Help Chosing Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

erichepler

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
A friend of mine has a non-hd plasma tv that they currently have an R15-300 connected to. There other room has a standard receiver D11-300. They want to upgrade the D11 to a new standard dvr. The D11 is hooked up to a samsung 720p lcd tv, but they do not have HD service, although maybe someday that is an option, but currently they are not interested in the additional costs for HD programming.

My question is, what is the best receiver for them? I'm unsure what the "newest" model of dvr receivers, and the wikipedia article may have confused me even more. Which is better, R16 or R22? In the model number of receivers like R16-100, R16-300, is the -100 and -300 the approximate stanard def recording hours?

Thanks for any help, and I apologize if this info is somewhere already in the forums but I was unable to locate it if it was.

-Eric

The R16 is the current SD DVR.

What DIRECTV offers is always subject to availability and may be a refurbished R15 or R16 model. As you might imagine, uptake on SD DVRs shrinks as time passes and at some point, more will be returned than installed.

but they do not have HD service, although maybe someday that is an option, but currently they are not interested in the additional costs for HD programming.

Why don't you have them call D* & see if they can get the deal where they are waiving the HD fee for 2 years for existing customers. I just did this for some friends over the weekend - piece of cake.

Then, they can be looking at an HD DVR, such as the HR24 (although there is no guarantee that is what D* will bring) But if they have been customers long enough, there should be NO problem with them getting a FREE HD DVR upgrade.

I forgot to mention they did call D* and originally were told they'd be getting an R22 for $99. They did not order on that phone call, only researching cost and model they'd get. Placed the order, receiver arrived next day which was nice, but was an R15-100. Disappointed, they called D* and asked where the R22 was, to which D* CSR replied that the warehouse fulfills orders and that the previous CSR was incorrect to guarantee you a model.

I started researching places like Solid Signal but am unsure what the latest models are which is how I made it here. The R22 seemed like it should be the latest receiver because of the model #, but I suppose the R22 is capable of HD if there is existing HD setup.

I'll suggest the free HD for 2 years, but only 1 tv they have is HD, the other is not and the primary and larger tv is not the HD.

Would anyone be able to clarify what the -100 -300 and -500 that appears after the first part of the model number mean?

Thanks again. -Eric

You are leasing the receivers from D* so they consider a R22/R16 or R15 to be equal receivers, all SD DVRs with basically the same operating system. What ever is in the warehouse is what is shipped. The R22 was the last SD DVR produced but I don't think there are any SD DVRs currently in production everything is focused on High Definition TV. The 100/300/500 indicates what corporation was contracted to produce the receivers, has nothing to do with recording time.

Is there a particular 100/300/500 corporation that is favorable over another? How does one compare the differences, if any?

I'll suggest the free HD for 2 years, but only 1 tv they have is HD, the other is not and the primary and larger tv is not the HD.

But the HD WILL still look a lot better on that larger TV & since it's going to be FREE for at least 2 years, so what??? ;)
(& most likely, the HD fee will be gone anyway by then ;) )

Also, the R22 has NOT been manufactured for almost a year now - D* NO longer even supplies these new in MPEG4 local markets. (D* ONLY installs HD receivers/DVR's & does NOT install R22's for new subs) Matter of fact, I've had a couple clients that had their R22's replaced with HR2x boxes, so that should tell you something. If D* even has any R22's in the warehouse, they'll most likely be ONLY used to replace existing R22's.

All the versions of the R22's are all the same, so it's really a moot point as to which corp made it...

Directv OWNS the receivers you only LEASE them from Directv so model and manufacturer mean exactly nothing. If you lease a HR24-500 today from Solid Signal and it fails in 30 days Directv can replace it with a 5 year old HR20-100, to them they are exactly the same HD DVR even with a different model number and production date.

Now if you want to really BUY a DVR receiver instead of leasing expect a price in the area of $500 and you can choose manufacturer and model number, but that is virtually unheard of under todays leasing model.

I would recommend going to eBay and buying a HR10-250 used TiVo under $100 if your friend wants a cheap SD DVR. It even has an ATSC HD tuner built in so it can record OTA HD and SD signals along with D* programming.

You are leasing the receivers from D* so they consider a R22/R16 or R15 to be equal receivers, all SD DVRs with basically the same operating system.
The R22 isn't much at all like the R15/R16. It is very much a brained HR21.
The R22 was the last SD DVR produced but I don't think there are any SD DVRs currently in production everything is focused on High Definition TV.
Manufacturing of the R22 was probably discontinued before or shortly after the R15. Rumor has it that the R16 is still in production.

The R22 isn't much at all like the R15/R16. It is very much a brained HR21.

I'm sure he understands that - the point is, D* (at least as far as their billing system goes) does NOT!

Rumor has it that the R16 is still in production.

Considering they are still constantly putting them in for SD subs outside of MPEG4 markets, I would think so... ;)

I'm sure he understands that...
He may understand it that way, but that doesn't justify what he said. The R22 is an HD DVR that has had its HD capability disabled in software and shouldn't be considered the "basically the same operating system" as the NDS based DVRs.

The R22 can do many tricks that the R15 and R16 cannot including HD, MRV and 30 second skip and it comes down to having a significantly different operating system.

Yadda yadda yadda - D* STILL CONSIDERS IT AN SD DVR, just exactly like an R15, R16, etc... :rolleyes:

The ONLY way you can be guaranteed another R22 (or HR2x) if D* replaces it, is if you live in an MPEG4 market.

Last edited:
Is that Scranton Wilkes Barre locals? If so You don't need Mpeg 4 equipment.

Only channel you won't get is My Network 53 its on the 103 Satellite.

But thats not enough for D* to give you the HR DVR or R22.

All the other Locals are on the 119 on TP23.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)