Here's an idea... Why no HD via HITS??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lonewolf454

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 27, 2009
Georgia, US
We can get most Comcast/HITS channels on AMC18/105W with 4dtv, why don't they offer any HD?

For that matter, it would be nice if Comcast would just offer us a nice package that includes the HD they have on c-band, and we still have our dish to view whatever feeds we want.

Getting HD is only hope for future of 4dtv I think, and with HITS in DCII, why not?? NPS could probably care less. I just signed up and they sent me a xeroxed channel lineup, can't even make out half of it, envelope it came in said All American direct, all they seem to be worried about is the small dish.

WE HAVE THE BETTER PICTURE!!

The problem isn't with COMCAST / HITS. The problem is with Motorola. Once they are out of the equation we can look for things to happen. Until then no one can do any thing about it.

They even refuse to allow HD commercial receivers to be activated for home use.

Yeah, they never let any other mfg make a 4dtv receiver. Look how many analog receivers were made, even echo* had one. We were set up from the get go it appears from GI. They wanted it all for theirself, then moto moves in and only wants commercial users. Not good.

How many 4dtv subs are there, if there is around 50,000 a $30 a month sub would be a significant amount of money for provider, not to mention most people would jump hurdles to get a new receiver.

Going to get my RayDX 10' mesh today, later.

Motorola has single handedly screwed things up again, what else is new for that company. The HITS HD channels are in megapipe (combo) modes so a HDD 200 wouldn't work even if they sold it to us. Now the Starchoice 505 or a Voom 550 in theory will decode the HITS HD and megapipe. But they would have to be set up to be authorized & mapped.

Here's a suggestion have HITS run in ZERO key :eek: then we could use an old Voom box to watch it for free. We would have to write our own maps and get them in the box somehow though. Of course that won't happen. :(

When Motorola is out of the picture we need to try again.

505 would be a waste, the 630 is the only receiver with any potential, the fact that the 505 would require an add on board and the fact the HITS would most probably switch to dvb-s2 in the not so distant future dvb-s2 is a must.

505 would be a waste, the 630 is the only receiver with any potential, the fact that the 505 would require an add on board and the fact the HITS would most probably switch to dvb-s2 in the not so distant future dvb-s2 is a must.

Is Shaw running S2 MPEG 4 currently?

Good question, I'm not sure, I think they have a few transponders up for testing, the 630 is suppose to be released in 2010. What month? is still a good question but according from a inside source Shaw has some in possession and are testing them.

Why is everybody blaming Motorola?
Our receivers CAN handle HD we just need to buy a device that hooks up to the slot behind the receiver I don't remember what it's called HDD 1000 or something like that our equipment is more then enough for HD.
The problem is that most people that even had c band went for dishnetwork and directtv that the low amount of subscribers the providers have are not enough to invest in.
I heard there are like 25k people in the whole country that have a working c band dish and only like half of them have 4dtv and subscribe to some programming.
The thing is it costs a LOT OF MONEY to build a system that will uplink HD and because we aren't that many it's not worth it to spent tat money because they won't get their invesment back with the amount of subscribers they have.
I know that because my father is a retired tv station manager and he told me it costs like a few millions just to convert from analog to standard definition digital.
That's why most stations are going for other means like fiber optics and leaving c band.

Motorola refuses to make a new receiver for C band that can handle megapipe, Mpeg 4, H 264, HD etc. The HDD 200 that connects to the 4DTV has very little to look at anymore since it's only Mpeg 2. Most DC 2 HD has or is migrating to Mpeg 4. Only commercial receivers and a couple Starchoice boxes will decode that.

<Dannymcenrow> Why is everybody blaming Motorola?

I will repost the important clips so we have no confusion here

The HITS HD channels are in megapipe (combo) modes so a HDD 200 wouldn't work even if they sold it to us.

The HDD 200 that connects to the 4DTV has very little to look at anymore since it's only Mpeg 2. Most DC 2 HD has or is migrating to Mpeg 4. Only commercial receivers and a couple Starchoice boxes will decode that.

motorola will probably eventually put theirselves out of the game giving way to scientific atlanta. it seems to be the trend for the most part. it looks to me that from a consumer view that Moto is now in the business of cellphones and two way radios. their cash cow is not tv distribution.

> Shaw runs MPEG4 8PSK on HD and a couple SD channels not DVB-S2.

The DC2 decoder gets that correctly? Is it true DVB compliant or is it still based on the hacked protocol of DC2?

considering dcII is not true mpeg either or at least not like the rest of the planet it probably is.
megapipe is the worst thing that ever happened to us 4Dtv people.
then what's even worse is that the access control center won't allow us to activate a commercial unit legitimately even if we wanted to.

If hits ever goes completely powervu or any form of HD were out of the game. I look for HBO, Max, starz, etc to cut us off one day when
their Standard def DCII feeds are not worth keeping up. Our days are numbered for sure. SD will be a thing of the past in the very near future.
As more and more legacy equipment and legacy cable decoders gets phased out....the dreadful day will come....

"Dear subscriber,
We regret to inform you that as of (insert date here), programming via your current 4DTV system will no longer be
available. We are sorry for any inconvienience this may cause. We are currently offering a free 4 room satellite system with complete
professional installation. 250 all digital channels, free HBO for 3 months and free HD access. Call 1-800-Get-Screwed to schedule
your installation today!

Thank You.
Suckomer Service.

Someone remarked "4DTV is already dead but just hasn't fallen down yet"...

I've been bracing for it for years. When the dreaded day comes, I think I'll see what it's like with just OTA networks and THIS TV, etc and whatever feeds I can find for awhile. I bet I could get by on the dozens of RTV affiliates alone that I enjoy every evening anyway. I won't be forced into anything.

Maybe for spite, I'll sub across the border to remain different. I see too many never ending complaints about the alternatives here.

Someone remarked "4DTV is already dead but just hasn't fallen down yet"...

I've been bracing for it for years. When the dreaded day comes, I think I'll see what it's like with just OTA networks and THIS TV, etc and whatever feeds I can find for awhile. I bet I could get by on the dozens of RTV affiliates alone that I enjoy every evening anyway. I won't be forced into anything.

Maybe for spite, I'll sub across the border to remain different. I see too many never ending complaints about the alternatives here.

4DTV will be around for a while still. When it does go unless we get some substitution for C band. Starchoice will be in my future for subscription tv. I already have the receiver online and dish connected. :)

I know 4dtv is gonna die very soon but I bet that over 3 years Dishnet and Directv are gonna be in the same situation 4dtv is in now.
Because I know some people at work already who cancelled their subscription to their cable systems and went on to depent on Ota and what's available on the Internet.
I think when more and more free stuff becomes available on the internet more people are gonna end their subs and then subscribing is gonna be a thing of the past.
Because right now you pay a lot of money to subscribe and when you wan't to watch tv like on a sunday morning all you get are infomercials and the internet can offer tv on DEMAND that can let you watch whatever you wan't at the right time.
Maybe free to air is gonna be the future then too because I have both I have 4dtv and free to air but their are a lot more channels for free right now then back in the 90's.
Even History channel is free on Ku band there are like abc news and stuff like that RFd tv and a lot of stuff.
My daughter is even starting to watch Jctv and SOAC more then Disney channel.
I bet even today if you have a big dish,a free to air receiver and a computer you can get more then enough tv that you won't need to subscribe to anything.
I'm still subscribing to 4dtv mainly for the discovery's and Versus but there are days that I only watch free to air stuff.

Once the programmers realize they can cut out the middle man (IE Cable and DTV / Dish) it might occur to them their is a viable market with very little investment.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)