HELP IM NEW!!! And Hi

Status
Please reply by conversation.

moutlaw

Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
Central Fla
So just a few things. And in advance I am very very new to this so please be gentle. Anyways I received a CW-800S from a friend who gave up waiting to see if there was going to be an update. So now i Have this receiver a dish 500 and a signal meter. Now the dish is pointed where it was when it was hooked up to DN so i can get the welcome screen when i hook it all up. Now i am not trying to do anything unlawful. I just want to set it up for some FTA Channels. Do i need to remove if so how, The updates and all that jazz he put on there and restore the whole thing to its original state? Secondly looking around the Dish 500 isnt really worth much for watching anything intresting? I do eventually plan on buying a bigger dish, motor, etc but just want to make sure i can get it going before i start spending money on this project. So If anyone can help me with those ? and or have any helpful advice for someone trying to become more tech inclined again im new. Ex. It took me a day to figure out how important the ground cable is lol.

Not familiar with that receiver, CW=? captiveworks? Not sure if that one has blind-scan ability or not, you can check the receiver menu to see. If it doesn't, you'll have to manually enter transponder information into it before it'll find many fta channels. You won't get anything on the small dish, other than NASA and Ion on 119W. There's plenty of tv to find and watch once you get a decent size dish ( 1m or so, minimum 30") and linear lnbf. Since the hacker's have been shut down there's tons of receivers out there, a lot of which isn't worth much for fta. Blind-scan feature is almost a must for us feed-hunters lol. I wouldn't worry about the hacker software for now, it shouldn't affect the operation of normal features in the receiver. But if you think there may be a problem with it, we can help you reload the firmware, if it's still available from the manufacturer. Or it can be found on the internet, usually.

Seems to me that most the work is already done for me then it does have blind scan and also stab-usals so from the way it looks if i can just get a bigger dish and motor all my work should be done for me? And just a bit curious is stab a diff function or is it a type brand of usals? And thank you

If I remember it right-the USALS program was created by Stab, a company (in Italy, I think) that builds a model of satellite dish motor. There is a couple or more different ways to store the satellite positions in the receiver, so it knows how to drive the motor to the proper location for the satellite you want, Diseqc 1.2 is on a lot of receivers , and the USALS prog is just an extension of that. With USALS you can physically mount the motor, put the motorshaft at the zero position, and fairly easily locate your satellites, once you enter your latitude and longitude in the receiver.

So i guess that just leaves the most important ? Me being a poor boy, which should i buy first the bigger dish and new lnb or motor to use on dish 500 with its original lnb? Keep in mind there may be a big space between the purchase of each. And again thanks. :)

bigger dish will get you some good stuff refer to "The List" on the KU side and see what you are missing with your bootlegger kit.

A motor on a Dish 500 with a circular LNB probably won't do you much good. The only FTA channels from Dish (except things like pirate tv) are on 119W. Personally, I would go for a bigger dish and linear lnb first. Then check Lyngsat, FTAList, or The List to find a good sat to park your stationary dish on until you buy a motor.

$69 including shipping, OK.... not bad and that includes the LNB. World Direct oval dishes are pretty good too, going anywhere $65 to $85 shipped includes the LNB too. Our sponsor Sadoun is selling WS7630 dishes for $35 not including shipping, not including LNB. I own two of them. I saw a place on Ebay they are located in Miami that sells dishes too.

By chance can you remember where i can find that store, Try to get some faster shipping lol Its just burning me up to hurry up and get this done.

Saw no brand name at all on that ebay ad, be careful what you order , there is some junk out there. If you want fast>look around the area for one of those old gray primestar satellite dishes. Usually can get those for free if the owner doesn't want it any more, they're easy to take down and move and re-plant. And excellent for fta, lots of us use them.

Okie dokie on to the next ? As i am on lyngsat browesing the possibilitys what is DVB etc and what do i look for when looking for viewable channels etc?

Lyngsat is rather difficult to read if you're new to the hobby. I would recommend that you browse TheList here at SatelliteGuys first.

If you still want to check out Lyngsat, look for any transponders with 5-digit frequencies in the left column. Those will be Ku-Band and receivable with a reasonably sized (30" or larger) dish. DVB is a universal standard that is receivable by ordinary FTA receivers. Digicipher II and DSS are proprietary, and require special receivers (DSS is DirecTV's proprietary system, and is, for the purposes of this thread, useless for us. Digicipher II is Motorola's proprietary system, and you need their receiver and authorization*). On Lyngsat, there is a color key, which is explained at the bottom of the pages. Basically, beige is unencrypted digital (FTA).

* - Some commercial Motorola receivers intended for use by broadcast professionals do not require authorization for fixed-key channels (beige colored Digicipher II channels on Lyngsat).

So far so good...HELP..lol

So for those that have been helping me many thanks to you, So the latest update got The 39" Dish And The Moteck is on the way, Few questions tho, Currently all i can get with my temp spot is 79 AMC 5 . Now from what i gather from the list i should only recieve ktel. I dont get that but i do get Pentagon, Fedex and some ms90,91 etc. Now according to dish pointer my dish seems to be pointed to 103 and those channels do come listed under 103 but my reciever tells me its 79 AMC 5??? Any Ideas oh and just a friendly reminder i am very new and this could very well be me being stupid so yea.

Last edited:
If you've got Pentagon you're on 103 alright, just sounds like your receiver is confused lol.
What do you have in the motor setup screen for that satellite? Also, for the USALS program you have to enter your lat/longitude in the motor setup screen. There's a motor setup faq here so I'm not going to type all that information now. Does your dish track any other satellites?

edit to add this link to motor setup thread:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-mpeg2-faqs/190527-how-set-up-motorized-ku-band-dish.html#post1985980

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts