HDTV required for Install?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MiniJay

Original poster
Jun 18, 2008
Hi there,

Planning on making the switch to Direct from E*. Called Directv to setup the installation and the CSR told me that I need to have an HDTV present inorder to do a HD DVR package but was wondering if this is necessary. At the time I don't have an HDTV, but getting one or 2 real soon.

Is a HD-DVR installation different than a SD-DVR installation?

Long story short, -- getting new siding on the house --want new satellite dish installed and all the necessary wiring-- siding company will hide wires.

If i get an SD package now, and then upgrade to HD, will they have to come out and do a dish swap or another installation of some sort? Or is it just a reciever swap?

Jay

get setup for a hr20/hr21 hddvr and the slimline dish, then you can add your hdtv at your liesure and no receiver/dish swap later
:welcome to Satguys :welcome

That's what I thought. I plan on doing 2 HR21'S. Just getting all my ducks in a row with the discounts too, (AAA, referral, new sub, etc)

Are there different dishes? I notice you said slimline. Why so.

Jay

That's what I thought. I plan on doing 2 HR21'S. Just getting all my ducks in a row with the discounts too, (AAA, referral, new sub, etc)

Are there different dishes? I notice you said slimline. Why so.

Jay
thats the newest dish they have i think before that it was at9, slimline is a farmore streamlined version of at9

You don't need a HDTV, however some channels may look odd. Just tell the rep.. "yes'am I have HDTV's" and don't let the tech reschedule on you because you don't have one yet. the install is no different aside from the box and the dish.

Edit: Also if the TV your planning to replace does not have any Composite (red/white/yellow) inputs you may need to get a RF Modulator to connect the HD box to it as the HD boxes do not have a RF output

Don't worry about it. When I upgraded to HD several years ago my new RPTV was not going to be delivered before the install.

Tech had no problems or issues with installing the new gear on the old TV. All I needed to do was hook up an HDMI-DVI cable to the new TV and I was all set.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts