HDD200 Worth It???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dishman Dan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
N/A
Do the HDD200 units make a great improvement on the picture??? We are getting super picture quality on our DSR922 and I have a HDD200 sitting around in the closet. My home theater area looks like a closing Circuit City store with all the wires dangling and my SPF (Spouse 'Pproval Factor) rating is in the negatives!!! :D I am cutting back on the spaghetti behind my cabinet but I do not think that my wife wants another gizmo on the cabinet temporary or permanent. I have a HD TV but I am not subscribed to any HD satellite channels so is the HDD200 really needed or will it make much of a difference at all??? :confused:

There was someone saying one time on a forum that the hdd200 would double the lines on SD channels to scale it to an HD tv. Never seen it in action however

There was someone saying one time on a forum that the hdd200 would double the lines on SD channels to scale it to an HD tv. Never seen it in action however

The HDD200 has a line doubler in it from what I heard. I don't own one so can't comment on performance. Worth a shot though if you can figure out how to use it.

I heard mixed input on the HDD200 as a line doubler but I should try it out someday. My 922 is hooked up with cheap composite wires and is giving great results. I have never used a S-video cable on anything that I own or owned however the 922's best video output is the S-video so maybe I could see what that does. If I hook up the HDD200 that would give component hookup capability which I might not need for more(?) quality or clutter reasons. Even through my channel modulator the picture is great! Maybe I should just leave things alone and enjoy. I never had as great quality when I did pizzas many years ago!!!...:D

I heard mixed input on the HDD200 as a line doubler but I should try it out someday. My 922 is hooked up with cheap composite wires and is giving great results. I have never used a S-video cable on anything that I own or owned however the 922's best video output is the S-video so maybe I could see what that does. If I hook up the HDD200 that would give component hookup capability which I might not need for more(?) quality or clutter reasons. Even through my channel modulator the picture is great! Maybe I should just leave things alone and enjoy. I never had as great quality when I did pizzas many years ago!!!...:D

I run S video on my 922 it works great. I always use the best outputs I have and have a connection for. The only quality Pizza has is at the pizza joint down the street when I order cheese and sausage on it :)

Well I have had 1 hook up for years now, an use to have S video an the ypbr both hook up to the TV, but now only use the ypbr out put of the HD200. now picture quality seemed a bit better going threw the HD200 on regular channel (like G-1 CH 100) but when you went to a HD channel (like G-9 CH 118) wow what a difference, an not only that but the PBS HDs up on T-4 look great too.

Now "is it worth it" well this is going to be up to you an what you are willing to pay for just a hand full of c-band HD digi-chipper channels. because their is not that maney channels in HD that you can sub for any more or receive ITC, but on another note with a HD200 you can pick up some of the free HD stuff that is a non sub by using some of you're sattelites in ( like CA & CB an so on) that are running in the FP mode, I find this from time to time.

an if you have a DSR 920 receiver these do not work near as well as the 922 with a HD-200, with a 920 you will not be able to pull the guide up when you are on a HD shannel (SD no problem), you need to channel down to a SD channel then the HD-200 will unlock an then you will ble to view the guide. now with a 922 you are on a HD channel (like G-9 118) an hit the guide button, the 922 drops the HD lock an guide is diplayed, lot nicer by far with the 922 over the 920.

also on some of the HD-200 had a Starz HD problem where they would not lock on their signal, but every thing else up their work just fine, an this is fixed by a trip to Brownsville TX, for a soft-ware up grade. an on the 1st models of the HD-200 their was no way to view a SD or analog picture with out the picture being in letter box format, latter versions yes you can change it, (power button & little button on face of receiver pressed at same time), also fixed by soft-ware up grade. so these are things you need to check out from who every is sell 1.

but all in all I like mine here, "is it woth it" that is going to up to you Dan, hope it all helps for you to make you're mind up.

what ?

We are getting super picture quality on our DSR922
I have a HD TV but I am not subscribed to any HD satellite channels
My 922 is hooked up with cheap composite wires and is giving great results.
I have never used a S-video cable on anything ...
If I hook up the HDD200 that would give component hookup capability which I might not need for more(?) quality or clutter reasons.
Even through my channel modulator the picture is great!
Maybe I should just leave things alone and enjoy.
After reading the above, I wanted to pull my hair out! :eek:

Picture quality is certainly subjective.
And it's based on having good source material to begin with, as well as a delivery system.
That includes wiring, a proper TV, and a suitable viewing position.

If composite doesn't beat a modulator, there's something wrong.
If S-video doesn't beat composite, there's something wrong.
If component doesn't beat S-video, there's something wrong.
If HDMI doesn't beat component, you're up the creek! - :cool:

As opposed to some folks who can't get a decent Standard Definition picture on their HD TV sets, maybe you can.
Mine is certainly fine.
The TV itself is line-multiplying as it maps that composite picture onto its 768 or 1080 available scan lines.
Some do much better than others.
I have an up-converting DVD player that puts out a georgeous picture, and it's a little better on the HDMI port than the component cables.

So, the question of whether you will -see- a better picture is hard to answer, as there are so many variables.
But to expect a better picture and not do everything in your power to allow that better picture, is criminal.
And that certainly means you need to use the highest quality connections your hardware has.
If you don't immediately see a better picture on one channel, maybe that channel isn't providing a better picture.

And of course if you subscribed to HD, that might help, too. :rolleyes:

How would you characterize your Off The Air HD pictures on that set?
... compared to your best satellite reception.

PS: "clutter" or extra wiring to accomplish the goal, is no crime!

Never pass SD to the HDD 200 and out, looks like crap, the HDD 200 has the worse line doubler on the planet, do SD direct from the 4dtv s video and HD only from the HDD 200 for best results.

Anole Don't Pull your Hair Out!!!

I have super great picture and sound but I was not sure if the HDD200 will better it and add more clutter to my "spouse friendly" system. I am not running $3000 worth of Monster cable and do not have the best hookup choices used yet like the S-video on the 922. I did buy a Monster HDMI cable for my Sony 400 disc megachanger and it did not make a night and day difference. The old hookup was with component video and was very high in quality too! OTA broadcasts are very sharp but I do get disgusted with each digital channel having different formats and the "stretch" factor on a couple when I fit it to full screen. The satellite signals look the best but I have no intentions of subscribing to HD anytime soon. Friends that come over think that the 922 is putting out HD signals!!!:)

Nope, Monster brand cables are snake oil.
Overpriced snake oil.
I was only suggesting ya use the highest bandwidth connection type possible.

Check out Monoprice for more reasonable prices.
I only shopped there once, and picked up my cables (they are a warehouse).
Service and speed was as good as their prices! :cool:

Or, if you're only going to put one toe in the water, SatelliteAV has S-video cables dirt cheap.

I agree! But for what I am running the results are impressive!!!

I do not see how a cable with a brand name and a whole lot of materials the Chinese put in there and we have no idea what it is, can make such a difference. :confused: There has to be a point of no return! I do splurge a little more on the video cables than the audio. I am going to look for some "neater" cable runs now that I know what I need. :up My other half says that I can have all of the toys I want BUT it has to look neat - even BEHIND the cabinet! :D Maybe later I can sneek in even more components if it looks good - OR maybe I can hide the sat equipment in the basement and use a extra long component cable to the main TV! :rolleyes: I hope that she does not look at my current setup in the basement! :eek: I will check out your suggestions for cable. Thanks. :)

I feed my 4DTV receiver to a video processor (DVDO VP50) via s-video that makes the HDD-200 look like crapola, what a gorgeous picture it is when you feed it thru quality equiptment.

I feed my 4DTV receiver to a video processor (DVDO VP50) via s-video that makes the HDD-200 look like crapola, what a gorgeous picture it is when you feed it thru quality equiptment.

Is that this pro model?
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XLOSKO/ref=asc_df_B000XLOSKO725037?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=nextag-ce-tier3-delta-20&linkCode=asn]Amazon.com: DVDO iScan VP50PRO High Definition Video Processor: Electronics[/ame]

What Tv do you have? I fail to see how any product can take a program that isn't broadcast in HD and make it HD. Perhaps you're just saying it makes it look better but, reading that on amazon it seems to try to make you believe it can make it 1080p

I have the VP50 ( The pro was not out when I purchased mine). What it cannot do is put data in where it is missing (bit rate starved signals like Dish Network and Direct TV and some bad recoded transmissions on 4dtv), what it can do is deinterlace signals so they look much better, especially when a TV has a less then stellar scaler built into it.

What it also can do is convert a signal to a custom resolution if a TV needs it to make it dot by dot perfect (much sharper image). I have 4 different displays that I feed my signals to with each having a custom resolution so that it is the native resolution for that TV. (Only one custom resolution can be done at a time, so this is definitely a limitation.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)