Help with Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bass Cadet

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
I just bought a Fortec Lifetime Ultra receiver. I have a Coolsat 6000 which is working well and figured I might as well get another receiver since my LNB has the outputs available, and people say Fortecs might find channels the Coolsat misses. I now know I should have bought a Classic--I thought Ultras were newer.

So I hooked the Fortec up and get 20-30% for level and 0% for quality. I've tried IA-5 and G10R, using the Coolsat to move the dish. I have a switch between the motor and LNB and tried different settings but still nothing.

I also took the receiver and put my Dish Network cable on it, still 20-30% level, 0% quality (scanned Echo 9).

I don't have the manual, so I don't really know what I'm doing, just pushing buttons.

Help, please?

I just bought a Fortec Lifetime Ultra receiver. I have a Coolsat 6000 which is working well and figured I might as well get another receiver since my LNB has the outputs available, and people say Fortecs might find channels the Coolsat misses. I now know I should have bought a Classic--I thought Ultras were newer.

So I hooked the Fortec up and get 20-30% for level and 0% for quality. I've tried IA-5 and G10R, using the Coolsat to move the dish. I have a switch between the motor and LNB and tried different settings but still nothing.

I also took the receiver and put my Dish Network cable on it, still 20-30% level, 0% quality (scanned Echo 9).

I don't have the manual, so I don't really know what I'm doing, just pushing buttons.

Help, please?

I have a Lifetime Ultra.

Explain how the cabling is hooked up. What's the switch for between the motor and the LNB?

Are you planning to run a separate cable from a second output on the lnb to the fortec unit? Or hook the two receivers up in series?

I have a Lifetime Ultra.

Explain how the cabling is hooked up. What's the switch for between the motor and the LNB?

Are you planning to run a separate cable from a second output on the lnb to the fortec unit? Or hook the two receivers up in series?

Cabling goes:
Invacom LNB L1 & C1 -> DiSEqC switch inputs 1 & 2 (3 & 4 not connected)
DiSEqC switch output -> SG2100 motor LNB port
SG2100 motor receiver port -> Coolsat/Fortec receiver antenna input

The switch allows linear and circular signals on the same cable (I'm guessing, haven't really tried any circular transponders). If the Fortec is working, I plan on buying another switch and running the second set of L & C outputs to it on a separate cable. I will use the Coolsat to move the motor.

Thanks for any help.

It maybe an idea to remove the switch for now just to make sure the Fortec is working, remember you have to POWER down the receiver before removing or adding a DiSEqC switch!!!!

On my Fortec LU, the level indicator is next to useless. It typically reads 45-50% even when pointing the dish at the ground. Level doesn't jump until quality does. Quality sits at zero until it gets a signal. Never reads less than 25% (unless its zero), and reception doesn't occur until quality is steady 40's and above.

I'd rotate the dish with the coolsat until it picks up a live TP on the satellite you want, peak the position, then switch over to the Fortec and do a blind scan.

Thanks, guys, for the info--much appreciated.

I did find the user's manual as well as a service manual (w/ schematics even) yesterday. It looks like I have everything set correctly. I did turn off receivers when switching the antenna, but the switch is a Coolsat and those are supposedly not too reliable. I also have a signal meter (Digisat II) but haven't used it yet. I'll try putting it in-line with the Fortec.

I guess I get to go up on the roof this weekend.

Thanks again.

Wait a minute :) before going up on the roof.

Make sure your LNBF settings on the Fortec Lifetime ULTRA are correct. The Invacome QPH031 LNBF you are using has STANDARD linear lnbf. So the LNBF type in your ULTRA should be set to 10750 and 22KHz tone OFF.

See instructions here: http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Fortec-Star/Receivers/fortec_star-LifeTime-ultra-Installation.htm

It looks like the Fortec has problems. :( I just tried those settings and it's still 20-30% level, 0% quality. If I unplug the antenna I get the same readings.

I also put the Digisat in and the Fortec won't power it up. The Coolsat powers it up fine. I measured the output with a DMM and the Fortec is putting out 0V (LNB = ON) while the Coolsat puts out 13.67V.

I'm debating trying to fix it or pressing for a refund. I won't get much if I have to ship it back.

Well, since you've tried the above and still have a problem with the receiver, it is probably defective :mad:

Whoever sold it to you should take it back and replace it for you or refund your money.

Good luck.

If you are using the I.F. output from your Coolsat to your Fortec the low level and quality could be from that. A good way to tell is to power down the Coolsat from the switch on the receiver ( after putting the dish on the sat you want to try) and then hooking the cable from the dish & motor directly to your Fortec and then try setting up and scanning that way. I have noticed even when I have my Pansat 2700a in standby mode (powered off from the remote not the switch on the back of the receiver) that my PCI card and another old receiver I have, don't seem to get as strong a signal as they do when they are directly connected to the dish & motor instead of being hooked up thru the I.F. pass-thru.
grusome

Edit, sorry I just re-read you last post about no voltage showing up with the LNB power set to on.
That would pretty well show the problem exists with your Fortec itself and not a pass-thru problem like I mentioned in the above.

Last edited:
:eek: OK, time to eat humble pie. I was hooking the dish to the antenna input. After looking at the manual again, I realized I should be using the IF input and the antenna input is for OTA. :eek: :eek: :eek: Amazing I ever got the Coolsat set up in the first place.:D

Thanks for the assistance. I'll be going up on the roof to run the new cable and install new switches. It does look like a decent receiver and should complement the Coolsat well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)