HD DVR receiver to replace standard receiver..do I need 2 cables?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sherrlon

Original poster
Feb 13, 2009
Atlanta Area
I have asked Direct this question and I could not really get a straight answer. I ordered a HD DVR (HR 24). I have a standard receiver it will replace. I was told I do not have the SWM system and I believe they are right. On my other HD DVR I have a SWM ODU ONLY black box that the line from the sat runs to then a single line runs from there to the DVR. All this is in the bedroom and plugs to the wall. It says its a power inserter. I asked the tech on the phone if I need to get one of these SWM ODU ONLY things to run to the new DVR so I can record 2 shows at once? I don't know anything about what the SWM ODU is, I assumed it was a type of multi switch?
He said he didn't know. So I then asked him if I could just run another coaxial cable from the 4 way adaptor into the new HR24. He said I could do that. But then he tells me that newer DVR tuners don't need 2 lines in...?? Does anyone know for sure if the HR24 needs 2 lines in to record 2 shows? Do I need to buy a SWM ODU only

Can anyone give me a solid answer? My cable from my dish goes to a SWS4WB-P 4 way adapter. Only 2 of the ports are in use. One for the DVR in the bedroom and one for the standard receiver in the living room.

Sorry this is long and confusing!

You do have an SWM set up. Your new HR DVR only needs one line connected from the 4-way splitter.
The DVR will be able to use both tuners, just as your existing DVR does with one line.

Since you already have SWM, ALL you have to do is swap the standard receiver w/the new HR24 - all you have to do make SURE you connect the coax from the splitter to the SAT1 (SWM) input on the back of the new receiver, & you'll be good to go; simple as that...

Thanks y'all! I thought I had SWM but they ASSURED me repeatedly I didn't and even had me go out and look at my dish to confirm I didn't. This makes my life that much easier.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts