hd tv tuner

R0ss

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 14, 2009
Ayer, Ma
It appears that the atsc tunner in one of my flat screens is dead. Not sure why or what happened as i just recently put up an ota antenna. One day everything was good then nothing then it was back and the n nothing. Changed cables etc then hooked it up to 722 and voila OTA.
I figure a standalone atsc tuner will be cheaper than a service call any suggestions?
By the way the ntsc tuner works fine.

Ross

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROID RAZR Maxx using SatelliteGuys

The trouble is in finding a standalone ATSC HD tuner. They are kind of rare. You can use a DTV or DISH box if you subscribe. A TIVO unit has one, but also requires a subscription. The Channelmaster DVR has an ATSC tuner as well. Radio Shack sold one several years ago, but it has been discontinued for some time. Magnavox has a DVR/DVD Recorder with a built in ATSC tuner that Amazon sells refurb. Any of these solutions will cost a couple hundred dollars.

Last edited:
After i posted i took a quick look on craigs list. I just missed a used tivo wofe lifetime subscription. Guess i will just keep my eyes open.
I do subscribe to dish and thats how i have it hooked up now and how i determined the atsc tuner in thw tv is dead

Ross

Unless your flat screen is under warranty just use it as a monitor for the DISH receiver. Prices on new flat screens have dropped to the point that repairs may be just a waste of money.

boba said:
Unless your flat screen is under warranty just use it as a monitor for the DISH receiver. Prices on new flat screens have dropped to the point that repairs may be just a waste of money.

I agree

Ross

Remebered I bought a VOOM stb a few years back. It was one that "should" work for OTA. Never tried it out at the time. So I pulled it out did an inet search to be sure I had basic instructions hooked it up and much to my disappointment no out put at all, just a blank screen. I'm using component out just to test as I don't have a dvi to HDMI, is output automatically selected?
I' figure it was doa and that is my own fault but if It worked it would solve my problem.

Ross

R0ss said:
Remebered I bought a VOOM stb a few years back. It was one that "should" work for OTA. Never tried it out at the time. So I pulled it out did an inet search to be sure I had basic instructions hooked it up and much to my disappointment no out put at all, just a blank screen. I'm using component out just to test as I don't have a dvi to HDMI, is output automatically selected?
I' figure it was doa and that is my own fault but if It worked it would solve my problem.

Ross

So I tried again...the ota module wasn't in tight. Unit fires up I can scan for channels but once I'm done it goes to a screen tbat says voom not authorized. So far everything I can find indicates if you can get to the instalation menu and scan for channels you are good to go. Anyone have a clue?

Ross

I recall that the Voom boxes were quirky in their OTA reception. Samsung made several different HD tuners. I've used 3 different models from them and one from LG. My current favorite is the DTB-H260F from Samsung. I saw one on eBay for about $120.

The older SIR-T451 was a good unit too. They appear to be less expensive on eBay.

rdehaven said:
I recall that the Voom boxes were quirky in their OTA reception. Samsung made several different HD tuners. I've used 3 different models from them and one from LG. My current favorite is the DTB-H260F from Samsung. I saw one on eBay for about $120.

The older SIR-T451 was a good unit too. They appear to be less expensive on eBay.

Thanks

Ross

R0ss said:
So I tried again...the ota module wasn't in tight. Unit fires up I can scan for channels but once I'm done it goes to a screen tbat says voom not authorized. So far everything I can find indicates if you can get to the instalation menu and scan for channels you are good to go. Anyone have a clue?

Ross

So I read through just about all the posts on the VOOM stb on the archives and it seems that even though I can access the instalation wizard, scan for and save to memory my local OTA channels it would appear that the fact that once that is done and i press watch the screen then says VOOM not authorized. Guess I bought a door stop. Again my own fault for trusting the seller....
I was under the impression that I wouldn't even be able to scan OTA if the box wasn't authorized oh well...

Ross

I have the Samsung DTB-H260F, which is great. Also have the Zenith HDV420, which is in the attic, but is also a great box. Both are obsolete now, tho. I think the performance is miles better on the Samsung tho, plus it has a guide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)