Help Needed

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
As you may have seen in another post my father is currently in Hospice care with lung cancer. I wanted to add a movie channel package and / or increase his package of channels, so that he could enjoy them during the time he has left.

Looking at his current bill I see he has the Total Choice package that has 160 channels. When I scroll through the channels within the Choice Xtra package I see some channels would be added like "Science", "Style", "HUB", etc. However, when I click on the channel icon it shows that these channels are included within his current package. Is the website incorrect?

Also, several months ago my mom mentioned to me that their bill went up $5 a month and they didn't know why. I just figured DirecTV raised their prices and told her not to worry. Today I looked over their bill and noticed that they are being charged $5 dollars a month for a leased DVR receiver which they bought at Best Buy and own. Shouldn't this $5 monthly fee be eliminated or is it really leased when in fact they purchased it?

Current Bill:
FOX NYC/LA (grandfathered) $3.50
Total Choice $57.49
DVR $7.00
Leased Receiver $5
Total $71.65 including taxes.

With Dish Network I get 160 channels, DVR, FREE HD and only pay $48 a month.

Thank you all for your help and god bless.

After dealing with DirecTV for my parents I'm glad I have Dish Network!

First I updated my parents package from Total Choice to Choice Ultimate for $10 extra per month. Then I tried to remove the $7 DVR fee, because my parents never use the DVR features. It said to call 1-800-DIRECTV. So I call and am told if I cancel the DVR feature they will have to swap out the receiver for a standard receiver. No way, my parents PAID for this receiver at Best Buy and are being charged not only a $5 per month lease fee they also must swap out the receiver if they no longer want DVR service.

how many receivers do they have?
the $5 charge is for additional receivers and yes if you stop the DVR service you have to get a regular receiver

how many receivers do they have?
the $5 charge is for additional receivers and yes if you stop the DVR service you have to get a regular receiver

They only have 1 receiver in the living room which they bought at Best Buy.

Why should they return the DVR receiver if they paid for it?

OK then D* is charging them wrong as the 1st receiver is included in the pricing

As for the DVR I never said they had to return it......

Ok, I just logged onto DirecTV's website and went into my parents account. They do screwy billing like Dish Network. :) The statement has primary receiver leased fee $5 on one line and then primary receiver free ($5.00) deducted. They are NOT being charged for the receiver. DirecTV's channel packages are just more expensive then Dish Network.

Now if only I could get the $7 DVR fee removed since they don't use the DVR features. I hate for them to swap out boxes.

Another thing that needs to be mentioned. Even if the receiver was 'bought' at Best Buy it is still considered to be leased.
You list above states "leased receiver". (Which is credited with the first receiver - Just the way DirecTV does it)

You may not get the $7 fee removed, but they might give you a $10 credit for 6 months.

Another thing that needs to be mentioned. Even if the receiver was 'bought' at Best Buy it is still considered to be leased.
You list above states "leased receiver". (Which is credited with the first receiver - Just the way DirecTV does it)

You may not get the $7 fee removed, but they might give you a $10 credit for 6 months.

I don't understand the $10 credit for 6 months. If the receiver still functions without the DVR features activated why can't they simply deactivate it instead of swapping out receivers?

Also, would it be possible for me to pay my parents current bill using my credit card or would DirecTV think this was fraud and refuse?

I was just trying to say that you could get a credit to offset the $7 fee.
It's just thw way DirecTV has their system setup.
DVR = DVR fee regardless of usage.

Whether you can pay the bill with your credit card is a question you'll have ask them.

There is a big sticker on the Box when you purchase it from Best Buy that says the receiver will be leased when you activate it.

Most of the time the sticker is right in the middle so you have to cut through it when you open the box.

There is a big sticker on the Box when you purchase it from Best Buy that says the receiver will be leased when you activate it.

Most of the time the sticker is right in the middle so you have to cut through it when you open the box.

I guess my parents being elderly didn't fully understand when they purchased the receiver.

I think I'm beginning to understand. When I signed up for Dish Network I received a FREE VIP722 HD DVR, but had to agree to a 2yr agreement. With DirecTV my parents had to purchase a "leased" receiver, but in doing so would be able to cancel at any time without a 2yr agreement.

How long have they had D*?
If its been a while (like years) the older DVR's you could legit buy (not lease)

How long have they had D*?
If its been a while (like years) the older DVR's you could legit buy (not lease)

They have had DirecTV for over 15 years, but bought the DVR (model R15-500) last year after their old receiver got zapped by lightening. They have paid $7 a month for the DVR service since then, but have never used it. In fact, they don't even use the guide and simply channel surf up and down. I think they paid roughly $125 to $150 for the receiver at Best Buy.

In most cases its a lease then. There are some R15's that are classified as purchased (I picked up one from the goodwill store for 5 bucks) :) but most are a lease

and if you have a DVR on the account they have to bill you for the DVR service

I think I'm beginning to understand. When I signed up for Dish Network I received a FREE VIP722 HD DVR, but had to agree to a 2yr agreement.
It's really the same for both Dish and DirecTV:

- Free / deeply discounted equipment to start
- First receiver lease fee is credited
- DVR fees are assessed if you have a DVR on the account

Adding new receivers after you are already a customer requires paying an up-front lease fee. Dish charges up-front through their Dish'n it Up program. See: Satellite Package Upgrade - Frequently Answered Questions - DISH Network

The DVR features are inherent to the box and not setup to be disabled remotely - this is also true of both providers. If you buy a DVR, you pay DVR fees.

With DirecTV my parents had to purchase a "leased" receiver, but in doing so would be able to cancel at any time without a 2yr agreement.
Not exactly. Activating a new receiver on the account renews the 2 year contract. If they had called DirecTV and said lightning fried their old receiver, DirecTV would have worked out a free/cheap replacement that would have not renewed the contract.

Since March of 1996 D* has leased it's receivers to customers. If your parents bought a DVR after March 1st 1996 they paid a lease upgrade fee not a purchase fee. If they have a R15/R16 or R22 it is a leased DVR the way D* system is setup they can't cancel the DVR without deactivating the receiver so you must swap it for a basic receiver that dosen't have the DVR function.

Since March of 1996 D* has leased it's receivers to customers. If your parents bought a DVR after March 1st 1996 they paid a lease upgrade fee not a purchase fee. If they have a R15/R16 or R22 it is a leased DVR the way D* system is setup they can't cancel the DVR without deactivating the receiver so you must swap it for a basic receiver that dosen't have the DVR function.
Thats False, You mean March of 2006 is when the leases started. Not all R15's are leased, MANY aren't. R 15 was released in fall of 2005
But most all,D11,D12, R16,r22,h2* HR2*'s are Leased.

You even posted it right here.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/52395-directv-going-lease-only-3-1-a.html#post449071

Here's another.
http://forums.lounge0101.com/showpost.php?p=1968110231&postcount=1

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)