Help with Traxis setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

teleman

Original poster
Aug 28, 2010
midwest Cincinnati
Hi ,
hope this is the right place to get help setting up a FTA Dish and receiver. I have a 39" off set dish and a digipower SG-2100 motor. The receiver is a Traxis DBS4000, I can not get the motor to change satellites I have to do it with the remote. Also, I am having trouble getting SES1 101.W. I have set it using USALS how should the receiver be set.
Thanks

Is the dish tracking the satellite arc? Can you pick up any signals at all? Need to know what you've done so far, setup has been covered many times here, it would help us to learn how you went about setting up the dish and motor. A picture or two might help too. Welcome to the best forum for fta!

HI ,
Here is some of the info I did not have on my post . My Longitude -84.360 Latitude 38.9489 ,Motor Latitude 38.9 , Dish Elevation 24 Declination Angle 6.1 . My LNB is a Invacom QPH-031 and Yes, I am geting 91W Galaxy 17 and 110W Echostar 10 But very Few Channels on both . I have tried changing the Dish Angle to 30 and the S and Q are much better in the 80s & 90s I use a Johnson Magnetic angle locator to keep plumb.The receiver is terrible(Traxis 4000), I have an easyfind LNB, it's a joke! BTW who makes a good receiver for FTA.
Thanks,
Jim

Here's a link to one setup guide :
How to install an HH Mount DiSEqC USALS Motor? Applies to DG280, DG280B, DG380, STAB HH100, HH120, Moteck SG2100
I might suggest leaving off the motor and just learning how to aim at one satellite, for a day or two, to learn the tricks of aiming the dish. Once you learn how to do it on a fixed dish, the motorized setup comes easier. But since you're already halfway there, I'd watch those videos and see if you can determine where your technique is lacking. If that is no help, post back and let us try harder to help.
Don't know about that particular traxis, but a lot of us used (or use) the traxis 3500, is still one of the fastest scanning boxes around. Is standard def only though, and mine tends to lock up whenever it scans in an HD signal, sometimes to the point of having to power down, unplug the satellite cable, and power up to delete the offending feed! Depends on what kind of use you intend for your receiver-do you like to search for things like sports feeds and news, or just want to watch some existing channels without having to search for stuff? I'll take my Icon 550 over anything I've tried, but the Fortecs and Coolsats get good reviews here. Pansat 9200 will do HD signals, and the two newer ones that get talked about a lot here are the Azbox, and the Sathawk, look around for threads on those boxes in the forum.

Hi ,
I have found all the satellites that I am looking for right now, but I can not get the receiver to turn the dish when I change satellites . only way I can change direction is by the East- West buttons on the remote.
Any ideas on how I can fix this . It is a Traxis 4000
Thanks
Jim

Have you set it up for motor on each satellite? You may have to activate USALS on each satellite you want . Also you will need to enter your latitude/longitude somewhere in the menus for motor setup. The manual should have some information on the particulars for your model.

HI ,
Yes, I have set each satellite ,set my latitude and longitude many times . The receiver says moving dish please wait but nothing happens, it will not move. Is it a bad receiver , all of this is new, nothing used or old.
Thanks
Jim

teleman - How long is the cable run from the receiver to the motor, and are there any splices/splits in the cable?

I used to have troubles with my motor not moving unless I picked a Horizontal transponder which uses 18 volts. Whenever I would try to move to a satellite using a vertical transponder, my dish wouldn't move. My issue turned out to be a cable issue. I used a new cable with compression fittings, and it works fantastic now.

Have you tried taking the receiver out close to the dish and hooking up maybe a 20 ft piece of cable from the receiver to the dish to see if that helps?

Good call, Davage, I missed that detail entirely. Sounds like a haywire connection or just a messed up receiver.

Hi ,
We take the receiver to the dish with less than 10' of cable [new cable ] . I can turn the dish with the remote control East and West , when I try to change satellites, on the TV monitor it says moving dish please wait. The dish will not move , why does it move with the remote control and not when you change Satellites.
Thanks for all your help
Jim

teleman said:
Hi ,
We take the receiver to the dish with less than 10' of cable [new cable ] . I can turn the dish with the remote control East and West , when I try to change satellites, on the TV monitor it says moving dish please wait. The dish will not move , why does it move with the remote control and not when you change Satellites.
Thanks for all your help
Jim

Does the LED on the motor blink when you change satellites? If not, the STB is not issuing the DiSEqC command. Has West Longitude and North Latitude been selected in the motor set-up menu? This is a common mistake during USALS configuration. Have you contacted your reseller customer support? They might be more familiar with this model.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)