Help With New Openbox S10

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bonnie Estey

Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Hey guys, new to the forum but have been using FTA equipment for over ten years. Just bought a openbox S10 with legit chip ID. Video occasionally freezes and the RCA outputs act up(like tracking issues on a VCR). I assume I need new Firmware, but I've tried different Firmware only to have (invalid file) pop up on my screen. I feel like chucking the thing out and going back to PANSAT when life was simple :) My manual says to attach ( all ) to the front of the Firmware file and end with (.abs), I've tried it both ways and I still get an invalid file error! please, please help.

The july firmware is very popular. I just picked up an S10 for cheap(I have been using an S9 for about a year) and I had the same problems with invalid firmware file. I was using a 16gb usb drive. I switched back to my 4gb cruzer usb drive and it loaded fine. Try a different usb drive or load the firmware through the serial port.

Hello Bonnie
Double check what rrob is mentioning, also make sure the Pen Drive is format as FAT32. Look for 7/19/2011 firmware (which is really 7/14/2011) when you unrar the file. As always make a full backup of your sat list/TPs/channels via the Menu/Tools/ Dump option before loading any new firmware.

Also forgot to ask if someone could point me to the best firmware file.

Everyone has their own "take" on what firmware is best. General consensus here is that all Openbox units are not the same,
and you need to experiment for the "path of least issues." Mine, I believe is July 2011 or August 2011.

Best to stay with posted software here on this site in the FTA firmware forum, not just anything you "grab" from the web, too.

Things on which to measure firmeware's effectiveness in reducing issues include watchign for freezing on SD ION channels and stuttering on some HD channels (though mine has not done this on any PBS or other HD of late--only did it on some of the movie channels now gone.)

Good Luck!

I use the lan manager to load files.Less wear and tear on the usb connector.
When experimenting, I use the rs232 loader.

I leave a short USB extension cable plugged into the box to avoid wear on the internal USB port. The 7-17-2011 firmware works best in my S10, so far anyway. It's not perfect, but doesn't freeze up like newer versions do for me. Shudders a bit once in a while, but picks itself up and keeps going.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts