HD RF Modulator for a Hopper and a Joey????

Are you saying that the format button (#, I think on your Dish remote) has no effect on the display? You would have to use the TV2 remote to change that output.

Not saying that. The button does work but it stretches the picture so much that part of the screen is missing. I don't make any changes when watching a HD channel via TV1 on one on the many TVs.
I had a 722 and I know what of I speak. The TV2 output is SD only and furthermore (in dual mode) restricts the setup so that you cannot, without zooming your TV, show the proper aspect ratio on a widescreen TV. When you do zoom an SD picture with bars, it looks like ca-ca even if the aspect ratio is correct and there are no black bars visible. What Dish never implemented is a TV2 output mode that was formerly called anamorphic widescreen such as that done for widescreen DVDs. The TV2 output can actually do that, but only if you put the 722 in solo mode.

Thank you so much for clarifying, I didn't want to send JOEGR pics of the TV2 screens.

Reactions: TheKrell
I had a 722 and I know what of I speak. The TV2 output is SD only and furthermore (in dual mode) restricts the setup so that you cannot, without zooming your TV, show the proper aspect ratio on a widescreen TV. ...

I guess that I never used TV2 (output for the kids) enough to realize that, or that I have forgotten it.

Anyway, I think that the short of it is that while not ideal, they shouldn't be any worse off with an H3/Joey/modulator setup than they are now.

Reactions: TheKrell
For some reason, out of the box, TV2 is normally set to Letterbox, but either way, the receivers aren't able to pass HD imaging via coax

HipKat, before I call Dish to schedule an appointment for the Hopper 3 and one Joey, would you PLEASE confirm with your new setup that the TVs that are connected with the Modulator and coax, that the picture is not Letterbox? I would hate to have Dish come out, make the changes, I purchase a couple of Modulators and then need Dish to come back with my ViP722K because I'm not happy.
Thanks.

HipKat, before I call Dish to schedule an appointment for the Hopper 3 and one Joey, would you PLEASE confirm with your new setup that the TVs that are connected with the Modulator and coax, that the picture is not Letterbox? I would hate to have Dish come out, make the changes, I purchase a couple of Modulators and then need Dish to come back with my ViP722K because I'm not happy.
Thanks.

The output on the yellow video line is definitely letterboxed. To get around this I added a component to composite converter in front of the modulator so the HD component output is converted to composite then it's modulated. This gets me full screen on the modulated channel.

Amazon product ASIN B00T0UYLGK

The output on the yellow video line is definitely letterboxed. To get around this I added a component to composite converter in front of the modulator so the HD component output is converted to composite then it's modulated. This gets me full screen on the modulated channel.

JSheridan, thank you for this solution but would it be possible for you to post a picture so I can see exactly what you did? I'd like to get all the necessary parts purchased to have when the tech comes out with the new disn, Hopper and Joey.
And what RF Modulator did you purchase?
Thanks.

Reactions: SandFarmer
Thanks.
It's totally letterboxed. I set the HD Channels to normal, which does clip the edges a bit, but that's how the customer wanted them.

Just remember this, if you find a dime, it's a dime and a dime is the best it can be. No matter how hard you may want and wish for it to be more than a dime, it can't ever be a quarter

JSheridan, thank you for this solution but would it be possible for you to post a picture so I can see exactly what you did? I'd like to get all the necessary parts purchased to have when the tech comes out with the new disn, Hopper and Joey.
And what RF Modulator did you purchase?
Thanks.

I have Channel Vision and Channel Plus modulators which I don't believe are even available anymore. My system is much more elaborate than what you need so a picture won't help, in fact it would just confuse the issue. We have a total of 3 Hoppers, 2 Genies, Surveillance, a 4DTV Big Dish, FTA and OTA mixed together on a wire feeding a lot of TV's.

charlesrshell has a modulated system which would be more like what you want. Maybe he'll chime in with recommendations.

Also, I don't know whether the 'tech' they send to you is going to know what to do or how to do it or even be interested in doing it at all. It's not part of a usual 'standard' installation. You should contact a local DISH retailer if you have a good one. We do things like this as a courtesy for our customers but most DISH company techs probably wouldn't. HipKat is an exception. :)

We were using a ViP 722k at our vacation home, TV1 was connected to the HD set in the great room, and TV2 back-fed into the OTA coax to the rest of the bedrooms' TV outlets. It turns out the extra cost of the DVR Feature plus TV2 out was more than replacing the 722 with a pair of ViP 211 receivers, each with their own EHD (single $7 2nd receiver fee). The plus on that was the master bedroom now has full HD instead of the letterboxed output from the 722's TV2.

I had a pair of 211s just sitting around from my previous home install, this was a no-brainer for me. I suppose today the better solution would be a couple of Wally receivers with EHD feeding the ATSC encoders, but I don't have experience with the Wally.

I have Channel Vision and Channel Plus modulators which I don't believe are even available anymore. My system is much more elaborate than what you need so a picture won't help, in fact it would just confuse the issue. We have a total of 3 Hoppers, 2 Genies, Surveillance, a 4DTV Big Dish, FTA and OTA mixed together on a wire feeding a lot of TV's.

charlesrshell has a modulated system which would be more like what you want. Maybe he'll chime in with recommendations.

Also, I don't know whether the 'tech' they send to you is going to know what to do or how to do it or even be interested in doing it at all. It's not part of a usual 'standard' installation. You should contact a local DISH retailer if you have a good one. We do things like this as a courtesy for our customers but most DISH company techs probably wouldn't. HipKat is an exception. :)

Thanks for the reply and suggestion to check out charlesrshell's setup. After all this and hearing from HipKat that letterbox will be what I get, I'll probably end up staying with my ViP722K.

Reactions: HipKat
Thanks for the reply and suggestion to check out charlesrshell's setup. After all this and hearing from HipKat that letterbox will be what I get, I'll probably end up staying with my ViP722K.

The 722K's are getting very old and probably won't be around for much longer so sooner or later you'll probably have to make the change. Good luck.

I have one each RF Modulator connected to both my Hopper 3s. One of my H3s has a component to composite converter installed prior to the RF modulator so I can get wide screen at the distant TVs. On one of my Hopper 3 modulators channel 20 is set for the distance TVs and the other H3 modulator is set on channel 25. So the distance TVs in my home distribution system has a choice of which Hopper to view. Here is a wiring diagram of my system.

Holland HMM-10H Multimedia Demodulator (HMM10H) from Solid Signal

Monoprice Component (YpbPr) to Composite Converter (Open Box) - Monoprice.com

Attachments

• Hopper 3 Diagram MoCA.jpg
    Hopper 3 Diagram MoCA.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 225
I have one each RF Modulator connected to both my Hopper 3s. One of my H3s has a component to composite converter installed prior to the RF modulator so I can get wide screen at the distant TVs. On one of my Hopper 3 modulators channel 20 is set for the distance TVs and the other H3 modulator is set on channel 25. So the distance TVs in my home distribution system has a choice of which Hopper to view. Here is a wiring diagram of my system.

Holland HMM-10H Multimedia Demodulator (HMM10H) from Solid Signal

Monoprice Component (YpbPr) to Composite Converter (Open Box) - Monoprice.com

I recently had a component to composite converter fail so I replaced it with one from Amazon that I posted a link of in a previous post. Just FYI, the new converter seems to have a clearer picture. :)

:)

I concede, you win!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts