Help with new Satellite Receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Also,

What do you guys think about:
the
INVACOM QPH-031 Quad Polar Ku LNB FTA Satellite 2 Circular 2 Linear Outputs HD
View attachment 146511

vs

MAVERICK KU BAND PLL LNBF Free-To-Air Standard Linear FTA LNBF
View attachment 146512

??
The top one is a good LNB but it's expensive and heavy. Will not play well with a motor, may even cause boom flex when well east or west of due south.

there is a question I have
since I'm testing first the directv dish with its own LNB,
these Direct tv dishes do not have any motor so If I'm targeting the Galaxy 19, 97.0W
do I have to re-aim the dish or I should be able to just plug the Amiko Mini HD265 FTA Receiver and scan right where is at? since it was already up and running previously with whatever they programmed it to.

then,
if I don't get any? I will plug my new MAVERICK KU BAND the re-scan again right where is at?

I'm sore of confused with satellite dishes that they are already used like Direct tv dishes what exactly needs to be done to make them work with the Galaxy 19 satellite?

Thanks
Freddy V

Sorry but I'm a bit confused, thought you had a 30 inch FTA dish and had clamped in an old Direct TV circular LNB using the clamp spacers that come with some LNB brackets. This could have been useful for learning how to peak a dish because you could have tried to find one of the Dish Network satellites that would have a very strong signal just to practice with.

Please disregard the info above.
-------------------------------------------------------

97W with a tiny Direct TV dish with the original circular polarized LNB is not going to work.

If you want to lock onto 97W you will need at least a 30 inch FTA dish with a linear polarized LNB.

You will also need to get into the setup menu of your receiver and peak the dish using the built in meter. Attached is a picture from my Orby TV, yours will be different but something like this sample. You are going to have to have the receiver and a small TV at the dish so you can see what tiny adjustments do. Aiming a satellite dish is a very precise thing 1/16 inch movement can be from zero to 80%

Attachments

• OrbyTvSig.jpg
    OrbyTvSig.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 139
Local oscillator...LO...settings for your DTV and the Maverick LNBF are going to be different.
Your questions are typical for a noob and it took me a little time when trying to grasp the concepts when trying to use my chinabox FTA receiver with DTV and Dish LNBF's at first.
Your dish is just too small to get any sort of usable signal on FTA satallites. You MAY get lucky and snag a lock. But have a bottle of Advil handy. That was my experience.
If you swap out the DTV LNBF out with a different one it has to be mounted in the exact location of the original one.
Even if you manage to do that and you were aimed at a DTV sat with a DTV receiver and you swap it out for the chinabox and set it up for the FTA LNBF....Locking a signal will be a no go using the transponder frequencies on the charts.
A blindscan will show funky transponder frequencies. It's been a few years and from memory that was my experience.

Buy at least a 30 inch dish. Use Dish finder to get an idea where you're going to point it. You will need a strong transponder on a sat to start aiming and trying to grab a signal. Your receiver will have to be set correctly for the LNBF.
You'll have a lot of swinging the dish left and right of the ballpark azimuth and some up and down elevation adjustments.
Try searching the forums here for other posts to help you out.
Make sure your skew angle is at least close to what you're told to use.
Remember. Offset dishes reflect at an angle from the LNBF to the dish and up to a sat. Just an 1/8th of an inch of bracket bend will have you going nuts thinking why does it say to aim the dish at......23 degrees up....and you cant find signal.
Up and down, left and right. That's the drill.
Commit yourself and just get a Stab motor mount and a decent dish. Your headaches will diminish.

Hello Guys
thanks so much for your great info

I'm sorry for my inexperience
its estrange but I can setup a dish from scratch but I wanted to experiment with existing dishes just to see what it can be done with the new equipment to make them work and learn more about dishes.

anyways,

Yes, I have a 30" dish with an old LNB whatever they left me there including the Directv
so I already bought my new Receiver and LNB you guys recommended me, great.
I wanted to try the new equipment with those old dishes just to see what it can happen.

but forget about it.
my ultimate goal is buying a 36" dish with a motor, I mention this previously
and hook it up to my new equipment.

Thanks so much guys this is a great thread to reference from.
i'm sure there is many people out there trying to do something like my attempt experiments
with old dishes so they know what to expect.

Thanks
Have a wonderful time
stay safe and healthy

Freddy V

Hello Guys
Good morning!

Last night I got my new Amiko Mini HD265 FTA Receiver, and my MAVERICK KU BAND PLL LNBF , Great!!
I was checking out the receiver and just looking at the satellites menu I did not find the same settings as someone post it here for me in the Galaxy 19 satellite.

