GEOSATpro HDVR3500 - freezes on boot

It would be really hard to do a review on the 3500 because every new firmware/fix seems to break something else and especially with the latest firmware, it's broken in a few different ways.

Right now, you can't even get the latest firmware as a download, download any firmware actually, unless that's very recently changed, and there's that possible issue of maybe not being able to roll back with the latest firmware, so who wants to load it onto the receiver directly with that possibility?. The receiver blanks out the screen and the buttons/remote won't work in certain conditions on the new firmware too, effectively locking the user out unless they're savvy enough to access the box by other means.

To do a review on the 3500 with the latest firmware would really be pointless, with the major issues the latest firmware has. The 3500 needs someone capable of fixing it, working on it. Until that happens, it will have issues, simple as that.

At this point I think the best thing we could do for the forum and prospective purchasers would be a review of the 3500 with its latest firmware.

I would also believe it would be pointless at this time as pointed out above for every new fix there are reported more problems.
I believe the end of the line has come for the 3500 and it should go out quietly now, and not resurrected to the detriment of any unsuspecting, (if there are any left at this time), people.
Everything said is there in one long thread and that should be where it ends, even though it nay be a long read it actually is a good read and you get the raw truth in that thread which should never be diminished.
You see the good the bad and the ugly all there.

With the newer FTA receivers trying to pick up the 4k signals and being more powerful I believe the end of the line had come for the receivers like the 3500. We should be moving forward, not backwards, when it comes to these FTA receivers.

Reactions: . Raine
Glad to hear you got your refund.

If this "Rex" box ever comes back I would hope that he would send you one for free to review and post that review here.

That is one big way he can build faith back in the company and product again going forward. Thanks for sharing your findings.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Reactions: KE4EST and FTA4PA
That is one big way he can build faith back in the company and product again going forward.

I honestly think that ship has sailed and will have a hard row back if ever.

With all the inconsistencies that Eugene had in his statements and the way he treated people, (Customers & Dealer), I would never buy from him again, nor could I trust Satellite AV for anything he says.
I would gladly wait for Brian’s non-compete clause to end and hope he would get back in the business. Him I would trust as his business ethics are far superior.
I have never seen Him throw any of the dealers under the bus and but I seen him go over and beyond what some others did to make sure the customer was taken care of first.

The 3500 has been a fiasco from the get go and the so called “Rex” is dead in the water IMO if it comes from Eugene and I am sure I’m not the only one who feels this way.

The only good thing to come from it was to show anyone going forward what not to do and that to make things work you must beta test things out with several people before it’s general release.

I agree with Stargaze. I myself don't really believe there's a Rex at all.

I'd suggested in the 3500 thread that those with major issues with the 3500 maybe could have it swapped for Rex, upon it's release. That suggestion, was, of course, ignored.

To even breach the subject of Rex in the 3500 thread at that time was insulting to me as a buyer of the 3500, as if SatAv was saying, yeah, you just shelled out $150 and the receiver is wonky, but it's OK, I'll soon be selling another one you can buy that will work called Rex.

I've Beta tested many software products, I still have Betas of games, win95, 98, etc, that I Beta tested, still have many accounts, even though I haven't tested anthing for ages. You couldn't pay me enough to Beta test Rex.

You couldn't pay me enough to Beta test Rex.

I spent the time and read through that long thread. I am glad I came to the plate late and heard what others had to say.
Way too many issues and way too much never being addressed.
Strange how the dealers offered returns and the one bringing it out asking them not to dump his product.
Very strange in my book.
Sadly I think the dealers lost their shirts over the 3500 model by treating their customers proper while the one responsible stood silently saying nothing.
Out of the midst of the chaos going on all of a sudden this so called "Rex" was brought into the mix.
Then there was another issue of the 3500 not being fully released yet over 4000 units were sold.
Never heard of any of the dealers selling that many so what was up with this?

Highly doubt we would touch this unit if it ever came out either.
Sadly there is too much of a dark cloud hanging over it already.

We will wait till someone else brings a receiver to market. Too much of a stench of greed by the one bringing up this so called Rex.

Reactions: . Raine
I myself don't really believe there's a Rex at all.

tumblr_inline_myojwh5cO31r4h8q9_zpseqhbimmw.gif

The E! news forecast agrees! :lalala

Dear Brandon,
0310 is most likely time in a sleep mode. Just press the power button on the front to turn it on.

In case where your receiver for some reason was upgraded to Australian version, most likely the output on HDMI is set to 50Hz.

1. To reset, please open front panel, hold up arrow and Menu key at the same time and while holding these two buttons, turn on the power on the back.

When you see firmware loading, release the buttons. It will "reinstall" and will give you option to set it up.

2. In case the firmware was wrong (i would have to troubleshoot more, call us 888-483-4673) - please download latest firmware and save it to usb drive and repeat step 1.

The latest firmware is http://hdvrbox.com/up/gs/usb_update.bin

Is this still the latest firmware update for the HDVR3500? This thread is dated May 11th, 2016. Also, is there a way to let this receiver update by satellite? If so, which satellite carries the update? The HDVR1200's I have try by locking the tuner, but they never accomplished anything. I know now there are no updates for the HDVR1200 any longer. I checked GeoSat Pro's website for the update, but I saw no update for the HDVR3500.

Do you by any chance have detailed instructions on the proper procedure for updating this receiver? Thanks Loads.

Is this still the latest firmware update for the HDVR3500? This thread is dated May 11th, 2016. Also, is there a way to let this receiver update by satellite? If so, which satellite carries the update? The HDVR1200's I have try by locking the tuner, but they never accomplished anything. I know now there are no updates for the HDVR1200 any longer. I checked GeoSat Pro's website for the update, but I saw no update for the HDVR3500.
Do you by any chance have detailed instructions on the proper procedure for updating this receiver? Thanks Loads.

According to another forum I am a member of, the latest is V1372 from 9/29/16. Also I have retrieved the update instructions and posted them here:

1) Do a factory reset
2) Make sure your receiver is connected to the internet
3) Update to the latest firmware by going to: Menu > Manager > Version > Online Update > Select Firmware, then select latest update, then click OK to update, it will ask you to reboot.
4) Let the receiver reboot

Reactions: SatelliteAV

The firmware link is still the same. as Psikic pointed out, instructions are the same.

HDVR1200 updates are on and working on the Galaxy 19Ku 97W. We have minor channel update coming up, but there are no major firmware changes on HDVR1200 or Manhattan, because the development for those boxes are mostly completed. Let me know if you need additional help, let me know.

The firmware link is still the same. as Psikic pointed out, instructions are the same.

HDVR1200 updates are on and working on the Galaxy 19Ku 97W. We have minor channel update coming up, but there are no major firmware changes on HDVR1200 or Manhattan, because the development for those boxes are mostly completed. Let me know if you need additional help, let me know.

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't have Ku hooked up, so I'll have to do it the hard way :) Thanks, I'll let you know how things go.

Update went off without a hitch. Thanks for the help gang. Appreciate it.

According to another forum I am a member of, the latest is V1372 from 9/29/16. Also I have retrieved the update instructions and posted them here:

1) Do a factory reset
2) Make sure your receiver is connected to the internet
3) Update to the latest firmware by going to: Menu > Manager > Version > Online Update > Select Firmware, then select latest update, then click OK to update, it will ask you to reboot.
4) Let the receiver reboot

Thanks for the help. The update has been done and didn't brick the receiver:)

I'm a little confused. At the beginning of this thread, Psikic was referring to a problem he was having with an HDVR 3500. You addressed the problem by giving this reply about the firmware, "The latest firmware is http://hdvrbox.com/up/gs/usb_update.bin." When you responded to my question about the latest firmware update for the HDVR 3500, you posted this.

"HDVR1200 updates are on and working on the Galaxy 19Ku 97W. We have minor channel update coming up, but there are no major firmware changes on HDVR1200 or Manhattan, because the development for those boxes are mostly completed. Let me know if you need additional help, let me know.

Is the link above for the HDVR 1200 or the HDVR 3500? Did I misunderstand the thread? I used that link to retrieve the firmware update and it installed on the 3500 and I had no problems afterwards. In fact, I'm watching it right now. Is the software I installed actually for the 3500. Sorry for the confusion, but FTA is relatively new to me. All this is a learning experience for me.

I can't imagine the firmware for the 1200 installing and working on a 3500. I have 2 of the HDVR 1200 and was told there are no new updates for them. Is that correct? Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
The reference to the Manhattan in that post confuses me, did SatAv ever release a receiver called Manhattan?

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Stargaze. I myself don't really believe there's a Rex at all.

I'd suggested in the 3500 thread that those with major issues with the 3500 maybe could have it swapped for Rex, upon it's release. That suggestion, was, of course, ignored.

To even breach the subject of Rex in the 3500 thread at that time was insulting to me as a buyer of the 3500, as if SatAv was saying, yeah, you just shelled out $150 and the receiver is wonky, but it's OK, I'll soon be selling another one you can buy that will work called Rex.

I've Beta tested many software products, I still have Betas of games, win95, 98, etc, that I Beta tested, still have many accounts, even though I haven't tested anthing for ages. You couldn't pay me enough to Beta test Rex.

I have 2 of the 3500's and neither of them has worked right. I contacted Eugene several times and never did get a definitive answer to my problems. Both of mine are sitting in the box they came in. After the 1st contact with Eugene, I could never get a return call or email from him. I've had them long enough now a refund is probably out of the question. I have never been able to get the 3500's to fill out the screen on any of my 4 TV's. The 1200 had an aspect setting of 4.3PS that was not migrated to the 3500. The 1200 works just fine filling out the screen.

I could have bought 6 of the Freesat V7 for what I paid for two of the 3500's. I bought these because they stopped updating the 1200's, but at least they are still working. I'm not a bit satisfied with the 3500's. The remote responds slow, they won't fill out the screen no matter what combination of settings you use, and it hangs up when switching channels. The remote is so weak if you don't have it pointed directly at the receiver, it won't change channels.

The signal meter is screwy too. I have channels that show 5% signal quality when it's hooked up, and 68% of the same channel on the 1200. I know nothing is going to work with a signal quality of 5%. Does anyone in here have a Linkbox 9000i? Are they a good investment? At this point I am open for suggestions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts