Help with Satmex 5

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mr.crane

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Here is setup, Pansat 3500, Geosat 90cm, Geosat Pro Universal Bullet.

Settings on receiver Satmex 5, 11740 V 3000

Lnb tried both Universal 1 and 2

Skew was set at -5deg on both receiver and lnb

Using my Satlook Mark 111, Found great signals in the direction, according
to Dishpointer. Get no Quality at all. Any input appreciated.

symbol rate is 30000 on it

From what I have read, the satellite might be having issues. Yesterday it was a PITA for me to get that TP to log in here in Minnesota. The footprint sucks here in the northern states but that TP use to be hot

symbol rate is 30000 on it

From what I have read, the satellite might be having issues. Yesterday it was a PITA for me to get that TP to log in here in Minnesota. The footprint sucks here in the northern states but that TP use to be hot

Iceberg thanks for response, my lnb is the Geosat bullet, on the box it says
Universal Single LNBF, so do I select Universal 1 or Universal 2, on my receiver
settings. Will try again tomorrow, so then when I used 3000, not wonder no
quality, signal is 82, but without quality no picture.

I believe that transponder is data-only (Hughesnet)? If so, even if you get a quality reading, there will be no video.

Right, but I get no Quality. But like Iceberg mentioned, I manually inputed
transponder and sid, which i put 3000, suppose to use 30000, I guess that
would explain no Quality. Let you all know tomorrow, will go at it again.

Right, but I get no Quality. But like Iceberg mentioned, I manually inputed
transponder and sid, which i put 3000, suppose to use 30000, I guess that
would explain no Quality. Let you all know tomorrow, will go at it again.

Ah, I understand now, thought when you mentioned no picture you were looking for video, and I had incorrectly assumed the "3000" was a typo. Sounds like you're on the right track now, good luck.

Found SatMex 5! Missing Channels

Ok. finally setup my tripod temorarily, to experiment. Found SatMex 5, but only
got 2 channels. Using of course geosat90cm, Pansat 3500, and the geosat bullet
universal lnb. lnb is set to universal 1
I get 12024 H, which is ESNE TV, also get 12165 H BYU channel.
Could not Find XEWT 12 From Tijuana.

Did a couple of sateliite scans, and also Blind Scan, which the 3500 has.
It was a little cloudy. Quality was going from 37 to 41, back and forth.
Also played around with the Skew on the LNB. But I am happy I did Find it.
here are some pics.

Attachments

• P2110063.JPG
    P2110063.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 165
  • P2110064.JPG
    P2110064.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 166
  • P2110065.JPG
    P2110065.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 164
  • P2110066.JPG
    P2110066.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 186
Ok. finally setup my tripod temorarily, to experiment. Found SatMex 5, but only
got 2 channels. Using of course geosat90cm, Pansat 3500, and the geosat bullet
universal lnb. lnb is set to universal 1
I get 12024 H, which is ESNE TV, also get 12165 H BYU channel.
Could not Find XEWT 12 From Tijuana.

Did a couple of sateliite scans, and also Blind Scan, which the 3500 has.
It was a little cloudy. Quality was going from 37 to 41, back and forth.
Also played around with the Skew on the LNB. But I am happy I did Find it.
here are some pics.

Use 11977 H, SR 1562, sometimes you'll get signal at 11974, sometimes at 11980, kinda weird that TP... LOL, but you'll have to wait at least 20-30 seconds for the signal to come.

SatMex has been having problems as of lately, one of the positioning engines or something like it, reducing 5 years it's service life, after that happened (2 weeks ago) i began to have stronger Q's in Tijuana's channel, i don't know if it's related or just a coincidence.

Cheers

M.

Use 11977 H, SR 1562, sometimes you'll get signal at 11974, sometimes at 11980, kinda weird that TP... LOL, but you'll have to wait at least 20-30 seconds for the signal to come.

SatMex has been having problems as of lately, one of the positioning engines or something like it, reducing 5 years it's service life, after that happened (2 weeks ago) i began to have stronger Q's in Tijuana's channel, i don't know if it's related or just a coincidence.

Cheers

M.

11974 /SR is that 1562 or 15620? thanks.

Yep, it's pretty low, there is another channel tough but not always scans in my receivers, sometimes one scans Tijuana's channel, sometimes it'll scan a Televisa mosaic (4 channels), but since it has the same PIDs, Symbol Rate and transponder really close to the Tijuana channel, either scans one or the other but not the two of them at the same time, one would be like 11974 and the other 11977, or 11975 and 11980, pretty weird, and i can't explain why it happens, i've even had two receivers side by side, one slaved to the other, with one displaying the mosaic but no channel 12, and the other one displaying channel 12 but not even a sniff out of the mosaic.

M.

Yep, it's pretty low, there is another channel tough but not always scans in my receivers, sometimes one scans Tijuana's channel, sometimes it'll scan a Televisa mosaic (4 channels), but since it has the same PIDs, Symbol Rate and transponder really close to the Tijuana channel, either scans one or the other but not the two of them at the same time, one would be like 11974 and the other 11977, or 11975 and 11980, pretty weird, and i can't explain why it happens, i've even had two receivers side by side, one slaved to the other, with one displaying the mosaic but no channel 12, and the other one displaying channel 12 but not even a sniff out of the mosaic.

M.

I could not get Televisa or Tijuana, but can you save what you scanned, so when
you go to that bird again, you will see what you saved

Sure... is just that sometimes it behaves that way with a coolsat i was able to get only the Mosaic, no matter what, with a panny only the Televisa Tijuana would show up... it's pretty weird LOL. I have both channels saved in my pansat but i'm able to only tune one of them, i don't know if there's something in the PAT or something like it that diff receivers interpret it different, like when the Little League World Series was underway, some receivers would scan the same channel but with diff name from Star Wars (Skywalker, Millenium Falcom, etc.), i think there's something along those lines :p.

Cheers

M.

Sure... is just that sometimes it behaves that way with a coolsat i was able to get only the Mosaic, no matter what, with a panny only the Televisa Tijuana would show up... it's pretty weird LOL. I have both channels saved in my pansat but i'm able to only tune one of them, i don't know if there's something in the PAT or something like it that diff receivers interpret it different, like when the Little League World Series was underway, some receivers would scan the same channel but with diff name from Star Wars (Skywalker, Millenium Falcom, etc.), i think there's something along those lines :p.

Cheers

M.
Thnks, once I get my system setup on side of roof with pole, it will be
alot easier to experiment with a motorized system. right now you know
am using tripod, and moving dish manual. will play around with it again
today, if we get no rain. by the way, what does your system consist of?

At my house:

1 Prime focus (fiberglass) 10 ft dish with a BSC621-2 C/Ku band LNBF.
1 Prime focus (fiberglass) 8ft ft dish with one of those C2 (dual output C band LNBF).

A friend gave me these dishes i'll talk about a bit later, so i gave a couple of them to a family that lives in a rural place in here (Ensenada, Baja California), so they could get a little bit of programming for them and their children (they're a catholic family, pretty poor, that helped us a lot when my nephew was pretty sick in the hospital), now they can get 97ºW Ku (it has a couple channels with cartoons and US series = Irak 1 or Irak 2) and 101ºW Ku (Setanta, History, Bio, a couple of religious spanish channels), but i've been in the hunt for a Prime focus to install it at their house so they can get all those cultural channels at SatMex sats:

1 Offset dish (1.1 meter), Chaparral LNBF 0.3 db Universal LNB
1 Offset dish (1.1 meter), Chaparral LNBF 0.3 db dual output Universal LNB

These i still have them but rarely use them:
2 Offset dishes (3 ft), both of them with a Chaparral 0.4 (i think) db Universal LNB

I replaced most of my Ku LNBs in the past 3-4 months due to a couple of them being fried in the past storm in here, and one smashed to the ground.

Televisa Tijuana and the Mosaic i only get them using either prime focus, with booming upper 90's in quality, with the offset dishes i've had pretty bad luck, i can only get 40-50 Q readings.

Receiver wise, I only use modest toys:
2 Pansat 2500a
1 Fortec Lifetime Ultra
1 CaptiveWorks 700 <--- Got them pretty cheap :D
1 CaptiveWorks 600s Premium <--- Got them pretty cheap :D
And a Viewsat Ultra Lite USB that a friend just gave me.

Cheers :)

M.