GALAXY 19 (97.0W)
LNB power.................ON
LNB Type...................Standard
LNB Freq....................10750
22KHZ.........................OFF
TP Freq........................(Visit Galaxy 19 at 97.0°W - LyngSat to find active TPs but maybe try 12152 H 20000 first)
DIESsqC 1.0.................OFF
Motor ............................OFF

but here is a picture from my receiver for Galaxy 19 settings,
one of my concerns is the TP Index line on my receiver vs the one above is TP Freq, I cannot match the same numbers
in my receiver, it just gives me 2 options and thats it.

can you guys let me know if the settings below are correct for the Galaxy 19?

1595946447267.png

also, my location Longitude and latitude are
1595946894472.png

My settings in my receiver it should be like this?

1595947551282.png

The recommendation says .....
TP Freq........................(Visit Galaxy 19 at 97.0°W - LyngSat to find active TPs but maybe try 12152 H 20000 first)

To look up at Lyngsat for current TPs but where do I look for those values? , I don't see them.

1595948488744.png

Something else?
is it, true that this kind of satellite setup is not worth it to do it anymore because now you can get it via streaming?
I was going to buy my 36" dish and the HH90 Motor at Sadoun.com because these guys used to have great deals in
satellite motor kits.
I called the guy I used to talk to and he said to me that he is not selling those kits anymore and business on those kits are not
good anymore because streaming is taking over that I should not waste my time doing that. That now I can get it all thru internet.

But I googled this and I don't find anything about how can you get that? (FTA TV Satellites)

what this guy is talking about?
and why he is not selling this anymore?

when I just bought my new receiver and LNB because they are hot for FTA Satellites.

MMMMMMM???
Any thoughts about this?

Thanks Guys
Have a wonderful day
Freddy V

Attachments

• 1595946983653.png
    1595946983653.png
    231.3 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
You have to scroll down on lyngsat to see the Ku frequencies. They'll be below the C-band freqs.

You have to scroll down on lyngsat to see the Ku frequencies. They'll be below the C-band freqs.
Down near the bottom of the page for 97W you should find 12252 H and RT America today. That would be a good one to start with. On the right side of the picture for your receiver setting the third option down TP edit should let you enter the info above if you can't find a preinstalled list for this sat.

If you are able to do this and can peak the signal to 60% or better on both the level and quality a blind scan will find lots of international channels. Please note if both scales are not showing then you are not on the sat and will find nothing.

Regarding streaming, lot's of the channels on 97W are available by streaming. Once again try running a search on "RT america streaming"

Why play around with the dish then? It's great for leaning how things work, good sport too. Maybe a bit like why go fishing if I can get the fish at the store? If you press on and get the hang of it then you can go fishing on the satellites for feeds. That's when it real sporty and fun.

Thanks so much for helping
and I'm sorry but near the bottom of that page I don't see any value exactly like that only this one.

1595962564490.png

is that the one?
and how do you know that's the one I need to pick up versus the others above ?

Sorry for my stupid question but I'm not familiar with this chart.

Thanks again.

is that the one?
and how do you know that's the one I need to pick up versus the others above ?
Yes that is the one. In your photo of the receiver above you are set to 97 C. You need to move one more satellite and you will see 97W Ku. :)
From there 12152 should already be in the list.

That particular one is chosen to give to newbies as that frequency is not used by adjacent satellites. This minimizes the chance of locking your dish onto the wrong bird. Once you find and have a good signal on that transponder, you can do a blind scan. :)

Why do I feel like I just typed this already today. :D

Ohh!
Thank you, actually you are the one I bought my new receiver\LNB from. Thank you
and I just asked you thru ebay a question on the LNB,

someone recommended me this LNB "Maverick" that supports KU Freq. which is great, but now that I'm going thru this deeper?
I see in my Lyngsat picture that I'm interested to get those spanish channels from Mexico "AZTECA" But looks like those use
C- Freqs
is that that I need to get the INVACOM QPH-031 Quad Polar Ku LNB FTA Satellite 2 Circular 2 Linear Outputs HD
or the MAVERICK will do it too?

Thanks again.
Freddy V.

Ohh!
Thank you, actually you are the one I bought my new receiver\LNB from. Thank you
and I just asked you thru ebay a question on the LNB,

someone recommended me this LNB "Maverick" that supports KU Freq. which is great, but now that I'm going thru this deeper?
I see in my Lyngsat picture that I'm interested to get those spanish channels from Mexico "AZTECA" But looks like those use
C- Freqs
is that that I need to get the INVACOM QPH-031 Quad Polar Ku LNB FTA Satellite 2 Circular 2 Linear Outputs HD
or the MAVERICK will do it too?

