HD upgrade???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

brick71

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 26, 2005
I just came back to D* after a short 3 month stint with cable. I want to upgrade to the HD package. However, my neighbor has a rather large tree (approx 70' tall) keeping me from tuning in the 110 and 119 sats. The installer at the time told me if I raise the height of the dish about 6' it would clear the tree. Here is exactly what I'm dealing with:
Tree to the SW 70' tall, dish is located 40 feet from tree on my roof. Located on roof ridge, standard mount, 17-18 feet high.
I did some research and there are roof mount tripods available for the slimline dish. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

My zip code: 61554

Tree to the SW 70' tall, dish is located 40 feet from tree on my roof. Located on roof ridge, standard mount, 17-18 feet high.
A tripod isn't going to help you unless you park it under the tree. To clear the tree at 40' away horizontally, the dish will need to be about 45' in the air (assuming that the tree isn't growing).

Let's assume that your elevation for 119W needs to be about 32 degrees:

40' * TAN(32deg) = 25'

You need to make up the other 45' with elevation.

can you back away from from the tree by mounting dish on a post in your yard?

I can but want to avoid it if possible. I was told by the installer that came out that if I raise the dish 6' in its current location it would clear the tree.

I can but want to avoid it if possible. I was told by the installer that came out that if I raise the dish 6' in its current location it would clear the tree.
Based on the numbers that you've given us, this is not possible. Perhaps the tree isn't as tall or is further away than you have offered.

Putting a taller mast on the behemoth dish is a recipe for roof destruction.

Status
Please reply by conversation.