Here we go again.. another Voom failure story?

orl2222

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 25, 2004
Ok, my Voom HD experience has lasted exactly one day. My STB looks like it went haywire. I've got tons of freezing, pixization. Bounces from 97 to 0. I've had to do hard boots on the hour, every hour. Not even the the OTA signal strength is working. As mentioned in my install post, I was not too happy with the installs inc. installer. I did finally get ahold of a decent CSR, who has ordered me a new STB.(boy that was tough, the previous one I contacted was carrying on a conversation with her boyfriend on the cell phone, while trying to fix my problem, telling me to hold while she carried on with her boyfriend). Now I've been told it will be two weeks before i can get a new STB. I'm getting very frustrated here. I wil be patient, but overall, The CSR's are quite lousy, along with the install inc, installers.
I'm not trying to be a anti-VOOM advocate, I really want the service, and the programing they offer.
To be honest, I do have D* as well. I feel that D* is way more responsive to customer needs. When I upgraded to HD with them awhile back, the installer was very professional, took the time to explain things to me, even gave me his personal cell number if there was any problems. Any time I have called D*, the CSR's were very professional, and needs were meet right away.
I hope Voom does succeed, If it doesn't it's not because of the programing they offer, it will be because of poor customer service.

orl2222 said:
Ok, my Voom HD experience has lasted exactly one day. My STB looks like it went haywire. I've got tons of freezing, pixization. Bounces from 97 to 0. I've had to do hard boots on the hour, every hour. Not even the the OTA signal strength is working. As mentioned in my install post, I was not too happy with the installs inc. installer. I did finally get ahold of a decent CSR, who has ordered me a new STB.(boy that was tough, the previous one I contacted was carrying on a conversation with her boyfriend on the cell phone, while trying to fix my problem, telling me to hold while she carried on with her boyfriend). Now I've been told it will be two weeks before i can get a new STB. I'm getting very frustrated here. I wil be patient, but overall, The CSR's are quite lousy, along with the install inc, installers.
I'm not trying to be a anti-VOOM advocate, I really want the service, and the programing they offer.
To be honest, I do have D* as well. I feel that D* is way more responsive to customer needs. When I upgraded to HD with them awhile back, the installer was very professional, took the time to explain things to me, even gave me his personal cell number if there was any problems. Any time I have called D*, the CSR's were very professional, and needs were meet right away.
I hope Voom does succeed, If it doesn't it's not because of the programing they offer, it will be because of poor customer service.

Some of the symptoms you mention may well be fixed by the latest firmware that all of the rest of us are running (.68). If you had it only one day, then you probably have not gotten the latest. Is the time correct? If not, then leave it turned off overnight and it should update.

orl2222 said:

I'm sure on this site it's been posted a million times before, but not everyone can read every thread, but I seemed to have the same problem and I am a Voomer for about a month or so. Recently I have had the same problems as you have and the reason being is I never shut my STB off. Once I followed this practice when I went to bed it never happened again. Too many things running while communication with the STB and the satellite during downloads caused my signal to drop to zero.

The latest software did load. I do turn it off every night as well. I also do not recieve OTA either, at zero. The Voom installer mounted the OTA right below my D* OTA. I am 12 miles from the Mount Wilson towers here in L.A.

So it's not a question of downloading the latest software.There is something wrong with the STB. I can reboot, get a signal of 97(latest software) then,I'm at zero signal, along with zero signal OTA as well.

orl2222 said:
...get a signal of 97(latest software) then,I'm at zero signal, along with zero signal OTA as well.
orl2222,
make sure to check and tighten all connections. Could be a loose contact on your coax cable. Do you have a diplexor? Make sure it is properly attached too.

check all connections, could be LNB but no OTA sounds like either bad software download or call for a Rush on a new STB

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)