, I'd just as soon have the HR20, because I DO use the OTA input & would rather have it all integrated in the box, instead of needing another add-on. Otherwise, you'd probably want the HR22 or 23, just because of the largest hard drives in them.

I am on my 3rd HR22. There is an "NC" after the HR22. What does that mean?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts