Help With G10R

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Elite09

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 27, 2004
Hello all. I have my Star Choice 75E and SG2100 all set up with my Pansat 2800a.
I have the the Star Choice Left LNB to Input #1 on the switch and the Bell Expressvu LNB (Pull tied to the right SC LNB) to Imput #2 of my switch.
See the arc fine from AMC5 (45% Quality with Tress block the rest to the east) to T7 (35% Quality)

The only sats I can't get anything on are AMC1 and G10R. ON AMC1 on a blind scan I get no transponders at all. I assume this is to the weird skew on that sat.

G10R is a little different.

I get a signal of 10-17 quality on transponder 11798 V 26.657

On a blind scan I get the following transponders:

11804 H 4.580
11798 V 26.657
11904 V 4.352
11953 V 8.823
12033 V 19.125

and the only channels i get on a FTA+Scrambled Blind Scan are $CH 1 and $CH 2.

My setting are:
LNB Type: Standard
LNV Local Freq: 10750
22kHz: Off
DiSEqC: #1

Any advice would be great. I tried to give all my info. I just don't get it, but I get the rest of the ARC fine.

Thanks.

11720/V27692 and 11800/V/26657 are known to be weaker transponders and have the most channels on them. When my temporary setup was not perfectly plumb, I could not get these. Also note that G10R drifts, I changed the location of the sat from 123 to 123.25...

Sorry, I have a Merc II, you will need someone with the same receiver to compare signal quality...

I have found with G10R that I need all the tricks in the book to get it to work.

I need a larger dish of at least 1 meter.

Very low noise LNB like Invacom.

Then fixed dish. Pointing at G10R is about the size of this ---> O

I need to be in the center of that O. My big dish has a bit of "play" in the positioner, so I can set it to be in the center of the O, then move it away, then back and it is now on the edge of that O.

With my fixed dish, I can point it to the center of the O and the dish stays there.

Then I have also sprayed my dish with the anti-rain fade spray.

Now I get excellent signals from G10R.

I wish my wife would go for a bigger dish but it just won't happen. It is just frustrating that probably the most important sat up there for FTA, I can't get.

I even went to the effort to move to that sat then try to peak. best i could get was 15%. I think it is a dish problem as I think everything else is hooked up right. I guess 75cm isn't big enough for me in southern saskatchewan.

A bigger dish is always a good idea. :)

But one thing you could do is review the LNB, switch, cable, and connectors.
Any loss at any point along the way will cost you.
Switches can be bypassed.
Motors are lossy.
Cables... well, long runs may be a contributing factor - just how far is too-far is to be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Proper compression connectors and no splices will help a little.

And my favorite - the LNB. What are you using? Oh, a StarChoice LNB... :(
A proven, high-performance LNB might make the difference.
Have you tried moving it closer to and further away from the dish?
Have you fine-tuned the skew?

And I think that brings us full-circle to a bigger dish...:rolleyes:

The SC LNB is bolted to the dish so it can't move in and out.

I've found that the Sat B (the one normally for 111.1) works better since its straight down the arm. Setup is 10750 for LO and 22k ON...if you are using a Diseqc switch its no biggie.

And those 2 TP's on G10 I get on a 76cm dish in MN at 75 (11799) and 60 (11720) on a Pansat 1500 so your numbers should be close

I wish my wife would go for a bigger dish but it just won't happen...

Perhaps I could be of some assistance with this matter...:D

(Hope she is not reading this!)

My best friend waits until his wife wants something, then he pounces like a cat catching a bird. For example his wife wanted a new washing machine, then he demanded he should get a new recliner - the kind with a back massager, speakers built in, etc.

He even told me he was getting a new recliner. She looked at him like "in your dreams!"

So she got her washing machine. Now for some unknown reason, he has not yet been able to get his recliner :confused:, but anyway this is the general idea....

G10R drifts... from 123 to 123.25...
Concord:

You must have some slack or backlash in your motor. The satellites are required to maintain their orbits inside a 70 mile cube. Movement within the 70 mile cube is not noticeable to our dishes.

A satellite's useful life is determined by many factors, one of them being onbord fuel storage capacity for their positioning motors. They are monitored by the companies that own them and adjustments to their orbits are required several times a day. Left uncontrolled, they'd be useless after a few days

Harold

Concord:

You must have some slack or backlash in your motor. The satellites are required to maintain their orbits inside a 70 mile cube. Movement within the 70 mile cube is not noticeable to our dishes.

A satellite's useful life is determined by many factors, one of them being onbord fuel storage capacity for their positioning motors. They are monitored by the companies that own them and adjustments to their orbits are required several times a day. Left uncontrolled, they'd be useless after a few days

Harold

I read somewhere, forgot where, that 123w drifts around abit and was located around 123.25 at the time I was setting my dish up in it's temporary location. Once moved to it's final location and plumb, I had no problems with others from 30w to 129w, 123w was a tricky one.

If you can switch the LNBF to one of the Invacom low noise models, you should get a better signal quality. The Starchoice LNBF could be as noisy as a 0.8db. The older StarChoice LNBF's were rated at 0.8db, and I saw somewhere that the Quad StarChoice is also a 0.8db. (but do not know if that is true or not as it was not from the manufactures site that I saw that rating, I doubt it is actually a 0.8db) I am using an Invacom Quad on a StarChoice 1m round dish with the Invacom Quad and currently getting S:45 Q:100 on my Nexus-S card on WPXS (11800MHz). I do really like the Invacom Quad as it has been great at holding the signal in bad weather. I had my dish down for about a month as I moved it off my TV tower to a pole in the yard. Still have some work to do as it is not cemented in place or filled with concreate. It moves too much for my liking and the pipe compresses too much when I tighten down the motor mount. I had a hard time fine tuning the dish. As bill190 pointed out, the signal is a small area, but you want to be in the absolute centre of it to have maximum quality readings. Extremely small adjustments are required. Just tightening the locking bolts can be enough to move your dish off of the very centre of the signal. If you do get an Invacom LNBF you will have to fabricate your own holder to hold it in place, as it does not mount the same as the StarChoice Quad LNBF. Just measure the focal point (slightly inside the feedhorn assembly) and make the new one match up as close as possible. If you can make it for it can be moved in and out to fine tune the signal, it would be better. It might not be worth the work to mount the Invacom LNBF, as you may not gain any or much extra than what the original StarChoice LNBF is getting. I think that they (Invacom) do do a better job, but do not have anything to prove it. Now if Iceberg is getting such a good signal with a 75cm dish, you must not be centred on the signal. It takes a lot of work to get the dish peaked for optimal signal. Keep trying, and make extremely small adjustments untill it is at the absolute maximum quality reading. It does get easier with the more practice you have adjusting the dish. It can be very frustrating, but keep trying and you should be able to get G10R.

A good LNBF makes quite a difference. I have been trying to get WhiteSprings TV on my 1m dish that is pointed at G10R. Like the other thread on adding a second LNBF, it looked pretty simple. Well I tried and tried and found a few things I had wrong. My listing for the transponder was out of date, so I was trying to get a signal with the wrong symbol rate information. After changing that setting. I still could not get any quality, and after looking at the ohter posts, I knew the LNBF must be placed close. Even with a reading of 0 for quality, when I tryed moving the LNBF around, the picture did finally come in. I was using a Digiwave 0.3db standard LNBF, but could only get 1 or 2 max. for quality. Well I tryed one of my old StarChoice LNBF (the flashlight shaped dual) and I was able to get the quality to rise to between 45 and 50. This LNBF is rated at 0.9, but outperformed the Digiwave 0.3. I also tried a Invacon Quad and it was about as good as the StarChoice. This has been a 2 day project to add the second LNBF. My point is, you should be able to get a good signal with your StarChoice dish and LNBF as Iceberg points out. It just takes time, and double checking that you have all your settings correct.... then check again. And don't believe all the ratings on the LNBF's you see advertised. Quality makes a BIG difference. Your StarChoice LNBF should do you fine, but if you are to replace the LNBF, get one with quality and don't go by just the ratings listed for it, see what other members here have to say. Also as Anole points out, "Any loss at any point along the way will cost you" so wire it direct, no switches or motors. Check your connectors and cables.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)