At my house:

1 Prime focus (fiberglass) 10 ft dish with a BSC621-2 C/Ku band LNBF.
1 Prime focus (fiberglass) 8ft ft dish with one of those C2 (dual output C band LNBF).

A friend gave me these dishes i'll talk about a bit later, so i gave a couple of them to a family that lives in a rural place in here (Ensenada, Baja California), so they could get a little bit of programming for them and their children (they're a catholic family, pretty poor, that helped us a lot when my nephew was pretty sick in the hospital), now they can get 97ºW Ku (it has a couple channels with cartoons and US series = Irak 1 or Irak 2) and 101ºW Ku (Setanta, History, Bio, a couple of religious spanish channels), but i've been in the hunt for a Prime focus to install it at their house so they can get all those cultural channels at SatMex sats:

1 Offset dish (1.1 meter), Chaparral LNBF 0.3 db Universal LNB
1 Offset dish (1.1 meter), Chaparral LNBF 0.3 db dual output Universal LNB

These i still have them but rarely use them:
2 Offset dishes (3 ft), both of them with a Chaparral 0.4 (i think) db Universal LNB

I replaced most of my Ku LNBs in the past 3-4 months due to a couple of them being fried in the past storm in here, and one smashed to the ground.

Televisa Tijuana and the Mosaic i only get them using either prime focus, with booming upper 90's in quality, with the offset dishes i've had pretty bad luck, i can only get 40-50 Q readings.

Receiver wise, I only use modest toys:
2 Pansat 2500a
1 Fortec Lifetime Ultra
1 CaptiveWorks 700 <--- Got them pretty cheap :D
1 CaptiveWorks 600s Premium <--- Got them pretty cheap :D
And a Viewsat Ultra Lite USB that a friend just gave me.

Cheers :)

M.

Man,wish I could have a bunch of systems like that, especially the C-band dishes. but you know my situation, 1meter is largest allowed here. Ensenada, never been there, I go to TJ on a quarterly basis, to visit family in National City.
They other day, when I was playing with Satmex5, at times I could see, quality
go up to 90. but when I tighten bolts, went down to 41 percent. This morning
beautiful day, will move dish manually to look at other birds. By the way, nice gesture on your part, helping needy families. Galaxy 25, how does the Aztecas come in?

Last edited:
Aztecas come really strong here, but since we get those channels OTA i just set them up with those other sats, i was going to set up Telemundo, but they said they don't like to watch 'telenovelas', but still i'm thinking about installing a dish for them :p (one can never have enough News).

By the way... have you tried using a scalar ring on a C Band LNBF installed on an offset? i've had reports of that set up working in 4 ft offsets, not a lot of TP, but since you're relatively close to the border and SatMex satellites are focused to the nort region of México maybe you could have luck with a bunch of transponders from SatMex 6 (the stronger of the 3 satmex ---> one sat it's used only for data so it's not reported).

I just saw the opportunity to help them get even a bit of the world we're enjoying, and since nowadays there are a lot of receivers being discarded by the pirates, i got a fortec star lifetime ultra for 15 dlls, and that's what they have in their house.

TJ... it's a nice city for short stays only :p, the government has been hitting the 'narcos' pretty hard so they are resorting to kill each other (narcos) in a struggle to be the only ones dominating the region, so it's been pretty bad for the people in that city with so many fights, hopefully everything regains the calm (altough... yesterday the Mexican army discovered a tunnel going fron Tijuana's Custom to San Ysidro US Customs, surely there'll be a lot of custom agents fired.

Well... hopefully you can catch the channel :D, we've got to enjoy it while it lasts because Charlie Ergen is trying to buy the SatMex satellites (3 of them plus a new one arriving later this year), and i don't think he is too friendly with FTA.

Cheers my friend!

M.

Have not tried c-scaler rings or lnb. not sure if the geosat 96cm would work with
c-band feeds, would like to hear from others who have tried.
Yes, TJ, for my wife and I is usuall a 4 hr stay, we leave will its still daylight.
Was trying to find g25 fro aztecas, ended up finding 97 west instead. no
wonder could not find aztecas, took dish down for now. will play again
tomorrow, thats whats nice about having a tripod, but cant wait to
set it up with motor.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)