Help Needed

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well, the good news is that all your equipment (the dish, LNB, and receiver) are in good working order.

The issue would seem to be, in a general sense, your dish is pointed at the wrong satellite. Or perhaps at the correct satellite, but you are locked on to channels that only have encrypted streams.

Let's get some more information so we can hunt this down. Dish size? LNB model? Dish motor? Are you attempting to lock something specific, say, on 97W?

Here's the thing.. it's easy to find the broadcast satellites, because they are high power and don't require such precision aiming. It's obvious you are set up well enough to get a signal, but maybe we need to adjust the dish aiming, or some settings in the receiver. Something like that...

Reactions: spongella
We need lots more info about your set-up to give you help. :)
What dish are you using right now? What satellite are you pointed at? How do you know? Do you have another working box?
We will be glad to help you start enjoying TRUE FTA. :)

Reactions: spongella
Well, I'm sure glad Mike got here, because I apparently asked all the wrong questions.

ccrippy, you just tell Mike how you know stuff and if you've got another working box. I'm sure everything will quickly get resolved to your satisfaction.

Yep, Mike has the right questions, but USDownlink has good questions too.

You might be pointed at the wrong satellite, one that has mainly pay channels. Other thing is, are you scanning for free channels or free/scrambled channels?

If you can take a picture of the scan on the TV screen with the names of the scrambled channels it might help to figure out which satellite you are on.Pictures are always a great help.

I have a 39" dish with a Moteck sg2100 motor
LNB is a Invacom QPH-031 Quad polar legacy 4.0
I can find different satellites but still get all scrambled channels.
going by PID number I am at 128w but when I get on dish pointer it says a different satellite.
I am using a satellite finder, I do have another box X2 Premium mini but it will not show any channels.
Thanks for all the help.

I have a DWD 90 T with a Moteck SG2100 motor, a Invacom QPH-31 Quad Polar Legacy 4
according to PID number of channel I am on 128 W. When I goggle on Dish pointer it give me a different satellite.
I have a X@ Premium Mini which when I scan does not find any channels.
I am using a satellite finder with buzzer and screen with percentage. I am getting 80-99 percent on signal.
Thanks for all your help.

If you are new to the hobby, I would put just the dish on a pole for now and not use the motor for now.
Make sure your pole is perfectly plumb and level.
Make sure you are hooked up to the linear side of the LNBF.
Those cheap buzzer meters mostly will land you on the Pay TV satellites as they are so much stronger than the others.
Go to dishpointer.com and enter your address and choose a satellite like 97W.
Mount your dish and use the settings they give you for elevation and LNBF skew.
Use a compass or the map to get your dish pointed in the general direction.
You can try the buzzer meter then a little and if no luck still.
Take your receiver out to the dish with a small table or something and a tv and extension cord.
Make sure your receiver is set for 97W Ku and LO is set to 10750.
Choose known active transponder from the list. By looking it up on THE LIST at the top of this page or lyngsat.com.
Slowly move your dish back and forth watching the Quality meter on the receiver. If nothing adjust your elevation on the dish and repeat, until you find the satellite.
No satellite at 128W so not sure where you are getting that info.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!!!
Keep at it you will get it! This is a very rewarding hobby! :)

Reactions: fred555
The QPH-031 has four outputs marked L C L C, two linear (FTA) outputs and two circular (DBS) outputs. Make sure you are using the Linear (L) output. If you are using the Circular output you probably won't see FTA channels. Make sure the LO is set to 10750

Reactions: N6BY and fred555
Also I failed to mention if you are using 97W as your starting satellite, use 12152 Horizontal 20000 because it is not duplicated on other nearby satellites.

Ok here is were I am at, I have set dish like dish pointer says and am getting dish network channels ( not scrambled) of course it is advertisments for dish.
I set my satellite at 97Wset search FTA only. I searched by programmed TP's.
When I put in 12152 H 20000 it says fail. Also when I put in that TP in blind search normal it seems to change to another TP during search.
So I am guessing maybe I need to move dish a little?
Still not sure I am on 97W. Someone might be able to tell me if these channels are correct for 97W.

Just go to the transponder listing for 97W and choose 12152 H 20000.
If all is right you should get a 45 on the signal meter and 0 quality.
Double check that your LO is set for 10750 and you are hooked to the Linear side of your LNBF.
Also make sure that your LNBF is skewed in its holder according to Dishpointer.
Don't do a blind scan or Transponder scan at this time, just go to the transponder list and select 12152.
There is not a DISH Network Satellite near 97W so you are off one way or the other. If you are kinda close you are probably on 110.
Assuming this: raise your elevation a couple of degs and and pan slowly to the east watching your quality bar on the receiver.
If nothing maybe raise a little more and pan.
Be patient and take your time. When the Quality lights up you know you have it and can peak with ele. and east/ west.
Then if you do a blind scan you should get 200+ channels.

If I had to guess I would say you are at 110W.
But last time I checked a few weeks ago I did not think there were even any clear DISH promo channels there.
Are connected to an L output on the Invacom?

Reactions: KE4EST
Just to verify: Are you setting Elevation to about 46 deg and skewed the LNBF about 13 degs?
Do you have just the dish on the pole and no motor?

119W are where the only clear DISH promo channels are that I know of.

If you have an Android Smartphone I would suggest you try an aiming app instead of the meter.
It sounds like you are way way off in your aiming.
I have had extremely good results with this one:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ftl.satellitedishpointer.sdp&hl=en
It usually gets me within 2 or 3 degrees of azimuth.
Then start with the published elevation data for your area.

But most of them are way better than an analog meter.
Even the average aiming app should get you within 5 degrees or so.
As for iPhone I'm sure there are apps but I'm not an Apple person .

Still an app will just get you close, you will still have to search side to side and up and down as suggested.

fst.png

Last edited:
I got it, I do have motorized system, I have installed C Band dish and Ditect dishes but this one for some reason kept alluding me.
I did find on my disqeu switch 3 of 4 ports bad. I plugged it up straight and channels appeared. I was bypassing 97w though.
Thanks for you help all!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts