HELP! Motor acting up!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The good thing about the Cband dishes is that the two adjustments were reasonably independent.
On the H-H motors, they interact.

The only way to change your Ku declination to get it right (assuming you are targeting your southern bird), requires you to change the motors elevation, then do an opposite direction adjustment of the elevation on the back of the dish, to bring it back onto the satellite.
More I think about it, that's what you do on a C-band dish, too
At lest there, you can dial in declination if you need it, often by using washers to shim the mount.

If you follow the printed literature, and leave the motor alone, but adjust the dish's elevation, you are doing two things:
. adjusting the elevation of your beam
. adjusting your declination
That can't be good, and may be a reason so many people have trouble finding the arc.

Well, I think both prime focus and offsets use declination and elevation settings independent of each other, it just seems easier to setup a big dish with less fuss, but then again, I never did one with a hh motor, just actuator so arc travel was less. I wonder if its recommended to set the motor elevation and leave it and play with the declination because the motor elevation bracket scales are relatively accurate compared to the declination scales, some of the dishes don't even have a scale. Anyway, kiind of interesting, any of the satellite theory books I have, without exception state, set the declination and leave it alone except for in the end of the alignment process, when minute adjustments might be needed between the two elevations.

I went and realigned the dish/motor assembly and repeaked it to my true south satellite. Nice strong signal. Before I got 43w to 148w with USALS. Then after I tried to get 30w I had to use Diseqc 1.2 and tweak each satellite. Well I would have to retweka them about once per week so that is why I went out today to reset it up. At first all the satellites were strong with USALS, then a few I had to go in an use DISEQC 1.2 to get the strongest signal. BUT now, USALS is back as being dead on, but I still can't get east of 72 or west of 116. Not even manually! The dish looks like it is moving to th right position, but nothing at all on the receiver. And all the other satellites are dead on USALS. I am really confused!

My guess is the elevation ( or latitude or both ) is off a tad ?

Wyr

an interesting comment is that it mentions to adjust the motor elevation and leave the dish elevation alone. I was allways told the oposite. set your motor elev to your lat and fine tune elevation using the dish...

any comments from others ?

Since the elevation scale on some / many dishes are nor calibrated or incorrect , I set the motor latatude as close as I could & then set the dish elevation by trial and error .

Wyr

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts