HDMI black level settings?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

willywonkaisrsh

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
North Carolina
I have a Samsung LCD TV and under my input settings on the TV is an option to change HDMI black level from normal to low. I used to have Mediacom before I got Direct and when I had their HD receiver was able to change this setting to low and get a much better picture. However, with my HR-22 this setting is grayed out. Anyone have any thoughts?​

If you have your box hooked up via component it will be greyed out. Using HDMI cable it will be enabled.

If you have your box hooked up via component it will be greyed out. Using HDMI cable it will be enabled.

I respectfully disagree. I have my box hooked up via HDMI and it is not enabled for me either. It states in the manual that this function is not compatible with all external devices. I guess the HD-DVR from D* is one of those devices. It is enabled with my PS3 and HD-DVD player however.

Everything I have hooked up to the TV is through HDMI, including the HR-22. My DVD player, PC, and as stated before my old Mediacom box all have the setting enabled.

I would not worry about it. Low and greyed out are the same. I had my Sammy professionally calibrated and have used both (greyed out and low). There is no difference. Now there is a big difference between normal and greyed out but normal should never be used when calibrating.

I would not worry about it. Low and greyed out are the same. I had my Sammy professionally calibrated and have used both (greyed out and low). There is no difference. Now there is a big difference between normal and greyed out but normal should never be used when calibrating.

So if it's greyed out then it's considered to be on low? Why do some component's grey out the setting while others let you choose normal?

So if it's greyed out then it's considered to be on low? Why do some component's grey out the setting while others let you choose normal?

Yes low is the same as greyed out. The second part I have no idea. When I first had mine setup I had it hooked up straight to my Dish HDMI set to low. Then I had it hooked up to Direct dvr passing through Sony sound sytem via component with it greyed out. The calibrated settings were the same with it greyed out or set to low.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts