[CNX] HELP! 80-99 signal strength 0-0 quality strength

'Fraid he's right. Get used to aiming 'just a dish' first. Sans motor.
Do it across the arc. East west and south. Then when there's an 'understanding' of what your looking for, and known transponders are in the receiver, all dead ones removed, aligning the motor will be a LOT easier.
Will also 'show you' how long that receiver takes to lock onto different transponders.
?Then put it on the motor(or try it now, if you wish)
BUT: use USALS, it will move the dish appropriately. No guessing 'how much to move' it E or W.

'Fraid he's right. Get used to aiming 'just a dish' first. Sans motor.
Do it across the arc. East west and south. Then when there's an 'understanding' of what your looking for, and known transponders are in the receiver, all dead ones removed, aligning the motor will be a LOT easier.
Will also 'show you' how long that receiver takes to lock onto different transponders.
?Then put it on the motor(or try it now, if you wish)
BUT: use USALS, it will move the dish appropriately. No guessing 'how much to move' it E or W.
Cool ! Tech said never put on USAL , never touch 22KHZ setting which is off , freq must be on 11991 ONLY for 97W satellite or it voids the return policy on the beginner $115 FTA system . Probably just add it to the stack of RCA DP 311 receivers I have laying around as it is not worth the return freight anyway :/

Last edited:
One step at a time

When the motor moves the dish, as a byproduct , the LNBF gets skewed.
In the one dish picture, the LNBF is skewed considerably.
Im not interested in working out if it's accidentally close.
That is one more variable to remove from the problem.
Moving the motor with its buttons is not an acceptable way to find your first signal.
The best advice has already been given: get the dish off the motor.
Once the entire dish is skewed, it's very difficult for an experienced FTAer to aim the correct azumuth, and impossible for a newbie.
Put the dish directly on the pole, and dial in any skew on the LNBF where it mounts with its bracket.

When the motor moves the dish, as a byproduct , the LNBF gets skewed.
In the one dish picture, the LNBF is skewed considerably.
Im not interested in working out if it's accidentally close.
That is one more variable to remove from the problem.
Moving the motor with its buttons is not an acceptable way to find your first signal.
The best advice has already been given: get the dish off the motor.
Once the entire dish is skewed, it's very difficult for an experienced FTAer to aim the correct azumuth, and impossible for a newbie.
Put the dish directly on the pole, and dial in any skew on the LNBF where it mounts with its bracket.

Understandable Anole ;)
I can basically turn off motor then either pivot entire dish on motor tube which is angled to follow azimuth or loosen bracket on motor attached to pole to pivot entire assembly both ways motor remains at 0' . That is fine and good if aligning dish for
Name: 116.8W SATMEX 5 Elevation: 35.0° Azimuth (true): 180.0° Azimuth (magn.): 164.9° LNB Skew: -0.0° which is dead center here on azimuths highest elevation and 0 skew .
Now , if you NEVER use the motor ( it stays at 0 middle setting ) and you just rotate dish on motor tube or entire assembly on plumb tube to
Name: 97W GALAXY 19 (G-19) Elevation: 31.7° Azimuth (true): 154.1° Azimuth (magn.): 139.1° LNB Skew: -17.0° getting Signal strength 99 ( yet still Quality strength 0 , yes I tried it ) . Even with perfect strength , any movement to the west drops elevation into the 20s as 0 degree setting on motor tube was aligned with 154 true instead of 180 true . ( though LNB did rotate itself from adjusted -17 to 0 , just pointed down into the trees ) . Motor is calbrated to go from 100 degree to 260 degree following the azmuth ( 80 each way ) with 0 at dead south highest azimuth 180 degree 0 skew .
Basically if I was on perfect flat no obstructions 40.5W NSS-806 Elevation: 0.4° Azimuth (true): 100.3° Azimuth (magn.): 85.2° LNB Skew: -41.3° easily to
177W NSS-9 Elevation: 10.9° Azimuth (true): 246.9° Azimuth (magn.): 231.9° LNB Skew : 38.1° ( both far to low in their respective horizons to clear obstacles ) .
Triple checked sets . First 180 true . #1 Magnetic compass 164.9 #2 motor 0 degree middle ( and perpendicular to E-W running road ) #3 LNB plumb drop exact highest point #4 strong signal ( presumed SATMEX ) . Set LNB to 0 degree skew .
Next rotate motor . #1 motor stopped at 25 to 26 degrees off from 0 degree dead center on 180 degree . #2 check that compass is 139.1 #3 check LNB rotation is at -17 degree skew . NOW slightly loosen dish from motor tube , fine tune with tracker . Moved about 3/4 of a degree in and 1/2 degree up for strongest tone . Any farther either way drops tone down . Receiver shows 99 S-bar but 0 Q-bar . About to break into transit equipment and get out magnetic laser pointer and hang some graph paper on some fishing line and start checking each block to see if I can get Q-bar to move :/

Wow! You are making this way harder than it needs to be! Why go to all of this effort and complicate by mounting on a motor. Find your first satellite as a fixed dish. Once you understand how all of the settings work and you enjoy watching some channels, then learn about motor installs.

1. Take the dish off the motor and place directly on the post.

2. The LNB setting in the install menu needs to be set to either:
a. Universal 1 (22KHz will be greyed out and set to Auto)
or
b. Standard 10600 and 22KHz ON

3. Select transponder 12152 / Vertical / 20000 (I would not use 11991 as it can get false readings from other satellites)

4. Make sure the pole is perfectly plum and level.

5. Set the dish elevation angle to the estimated setting provided for G19 satellite.

6. Set the LNBF Skew (rotation angle) to the estimated setting provided for G19 satellite.

7. Identify a landmark in the far distance that is close to the compass reading for G19.

8. Set a small tv next to the dish and watch only the Signal Quality reading as you slowly pan the dish 15 degrees on either side of the landmark that you identified to match the approximate compass reading for g19 satellite. When on the correct satellite, the Quality reading will turn green. Any other color and the dish is pointed at a wrong satellite.

If no Signal Quality reading is displayed, raise or lower the dish elevation in one degree increments and slowly sweep the 15 degrees on either side of the landmark.

Repeat until the Quality meter shows a green reading of at least 50%, the perform a FTA type Blind Scan of the satellite to log all available channels. This install guide might help as the menus of our GEOSATpro DSR100 are very similar to the CNX Nano ( same chipset and manufacturer).

See pages 51 - 53 for fixed one satellite install instructions for similar receiver.
http://glorystar.tv/portal/33/documents/GEOSATpro_ DVR_DSR_One Sat.pdf

Last edited:
Puma80, Follow SatelliteAV's recommendations and you should be good to go. He is one of the best "Go To Guy" when it comes to FTA on this Website and the continental USA.

Wow! You are making this way harder than it needs to be! Why go to all of this effort and complicate by mounting on a motor. Find your first satellite as a fixed dish. Once you understand how all of the settings work and you enjoy watching some channels, then learn about motor installs.

1. Take the dish off the motor and place directly on the post.

2. The LNB setting in the install menu needs to be set to either:
a. Universal 1 (22KHz will be greyed out and set to Auto)
or
b. Standard 10600 and 22KHz ON

3. Select transponder 12152 / Vertical / 20000 (I would not use 11991 as it can get false readings from other satellites)

4. Make sure the pole is perfectly plum and level.

5. Set the dish elevation angle to the estimated setting provided for G19 satellite.

6. Set the LNBF Skew (rotation angle) to the estimated setting provided for G19 satellite.

7. Identify a landmark in the far distance that is close to the compass reading for G19.

8. Set a small tv next to the dish and watch only the Signal Quality reading as you slowly pan the dish 15 degrees on either side of the landmark that you identified to match the approximate compass reading for g19 satellite. When on the correct satellite, the Quality reading will turn green. Any other color and the dish is pointed at a wrong satellite.

If no Signal Quality reading is displayed, raise or lower the dish elevation in one degree increments and slowly sweep the 15 degrees on either side of the landmark.

Repeat until the Quality meter shows a green reading of at least 50%, the perform a FTA type Blind Scan of the satellite to log all available channels. This install guide might help as the menus of our GEOSATpro DSR100 are very similar to the CNX Nano ( same chipset and manufacturer).

See pages 51 - 53 for fixed one satellite install instructions for similar receiver.
http://glorystar.tv/portal/33/documents/GEOSATpro_ DVR_DSR_One Sat.pdf
dish.jpgYeah , been out with small TV and receiver next to dish since Wednesday . Before adding motor it was directly on that pole . Not sure you see level I used to make sure it was plume . Before mounting on post I actually used compass on post marking every 5 degrees . Also used my transit to put stakes out 20' on each compass point . Tech at dealer said never to do 2b or 3 as his settings were perfect the reciever is perfectly set up and it is 100% user alignment error . I can hit a beam refractor on a powerpole 25 miles away 3,000 foot above with a laser pointer from the transit but cannot get a single tick on a Q-bar checking every 1/4 to 1/2 degree of sky in azimuth and elevation over 3 days . Wish I could pass some radio or transmitter in front of dish just to see the stupid thing move off 0 once rather then constantly toiling with ' Its all your fault alignment error ' . I do not care what channel , even some lousy test signal just to see the sucker move . Years of advanced trig , geometery and physics when I should have taken electronics :/

Seriously... I know you think that I haven't told you anything new that you haven't already tried, but your other methods haven't worked yet, have they? :D

Follow my directions exactly and you are likely to have success! I work daily supporting over 250,000 viewers aiming at G19. This is my bread and butter....

First thing i notice.... That dish is aimed WAY TO HIGH! It should only be tilted back 10+ degrees. It looks to be aimed at 50+ degrees. This is at least 15+ degrees above the satellite for an install in Idaho.

Are you using factory stamped elevation scale on the dish or how are you setting the elevation angle? Your dish is an offset design. The face of the dish is pointed 22 degrees lower than the actual look angle according to the specs you posted. If the face of the dish is tilted back 10 degrees, the dish is actually pointed at 32 degrees.

Take the dish off of that motor and let's get it aimed correctly!

Last edited:
Seriously... I know you think that I haven't told you anything new that you haven't already tried, but your other methods haven't worked yet, have they? :D

Follow my directions exactly and you are likely to have success! I work daily supporting over 250,000 viewers aiming at G19. This is my bread and butter....

First thing i notice.... That dish is aimed WAY TO HIGH! It should only be tilted back 10+ degrees. It looks to be aimed at 50+ degrees. This is at least 15+ degrees above the satellite for an install in Idaho.

Are you using factory stamped elevation scale on the dish or how are you setting the elevation angle? Your dish is an offset design. The face of the dish is pointed 22 degrees lower than the actual look angle according to the specs you posted. If the face of the dish is tilted back 10 degrees, the dish is actually pointed at 32 degrees.

Take the dish off of that motor and let's get it aimed correctly!
NP , I go by #1 reading on elevation gauge ( rarely accurate ) , #2 My personal guage for angles used when running transit stuff ( but perhaps not right points on dish to check angle with straight edge ? ) and #3 which is using S bar on reciever and OTM 100 orbital tracker to fine tune . With 90 degree being straight up and down with straight edge level , pointer is on 59 and white line is actually on 60 degree which is 30 degree elevation .
The $100 question is elevation gauged from those points different in top and bottom edges of the dish ???
Elevation.jpg angle.jpg
From my lat and long inputted to the 10,000th degree XX.XXXX 97W GALAXY 19 (G-19) is at elevation: 31.7° Azimuth (true): 154.1° Azimuth (magn.): 139.1°
LNB Skew : -17.0° . Probably 1-2 degrees lower then ehat is posted but my #3 test brought the dish down a little . So measuring elevation wrong on dish ?

You have been measuring the dish elevation wrong. Currently your dish is aimed at 52 degrees elevation minus the wacky motor setting.

Seriously... take it off the motor! Your angles will only calculate if on a fixed mount with the LNBF support arm inline with the vertical plane of the reflector assembly.

The face of your offset dish is 22 degrees lower than the dish is actually aimed. You have been shooting way over the top of the satellite arc. This is why we suggest that customers reference the stamped elevation scale on the back of the dish. See: http://glorystar.tv/portal/33/documents/GEOSATpro_ DVR_DSR_One Sat.pdf page 41 for explanation and drawing.

Here is the math for a 22 degree offset dish and placing the angle finder on the vertical plane of the dish (top to bottom - edge to edge straight edge:

31.7 degrees (Satellite Elevation Angle)
- 22 degrees (dish offset angle)
9.7 degrees

The face of the dish should be pointed at 9.7 degrees to be aimed at a satellite 31.7 degrees in elevation.

Last edited:
I would second the advice given by SatAV, Anole and others. The tips and techniques I've picked just reading the various threads here helped me (an FTA newbie at the time and still wet behind the ears) in setting up my FTA system--currently 2 dishes picking up 4 sats.

Regarding the 11991 transponder on 97w: I noticed that your earlier posts mentioned horizontal polarization. 11991 is vertically polarized...if your receiver is set to horizontal, that may be another reason you don't see a flicker from the quality meter, especially if its a weaker transponder. If it was programmed that way by the dealer, then it's their mistake ;)

Be patient...you'll get there soon!

You have been measuring the dish elevation wrong. Currently your dish is aimed at 52 degrees elevation.

The face of your offset dish is 22 degrees lower than the dish is actually aimed. You have been shooting way over the top of the satellite arc. This is why we suggest that customers reference the stamped elevation scale on the dish. See: http://glorystar.tv/portal/33/documents/GEOSATpro_ DVR_DSR_One Sat.pdf page 41 for explanation and drawing.

Here is the math for a 22 degree offset dish and placing the angle finder on the vertical plane of the dish (top to bottom - edge to edge straight edge:

31.7 degrees (Satellite Elevation Angle)
- 22 degrees (dish offset angle)
9.7 degrees

The face of the dish should be pointed at 9.7 degrees to be aimed at a satellite at 31.7 degrees.