Thanks again.
Freddy V.
No, a KU lnbf won't get c band. You will need a c band lnbf like the Titanium C1-PLL you mentioned in your first post and you can't get most c band channels even with a c band lnbf if you put it on a small dish. You need a large c band dish, like I mentioned earlier in this thread. :)

Ok, I see.
I didn't know that now they are separated.
I remembered I setup this with my Viewsat PVR 7000 Receiver and the invicom LNB and I got all those channels.
with the 36" dish.

I moved out from that house I set that up and left the dish there with the motor.......Dammm!!
and it's been around 10 years I didn't touch none of that so I'm catching up with this again.

Thanks to all for helping, pretty nice there is still Forums about this.

Have a wonderful day.
Freddy V.

Ok, I see.
I didn't know that now they are separated.
I remembered I setup this with my Viewsat PVR 7000 Receiver and the invicom LNB and I got all those channels.
with the 36" dish.

I moved out from that house I set that up and left the dish there with the motor.......Dammm!!
and it's been around 10 years I didn't touch none of that so I'm catching up with this again.

Thanks to all for helping, pretty nice there is still Forums about this.

Have a wonderful day.
Freddy V.

Most likely the AZTECA channels used to be on Ku and then got moved to C-band.

Perhaps that's why it is confusing you as to what will be needed to receive them.

Google "c-band dish images" to get an idea of what is needed.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Yes, you are right.
all that could've happened but I just jumped into this to setup some good entertainment.
but I'm running into all this now.
the other part that I was barely learning how to setup a dish but I think I can start having some fun with all this great info you guys just gave me.

I got all the pieces that I can put them together.

Thanks so much again
I really appreciate it.

Have a wonderful day
Stay safe.

Freddy V.

If you have broadband internet it looks like you could stream AZTECA tv using hulu. Free trial, $6 per month. That's just the first one I checked. Other streaming services have it too. Might even find it at lower cost.

Hello guys

I'm trying to setup a Dish with "NO" motor, pointing to the Galaxy 97
here are my points of location I have:

1596489924370.png

If you notice the city location numbers are different than the satellite location numbers.
The city is calling Latitude and Longitude when the satellite location is calling Elevation and Azimuth.

Then, if the Latitude number is the same as the Elevation but they are a little different.
the city Latitude is 37.3382 and the Satellite Elevation is 39.4

Now, in the receiver I got, Amiko Mini HD265 FTA Receiver.
I have this problem, in the page below to setup my receiver, well? I don't even know if this page is for me to setup the receiver or just for me to calculate the correct number? plus are those the numbers I supposed to put there?, I mean
for a fixed receiver with no motor, what numbers I should use?, the City numbers or the satellite numbers? in the page below.
1596491022787.png

the problem I have with this page is that every time I get out of this page my number disappeared, Does it supposed to do that?
the same thing does when I setup the satellite Galaxy 97, once I get out of the page, it doesn't retain the numbers.
why is that?

Since I'm testing, I have to re-enter these numbers over and over again.
why it doesn't save them? or how it supposed to work?

anyways,
I'm a little confused with these numbers below and where do I have to enter them?, remember, I have no motor.

1596491187666.png

Thanks guys
Have a wonderful day
Freddy V.

Attachments

• 1596490839955.png
    1596490839955.png
    322.1 KB · Views: 113
Your local longitude would be MINUS 121.89.
If you cannot enter the minus, then enter 360 - 121.89 = 238.11 (instead of - 121.89)

Same applies to 97W: should be MINUS 097; or 360-97 = 263.

It is just for you, those calculations, though, I think.
Normally only a motorized setup, using USALS, would require your LAT and LON for the motor angle calculation.

Does this help?

Greetz,
A33

Edit: Typo. in the decimals...

Last edited:
That is just something to help you aim your dish. As in giving you the angles you need when you are outside at your dish. So no need to save them. Also, you have them from dishpoiner I see. You don't enter those numbers anywhere in your receiver, unless you have a motor. The 39.4 is what you PHYSICALLY set your elevation outside at your dish. The azimuth is the general direction your dish will be pointing.

Since you don't have a motor, it's not necessary to put your latitude and longitude into the receiver memory. Anyway, once you get the dish elevation set, you'll move your dish, by hand rotating it on the pole, east of true south until you get a signal. If you can accurately determine where the true azimuth is, then you can get things in the ballpark by rotating the dish to point in that direction and then move the dish east to west or west to east until you get a signal. Sometimes the dish elevation may need to be adjusted up or down. If you're lucky you'll get a signal right of the bat. A satellite signal strength meter would be very handy in helping you get on target.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)