--HDMI Question--

rasecane1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
Does anyone out there know if a splitter is available for HDMI connections? I dont want to have to go change the cable every time I want to switch from VOOM to my new 1080 upconverting DVD Player.

Thanks in advance!

DVI (and HDMI too) is a bi-directional interface, that includes hand-shaking, etc. I doubt that a splitter would work.
You might be able to find a remote-controlled A/B switch though.
Just enter "HDMI switch" in the "Google Search" box at the bottom of this page ;)

It sounds to me like you want a switch, not a splitter. However, you are in luck as both devices exist. Check out the HDTV products by Gefen.

--Dan

Another option is to just hook up your Voom STB using component video cables, and use the HDMI receptacle for your DVD player. I just got Voom installed the other day so I'm not sure if there's a difference in quality between DVI and component video, although I think I read one post in here that said component video was a bit softer. But I don't think that you're going to see a $249 difference in pic quality between DVI and component thorugh the Voom STB that it's going to cost you for that HDMI switch. However, I'm not a perfectionist either.

I did try connecting a DVI to HDMI cable that came yesterday by Fedex, which I had ordered from pacificcable.com, but the signal was unwatchable on my Hitachi 57F510...lots of snow. So I just went back to using component for now. Anyone else try an AVI to HDMI cable for connecting the Voom STB to your TV? It should work, but I was wondering if anybody else had any problems using that kind of connection before I get in touch with Pacific Cable for a return.

SalMaglie said:
I did try connecting a DVI to HDMI cable that came yesterday by Fedex, which I had ordered from pacificcable.com, but the signal was unwatchable on my Hitachi 57F510...lots of snow.

That is wierd. I have read that if you try to watch HDCP encoded video on a non-hdcp monitor, you can get lots of snow. I assume your set is HDCP compliant, but I thought I would mention that. It really surprises me that you get snowy video, as I would think you get all or nothing with a digital interface like that. Please post again when you get the problem figured out, I want to know what it was.

--Dan

dankgus said:
I would think you get all or nothing with a digital interface like that.
That's not the case with DVI! DVI protocol has no error correction! So, bad or long cable may indeed cause visible noise, from what I've heard. Haven't seen it myself, though.

Voom looks better via component, there is too much noise that becomes exposed via DVI, save your money.

HDMI all the way for me

My VOOM was originally installed with component and I was very discouraged when I was the picture quality. I quickly switched to HDMI and the picture was, and still is gorgeous. As if I'm watching through a window. I have heard that with older model HDTV's the component cables are better. I have a new model panasonic PT53X54 53" Rear Projection TV and HDMI is clearly far superior.

On a side note, a friend told me that they are soon coming out with 1080p!
Anyone know anything or have any details??

My Mits don't have DVI... I want Firewire...
But, back to the question. I don't know, but I would like a good component switcher as my Mits has only one digital component input and also it won't handle 720p, has to be converted at digital source. I've seen them on the net, but none have appealed to my taste yet. It would be nice if Voom had Firewire... My Mits would love that...

rasecane1 said:
I have heard that with older model HDTV's the component cables are better.
I'm watching on a brand new projector at 110" with DVI & Component and though DVI is clearer & sharper, it shows all of Voom's flaws. With a 53" TV, I seriously doubt you will see these flaws.

dankgus said:
That is wierd. I have read that if you try to watch HDCP encoded video on a non-hdcp monitor, you can get lots of snow. I assume your set is HDCP compliant, but I thought I would mention that. It really surprises me that you get snowy video, as I would think you get all or nothing with a digital interface like that. Please post again when you get the problem figured out, I want to know what it was.

--Dan

My Hitachi 57F510 is HDCP compliant according to their literature.

"HDMI inputs are compatible with DVIHDTV(
HDCP) signals when combined with an
adapter cable. Adapter cable is not included.
HDTV Monitors require an optional HDTV
tuner to view HDTV programs. Check with
your content provider for HDTV program
and tuner availability. The DVI-HDTV input
will accept digital cable and satellite HDTV
signals."

Without another DVI device, it's tough for me to figure out if it's the cable or not. I think my next attempt might be to return the cable I have for a DVI-HDMI adapter and then use the DVI cable that the installer left with me. I'd like to hear what exactly rasecane1's setup is as far as his cable goes. Is it the same thing I tried to use, or did he go with an adapter connected to the Voom supplied cable?

I'm not using a Monster cable but it is an DVI to HDMI cable and looks awesome compared to component. I switched to component the other day because its the same input as my DVD and man, talk about NEON white. The colors seemed to glow LOL. Yea I know I would need to adjust contrast and brightness but then I end up with dark and no so clear pictures. Don't think I'll ever go back to component.

I switched back to component just to compare one last time and as I've already stated, HDMI is far superior to component. No comparison here !

SalMaglie said:
Another option is to just hook up your Voom STB using component video cables, and use the HDMI receptacle for your DVD player. I just got Voom installed the other day so I'm not sure if there's a difference in quality between DVI and component video, although I think I read one post in here that said component video was a bit softer. But I don't think that you're going to see a $249 difference in pic quality between DVI and component thorugh the Voom STB that it's going to cost you for that HDMI switch. However, I'm not a perfectionist either.

I did try connecting a DVI to HDMI cable that came yesterday by Fedex, which I had ordered from pacificcable.com, but the signal was unwatchable on my Hitachi 57F510...lots of snow. So I just went back to using component for now. Anyone else try an AVI to HDMI cable for connecting the Voom STB to your TV? It should work, but I was wondering if anybody else had any problems using that kind of connection before I get in touch with Pacific Cable for a return.
I have an 57F510 and I am using a DVI to HDMI converter. I got mine through bettercables.com. WORKS GREAT. I had used a component before with a 57F500 and there is a difference. The picture with the HDMI is much crisper.. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)