Thank you so much WOOOHOOO ! FINALLY something NEW to try ;) ( I knew pics were worth 1000 word essay comments LOL ) So using current measuring device and contact points pictured put it at 9.7 degree ;) To dark now and brought in TV and receiver incase of rain , but something to try tomorrow ;)
Gets me wondering what was setting off Sat tracker meter and S-bar so much though ? Powerlines ? current position.jpg

I am another that will say to do what Brian, AKA SatelliteAV says. If I can go to the Athol of the world and head East to Bayview and when I get there set up a dish on 97W in 15 minutes..... I follow what Brian says!---
However, my next thought is the direction - Azimuth - is not sounding right - magnetically anyway. But I have done 75 or more setups since I was at the South end of the lake. Use the app. Dishpointer I believe and pick a tree or other landmark from that, sight up the bottom of the arm at that landmark and start the aiming from there. I have taken screen shots off the computer for where we are going and literally pulled out the pictures to sight in the satellite. Your salesman will tell you anything. Brian will tell you how to get 'er done.

We can each help a little and you can locate 97W. Yes, I also set up in front of Shady Rest / Rathdrum in 2008, i think.

Likely the meter was squawking at a different satellite. With all the compounded angles of the motor mount latitude setting, dish elevation angle setting and the unknown motor position, the dish could be aimed at one of many satellites.

Any RF can set off those inexpensive meters. They just read noise levels. Point it at a ballast, lightbulb or the ground and you will get a squawk... :D

Likely the meter was squawking at a different satellite. With all the compounded angles of the motor mount latitude setting, dish elevation angle setting and the unknown motor position, the dish could be aimed at one of many satellites.

Any RF can set off those inexpensive meters. They just read noise levels. Point it at a ballast, lightbulb or the ground and you will get a squawk... :D
Thanks , actually looking forward to tomorrow again . Workload has been piling up with so much time wasted on this so I am falling way behind . Considering dish was so high above azimuth I doubt its squawking on any equatorial bird . Considering angle to G19 from here but with that incorrect elevation , either powerlines or a satellite directly over Mexico City region LOL ( waiting on black helecopters )

Definitely listen to Satellite AV's advice, him and many others on this site absolutely know what they are talking about. The first FTA dish I set up had me just about pulling my hair out in frustration until i found this site and read through threads on what to do. I did exactly as Sat AV's telling you to do now, a fixed dish setup without my motor installed [MUCH EASIER THAN WITH MOTOR] and then worried about my motor later, once I was comfortable with how everything worked. It truly is not hard to set up a Ku FTA dish but there is a specific procedure to do it and with only one thing wrong it may not work. That first setup of mine a month or so ago nearly drove me insane but just a few weeks ago I pulled my dish off my porch roof and planted it out in my yard in a better spot, within probably fifteen minutes or so tops it all was working great, thanks to all that I've learned on this great site. Read threads on how things are done, listen and do as people here tell you and you will get your FTA setup working, this is the best place for satellite information that I've found.

Like anything worthwhile there is a learning process involved and most of us at one time were dealing with the very same frustrations. Many give up and lose out but those that stick through find a whole new horizon opening up. After being involved with the hobby now with a fixed dish I can dial into any satellite transponder I want in under 10 minutes and if I have a plumb pipe can install a motorized KU system in about a half hour to 45 minutes. Putting a motor on that baby and dialing it in is child's play now but you have to walk before you can run.

This morning I got the corrected elevation . Improved squawk and S-bar , but still no twitch of the Q . It was neat how USAL moves when picking different biirds . I am guessing it is moving motor a set amount of degrees rather then actually finding the bird ? Decided to try to get a different bird in that case . SATMEX5 116.8W . My reasoning , if correct , for my specific latitude is Elevation: 35.0° (highest point in this lats horizon ) Azimuth (true): 180.0° ( dead true south of this lat ) Azimuth (magn.): 164.9° ( what the compass stake says ) LNB Skew: -0.0 ( perfectly centered ) . Motor gauge is set at '0' dead center . Now when moving E-W for 116.8 I pivot entire assembly on post keeping motor position at '0' . If I can lock onto that bird , then lock motor to post at '0' it logics when I select G19 the USAL would swing motor to that degree from '0' , motor would decrease elevation in doing so as well as motor skewing the LNB . Not sure if I am correctly describing what I am attempting but I think the only missing compnents in this logic would be all the settings SATMEX5 would require for me to input ??????

You're trying to 'over think' it.

http://www.stab-italia.com/usals.php

If the satellites longitude isn't exactly equal to your location Longitude, you wouldn't leave the motor on "0" and 'find the satellite'
For USALS the only ''inputs' required are your location Lat and Long, and the Longitude of the satellite. The USALS routine in the receiver will calculate how much to rotate the motor shaft. Then You rotate the motor/dish on the pole to, align the polar axis, which is when the satellite is found.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts